Mach 1

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
Monty, that stud is either threaded or at least serrated, i didnt check what size threads though, i would think a 6mm or 8mm.

You can always use the positive battery stud that enters the fuse box on the engine side.

We are talking some amps here so any mods/add ons need a fuseable link or some type of fuse.
Sponsored

jst2bd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid
I heard that you can use the jump post to trickle charge? Tried it with my smart charger, but it wouldn't let me, kept saying low voltage.

But connecting directly to the battery under the back seat worked fine, voltage was in the 12V range.

And yes I tried looking through the manual, maybe I just missed it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mach 1

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, i dont know if i would charge it from under the hood especially if we are having problems with bad connection on one of the cables(and that maybe why you had that error).

I like to charge batteries right at the source..battery..

Now jumping it is another story..

The post is somehow linked through the fuse box or at least connected to it. When you charge from way far forward you are assuming all the connections are sound.

Mikknj

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Luxury CO360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow. okay. I don't know if there are any Maverick engineers who can chime in here to verify the ratings of the various circuits in play here. But, this is clever. a 2000 Watt inverter is pulling at minimum 166 Amps at 12 volts and probably double that during peak of 4000 watts. The efficiency of the inverter is probably less than 80% so add at least 16 Amps to 32 amps on top of that - So MAX that's 364 Amps at 12V . The average jump start amperage appears to be about 400 Amps or less. So that sounds fine, assuming your current draw is using the same wiring that a typical jump start would cary at the jump points at the engine. The battery will give you that 400 Amps until it can't - and as soon as the Voltage drops the HVB probably starts to recharge the low volt battery. Assuming your tools are only drawing from the battery intermittently - a low duty cycle, I think the system can keep up. The engine should fire up when needed to charge the HVB. This seems ok to me, but I'm a chicken, so won't do it on my Maverick.
A 2000w inverter does not pull a minimum of 166 amps. It depends on what you have plugged in. You would have to be running something using the full 2000w to be pulling 166 amps. A lot of people like to use inverters larger than what they need to never run the inverter at maximum output.
[/QUOTE]

That's true. I should have said a minimum of 166 Amps at rated 2000 watts. That's important. But even at 166 amps I Think the system can handle it. And that's interesting,

OP
OP
Mach 1

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you are going to be maxing the invertor out, you will need to hard wire that invertor to the battery, a good mounting place would be under the seat next to the 12v. You really should run a 2 gauge or even a 1 gauge battery cable. If you do mount under the seat, i would suggest you raise the rear seat for ventilation.

Theres no way its going to be safe under the hood using OEM wiring. Thats too much pull on the wiring system, an overload condition is eminent. Too far from battery/ too much pull for OEM capacity.

I have ran some 00 gauge for some stereo systems or for diesel engine application remote battery install. You do want to get this right as the alternative is not pretty. You might even consider a larger battery as well. 470ah doesnt go very far. When you are into it this deep, now the next weak point would be size of wiring from HVB to 12v battery, and how much amps is max.

Dang this is deep.

Sponsored

Montykeel

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Monty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011Escape Hybrid and 2022 XL Poverty Edition
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thanks everyone. Don't have a Mav yet and hadn't really thought it all the way through. I'll figure out how to connect the inverter directly to the battery if we use it in the Mav. AND I'll leave the seat up.

wax87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

With the hybrid battery cable in question, i went under the hood to make sure i knew exactly how to energize the Mav. I recomend anyone who hasnt checked out where/how to connect jump box to do so by the owners manual.

What i saw on mine is the positive connection is on the front side of the fuse box under a red plastic cover. The red cover is a little tough to remove and access is to the engine side. I would recomend at least identify if not remove the red plastic cover, just in case we need to jump it. Hope this helps anyone out there in the hybrid family.
20220611_123336.jpg
20220611_123330.jpg
did you do a sound measurement before you added the sound deadening material?

OP
OP
Mach 1

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wax..no seat of the pants..i did alot of tap tap..this was like my 10 vehicle i have done. So i have a basic knowledge of audio systems and more importantly the environment which the audio is to perform. Theres 2 sides to the audio 1) what everyone does..improve the OEM equipment
2) what everyone misses..improve the audio environment to make 'dead' space, including bass traps and extended use of CCF. This one does more for me. Ever hear were the guy puts 2000w into 4 12"s and everything rattles..panels..the entire car.

Monty..you got all kinds of time to decide, you are doing huge to yourself for being here and learning. Just keep researching make good decisions and you will be just fine. Electricity is dangerous it just needs to be treated with respect.

Hope this helps..

wyouger

First Name
Williard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger
Wyouger, the 12v battery is lead acid..sealed supposedly, but has a drain/overflow hose coming out of it..its really easy to access.

I think its 470ah, raise rear seat, pull battery box top off and its sitting there looking at ya..
I wish it was looking at me. 10 months and counting. :)

wyouger

First Name
Williard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger
Wax..no seat of the pants..i did alot of tap tap..this was like my 10 vehicle i have done. So i have a basic knowledge of audio systems and more importantly the environment which the audio is to perform. Theres 2 sides to the audio 1) what everyone does..improve the OEM equipment
2) what everyone misses..improve the audio environment to make 'dead' space, including bass traps and extended use of CCF. This one does more for me. Ever hear were the guy puts 2000w into 4 12"s and everything rattles..panels..the entire car.

Monty..you got all kinds of time to decide, you are doing huge to yourself for being here and learning. Just keep researching make good decisions and you will be just fine. Electricity is dangerous it just needs to be treated with respect.

Hope this helps..
No

OP
OP
Mach 1

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
W..sorry I didn't realize you don't have yours yet..however u r doing good and getting a jump on the knowledge..I did it backward, bought first and then learn. Trying to share all that I learn as I go, I am a mod freak and have done this to all my vehicles in the last 40yrs.
Sponsored