First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Focus, 2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone able to compare the hybrid Maverick to the hybrid escape? We're thinking of getting a hybrid escape for my wife.

If only they had a hybrid bronco sport.... We'd be %200 in.
Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Honestly one of these video channels like TFL or whomever really should gather the platform models and do a comparison. Engine bay, underbody, suspension, performance stats, ride, and commonality. Bronco Sport, Escape, Maverick, Transit Connect, Corsair, and the Focus.

It would be a real service to all of us and Ford, for people to know what is what on what.

aitch-2-oh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus X
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Used The Admiralā€™s ā€˜21 AWD Hybrid Escape last year to learn beforehand, a bit, about the Hybrid Maverick picked up early November.

The Suspensions are different, Maverick a bit tighter IMHO. Drive trains (FWD v AWD) different, so nothing to compare.

Deciphered over time what ā€˜the Brake Coachā€™ was telling me.

Got hints of the difference expected in MPG, both city and highway.

Did become used to the Escapeā€™s TSR screen (traffic sign recognition), which isnā€™t set up in the Maverick from The factory (really FoMoCo?), but has been rumored to be a possible retrofit within this Site if youā€™re willing to play with Foreskin (sic).

Overallā€¦a fair comparison of the comparable systems.

triangulumhalohydra

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Used The Admiralā€™s ā€˜21 AWD Hybrid Escape last year to learn beforehand, a bit, about the Hybrid Maverick picked up early November.

The Suspensions are different, Maverick a bit tighter IMHO. Drive trains (FWD v AWD) different, so nothing to compare.

Deciphered over time what ā€˜the Brake Coachā€™ was telling me.

Got hints of the difference expected in MPG, both city and highway.

Did become used to the Escapeā€™s TSR screen (traffic sign recognition), which isnā€™t set up in the Maverick from The factory (really FoMoCo?), but has been rumored to be a possible retrofit within this Site if youā€™re willing to play with Foreskin (sic).

Overallā€¦a fair comparison of the comparable systems.
I've enabled TSR and it's awesome. Followed the thread in the FORSCAN section and works perfectly. Never thought about the need for it, but now that I have it, it's so dang handy...

Morgan33

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Morgan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My wife has a 22 escape hybrid.When switching back and forth the driving part feels the same . The mav feels wider and smoother on corners. But I'm now biased.

Sponsored

Ozuye10

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick, 22 4Runner, 16 Mazda6, 12 Camry, 04 R
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Honestly one of these video channels like TFL or whomever really should gather the platform models and do a comparison. Engine bay, underbody, suspension, performance stats, ride, and commonality. Bronco Sport, Escape, Maverick, Transit Connect, Corsair, and the Focus.

It would be a real service to all of us and Ford, for people to know what is what on what.
Iā€™ll do it. A dealership wants to partner with me on doing things like this. The service department is so slammed that it may be hard to get time on the lift but Iā€™ll try.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Iā€™ll do it. A dealership wants to partner with me on doing things like this. The service department is so slammed that it may be hard to get time on the lift but Iā€™ll try.
I've never subscribed to a youtube channel but I will absolutely do it if ya do. I will even dig up the 3 or 4 old passwords for accounts I set up over the years when I forgot my ID and give ya a like on all of em!

That would be sweet. I really think of the Maverick/C2 setup as a Fox platform with 4x4 capability. I could even see em being used on circle tracks in about 25 or 30 years. My brother raced Berettas once upon a time and they dominated the compact class. Who know maybe one day we will see light weight Focuses with Tremor suspension and lincoln turbos pounding out the dirt tracks, slinging mud, going around a left hand circle turning right! I wanna build a Tremor Transit Connect myself. Who would want to swap a Lincoln interior into the Maverick and call it a Blackwood! The van lifers sure would love a Transit Connect plug in hybrid AWD. Slap a directv logo on the side and they could live anywhere there choose for pennies.

mtd14

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Chevy
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I spent a while thinking about this, since I'm getting a '22 Escape PHEV next week instead of sticking to my Mav order. After sitting in a '22 Escape SEL and '23 Maverick XLT, I think the '22 SEL Hybrid Escape SEL compares better to a Lariat Maverick. Feature-wise, the Escape comes standard with a lot that is buried in high trims & packages in the Maverick, but you can't quite compare apples to apples since the packages differ and the base prices are so different. My guess is the $34k Escape SEL Hybrid is about the equivalent of a $31k Maverick, and the general interior of the Escape felt much nicer. Not too surprising, since it costs more and has a target consumer that cares more about that.

As you know, the Escape is much more readily available. In my searches, I ran across non-hybrids and PHEVs at $4-5k under MSRP, which means you may be able to close that pricing gap. For me, I found a PHEV discounted $4k under MSRP, with 0% APR, and I'll qualify for the $7500 tax credit. Also, if I wasn't worried about the full credit expiring and couldn't find a steep discount, I 100% would order a 2023 Escape since they killed it with the exterior refresh, and made some other nice upgrades.

RonR1959

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a Maverick Lariat hybrid and my wife has a hybrid Escape SE. The Maverick is longer and heavier than the Escape even though they have the same chassis but different suspensions. The acceleration on the Escape is peppier than the Maverick even though they basically have the same eCVT. The seats are a little stiffer in the Escape. As far as cargo space, the Escape has plenty of room with the rear seat folded down and still ample space with it up.
My wife loves the Escape while I love the Maverick.
Iā€™ve had three different trim levels of the Maverick since January. My wife has had her Escape since Feb 5, 22.

southallc

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a hybrid Mav Lariat lux and the wife has a 22 Escape SEL PHEV. They do have a lot in common. I'm a big fan of the hybrid drivetrain, which is why we got these vehicles. I'll assume you're familiar with the Maverick.
As someone else mentioned, the ride in the Escape is a bit softer. I think the seats in the Escape are more comfortable, and they are perforated to allow some breathability, unlike the Mav. The Escape gets better gas milage because it isn't shaped like a truck, and the PHEV makes a big difference for city driving. I imagine the difference in efficiency is smaller between the Mav and standard hybrid Escape.
I like the simple buttons and knobs for most of the cabin controls in both the Mav and Escape and the layouts are similar. We avoided stepping up to the platinum trim on the Escape because it moves some of that stuff to a big touch screen.
We recently took a long road trip in the Escape and it does great on the highway. Even after 10 hours in the car it still felt pretty good, which was pleasantly surprising.
I prefer the side mirrors in the Mav. The Escape mirrors come to a point and stick out an extra inch or so, which requires more attention pulling in/out of the garage.
Reading online reviews you'll get the impression that the Escape interior is of low quality. The only places I noticed this is the inserts in the front console and the cargo area. The cargo area has a carpeted board covering the spare tire that leaves gaps on both sides near the lift gate and it seems some space is wasted as the spare tire underneath is surrounded by a foam insert that looks oversized. Other than these admittedly minor nit-picks I think the interior is pretty nice and quite comfortable.
Good luck!
Sponsored