Hybrid engine rpm?

bilyjck

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Leaf SL plus 2020, Hybrid XLT
Anyone hook up a tachometer to check engine rpm? Curious as to revs at 65 mph?
Sponsored

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

The gas engine mostly turns a generator and an electric motor is what is moving the truck so the rpm of the gas engine is not really linked to the speed of the truck.

Some times the gas engine is at 0 rpm and your still driving using electric only.

Last edited:

raymaines

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alto Blue Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The eCVT means the RPM could be just about anything depending on the road you're on and the load you're carrying.

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone hook up a tachometer to check engine rpm? Curious as to revs at 65 mph?
Mine was at 2050 rpm @65 today. 1950 rpm @ 60 and at 70.

Sponsored

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I used to think eCVT would mean rpm would be all over the place but that’s just not true in reality — engine rpm is very linear with pedal input.

@Rivers90 the gas engine IS mosty moving the truck directly through the ring gear of the planetary gearset, and is actually less often generating electricity to send power more or less directly to the traction motor. The amount and conditions where it does the latter is not clear.

MostlySafeBear

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Eventually) a Ford Truck
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Where and how did you do that?
  • Torque (I can't speak to iOS, but it is on Android, in free and paid versions).
  • Android Auto.
  • A cheap bluetooth OBD2 dongle.

Sponsored

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The gas engine mostly turns a generator and an electric motor is what is moving the truck so the rpm of the gas engine is not really linked to the speed of the truck.
I really don't think that's true at all. Pretty sure the gas engine accounts for 140 or so of the truck's 190hp. It's doing most of the work at speed.

Edit to add: and I'm talking about doing work directly driving the wheels, not just acting as a generator. The electric motor/battery just aren't big and powerful enough for that

Last edited:

FriscoTXJoe

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I really don't think that's true at all. Pretty sure the gas engine accounts for 140 or so of the truck's 190hp. It's doing most of the work at speed.
I am NOT an engineer at all but that makes sense. Thus why when power is needed the ICE engages. Also why MPG is worse on the highway than in city driving as the ICE is running more often, right?

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I am NOT an engineer at all but that makes sense. Thus why when power is needed the ICE engages. Also why MPG is worse on the highway than in city driving as the ICE is running more often, right?
I guess. I'm almost certain the post I quoted is just wrong. The ICE does a lot of the work directly driving the wheels. It doesn't act exclusively or even primarily as a generator only. The electric motor and battery just aren't big and powerful enough to handle moving the the truck by themselves except at low speed acceleration and cruising at relatively lower speeds

clavicus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes AND it's not just that the ICE is running more, but the car is smashing into more air particles per second and dealing with the increasing force of air resistance as you get to higher and higher speeds.
Sponsored