Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Update on this thread:

The positive harness cable termination that hybrid owners have had fail is almost certainly the one on the right in this picture (partially obscured by the black plastic cover), not the one on the left (front) that has been shown here and on other threads as the culprit. The failing termination is much harder to access, with little clearance or extra cable.

Ford Maverick Hybrid cable clamp. IMG_20220809_102154_208

The cable termination referred to subsequent is unlikely to be the one causing no power issues with the hybrids, and the clamp of little use.

Having read the posts regarding the failed positive battery cable termination causing issues I wanted to have a plan b before going on a several day trip with my hybrid. Should any of us need to be thinking along these lines at this point, no.

What should be happening at this point is Ford having determined possibly affected VIN's, reached out to those that fall withing this group, and offered a temporary "fix" until the cables become available and installation scheduled. What may happen is the company waits out the warranty period just repairing the ones that crop up, but I hope this isn't the direction they go. Anyhow...

I made a simple clamp for the affected cable termination from a readily available item, to provide me some peace of mind when away from home (and ward off evil spirits). 3/8 Loomex connectors from Home Depot, cable clamping portion cut off, one side drilled out to provide clearance for screw threads, screws filed down a little. This may provide enough clamping force on the termination to keep it going in the event of a failure, even installed over the insulation. (Covered the stud and exposed termination with electrical tape to prevent accidental grounding, going to leave it on. Of course you SHOULD remove the battery positive clamp first.) Clamp JUST tucks in.

Keeping a jump box in the truck as well, but would rather have a somewhat stable cable as well, since if the termination is bad it's going to do funky things with the electronics and could drop out the necessary relays completely while driving. Sounds like some folks have already experienced this.

If anyone has a tidier idea I would like to have something better, please weigh in.

Ford Maverick Hybrid cable clamp. IMG_20220628_095437831
Ford Maverick Hybrid cable clamp. IMG_20220628_104928686
Ford Maverick Hybrid cable clamp. IMG_20220628_102719335_HDR

Ford Maverick Hybrid cable clamp. IMG_20220628_101124158_HDR
Sponsored

Last edited:

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick Hybrid cable clamp. 1656430942638

OP
OP
skinnyboy

skinnyboy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thought about a cable clamp, but since they are designed to deform steel cables the dealer might deny a warranty claim if the termination was damaged. Perhaps I'm too nervous on the issue, but have had Ford deny a warranty claim many years ago.

Cheers.

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Thought about a cable clamp, but since they are designed to deform steel cables the dealer might deny a warranty claim if the termination was damaged. Perhaps I'm too nervous on the issue, but have had Ford deny a warranty claim many years ago.

Cheers.
Interesting point!

Better than waiting for a tow, maybe.

Sponsored

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Having read the posts regarding the failed positive battery cable termination causing issues I wanted to have a plan b before going on a several day trip with my hybrid. Should any of us need to be thinking along these lines at this point, no.

What should be happening at this point is Ford having determined possibly affected VIN's, reached out to those that fall withing this group, and offered a temporary "fix" until the cables become available and installation scheduled. What may happen is the company waits out the warranty period just repairing the ones that crop up, but I hope this isn't the direction they go. Anyhow...

I made a simple clamp for the affected cable termination from a readily available item, to provide me some peace of mind when away from home (and ward off evil spirits). 3/8 Loomex connectors from Home Depot, cable clamping portion cut off, one side drilled out to provide clearance for screw threads, screws filed down a little. This may provide enough clamping force on the termination to keep it going in the event of a failure, even installed over the insulation. (Covered the stud and exposed termination with electrical tape to prevent accidental grounding, going to leave it on. Of course you SHOULD remove the battery positive clamp first.) Clamp JUST tucks in.

Keeping a jump box in the truck as well, but would rather have a somewhat stable cable as well, since if the termination is bad it's going to do funky things with the electronics and could drop out the necessary relays completely while driving. Sounds like some folks have already experienced this.

If anyone has a tidier idea I would like to have something better, please weigh in.

IMG_20220628_095437831.jpg
IMG_20220628_104928686.jpg
IMG_20220628_102719335_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220628_101124158_HDR.jpg
Ok, my chime = did someone show a picture of the cable and did it not have multiple "termination" points and was it ever stated which or all the points were or were not affected?

ITSATRUCK

First Name
TIM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MAVERICK
The good news is this will probably be an issue with hybrid Mavericks out of warranty. I know what to look for and can use a clamp at that time.

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OP
OP
skinnyboy

skinnyboy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius V
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ok, my chime = did someone show a picture of the cable and did it not have multiple "termination" points and was it ever stated which or all the points were or were not affected?
IIRC the parts diagram that was posted in one of the other threads did show other termination points. Haven't read about any of the other points being problematic 🤞.
Hopefully soldered by a different machine or different tool on the machine.

Cheers.

TheGriffin1313

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mav, 05 M3, 07GSXR
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
🤞

Sponsored

Error

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid XLT Lux 360 Roof
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I bought a few clamps of different size and shape. Since they are small i just keep them in the vehicle..

i'm not clamping them now as it might crack the cold solder they did.. and precipitate the failure.

i will use the clamp only if that happen.

Because the harness end (at the joint) is kinda flat i intend to use a flat clamp to to avoid deforming the joint..

Ford Maverick Hybrid cable clamp. 40481CF5-E392-49EA-8430-78FF929754EC
Ford Maverick Hybrid cable clamp. 2714015B-2EEB-42C3-8F0C-566C1C6A0779

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I bought a few clamps of different size and shape. Since they are small i just keep them in the vehicle..

i'm not clamping them now as it might crack the cold solder they did.. and precipitate the failure.

i will use the clamp only if that happen.

Because the harness end (at the joint) is kinda flat i intend to use a flat clamp to to avoid deforming the joint..

40481CF5-E392-49EA-8430-78FF929754EC.jpeg
2714015B-2EEB-42C3-8F0C-566C1C6A0779.jpeg
Where did you get those? Looks like a better idea than my rope / cable ubolt.

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm at 4200 miles in my Hybrid and hadn't experienced any of these symptoms.
Until I just went out and moved the connection a little too see if it was tight and everything seemed good.
I got a notice from the Ford pass app a few minutes later "Remote features have been disabled to preserve battery." Refreshed the app, then it gave me the Deep Sleep message.
I just put the same clamp on that @skinnyboy posted, and so far everything is normal again.
Showing 14.3 volts on the Torque app with OBD2 Bluetooth adapter.

There has to be a recall soon to fix this issue!

Last edited:

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Honestly, if you're spending all of this money to buy clamps and stuff in anticipation of doing some hackjob emergency repair just get a cable terminal crimper and actually replace the end. Then it's never an issue in the first place.

Chris_G

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-6 Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Honestly, if you're spending all of this money to buy clamps and stuff in anticipation of doing some hackjob emergency repair just get a cable terminal crimper and actually replace the end. Then it's never an issue in the first place.
Good idea! Is that wire aluminum or copper?

Crimping a copper lug on aluminum wire probably isn't a good idea.
Sponsored