HP and LB-FT Graphs - 1.5L vs 2.0L

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
For those curious the difference between the 1.5L and 2.0 I made a graph of both the Crank HP and LBFT as well as the WHEEL HP and LBFT for both also including the old Ford Ranger 4.0
Ford Maverick HP and LB-FT Graphs - 1.5L vs 2.0L 400B8582-88AF-481F-B40E-F35516333BAC

Ford Maverick HP and LB-FT Graphs - 1.5L vs 2.0L 85A18451-86B9-44D7-AB00-3192E304D3F0
Sponsored

OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Reactions: Doc

Dan_E26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Focus, 2018 Sonata SEL
The 2.0 EB makes more torque at 1,000 RPM than my 2.0 Duratec makes at roughly 4.5K. Modern engine technology is truly insane.

I was originally thinking I'd be perfectly satisfied in the 1.5, but I might stretch my budget a bit for that 2.0.......

Sponsored

Tennessee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
FirstOnRaceDay, could you give us more information about the wheel horsepower and torque? Is it calculated based on going flat out in regular drive, for example?

OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FirstOnRaceDay, could you give us more information about the wheel horsepower and torque? Is it calculated based on going flat out in regular drive, for example?
yes. Wheel torque uses the transmission and differential ratios. So at X speed you have UPTO Y lbft or HP.

and yes that is assuming Flat out, redline shifting.
The main reason why I use that is because of new EVs are 1 speed. So it’s hard to tell the difference

Tennessee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
yes. Wheel torque uses the transmission and differential ratios. So at X speed you have UPTO Y lbft or HP.

and yes that is assuming Flat out, redline shifting.
The main reason why I use that is because of new EVs are 1 speed. So it’s hard to tell the difference
Cool beans. The second graph does a fantastic job showing the impact of gear ratios on torque. It is an education, many thanks.

OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool beans. The second graph does a fantastic job showing the impact of gear ratios on torque. It is an education, many thanks.
absolutely. You can have a low Torque car as long as you have the proper close gearing. Your good to go! And the Ford 8 speed definitely has close gears 1-4 for fun in town driving (and good mpg) after that it’s nice tall gears for highway. (1750 rpm at 70mph in 8th btw)

Tennessee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
absolutely. You can have a low Torque car as long as you have the proper close gearing. Your good to go! And the Ford 8 speed definitely has close gears 1-4 for fun in town driving (and good mpg) after that it’s nice tall gears for highway. (1750 rpm at 70mph in 8th btw)
Indeed. My old Suzuki sidekick has a really anemic engine that tops out at 96 horsepower factory, but it has a 5.125 rear end!

Sponsored
OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Indeed. My old Suzuki sidekick has a really anemic engine that tops out at 96 horsepower factory, but it has a 5.125 rear end!
Nice! Bronco Sport has 3.81. So that really helps.

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
Awesome graphs dude, many thanks!
Does anyone have experience with both? Some butt dyno stories? Is the difference felt more at passing?

I find the 1.5 to feel constantly torquey even if you're not flying up to 100, it gives a feeling of constant 'pull'

Coming from a faster rental I found at Green lights it would just mash my head against the seat everytime I pressed the gas, annoying for city driving, really turned me off from the 'fast car' idea
Sponsored