Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wow. Did anyone catch the instrument cluster in Sam's video was either a pre-production vehicle or not in a Maverick?
Ford promo photo of one of the preproduction test articles I think. It looks like there's a camera tripod visible in the HVAC knob reflections so probably not a render.

Ford Maverick Total HP and Torque? 1694959776948
Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford promo photo of one of the preproduction test articles I think. It looks like there's a camera tripod visible in the HVAC knob reflections so probably not a render.

1694959776948.png
At least some of the press fleet trucks had the kW not % power meter. Whether or not any production units had it would require more digging.

Ford Maverick Total HP and Torque? 1694960729639

https://www.motor1.com/photo/5875849/2022-ford-maverick-interior/

The 12.3" full digital cluster on Escape Hybrid meters power in kW as well. For 2020, it gave you a digital readout of the engine and electric kW, now it's just an analogy style gauge.

Ford Maverick Total HP and Torque? 1694960945778

https://www.autotrader.ca/editorial/20200925/2020-ford-escape-hybrid-review-and-video/

So did the mid cluster, which is the Maverick Lariat cluster.

Ford Maverick Total HP and Torque? 1694960794654

https://www.iaai.com/VehicleDetail/37223056~US

realshelby

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT 500, 1965 Mustang GT,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not a hybrid guy here, but could be in the future if my vehicle usage changes.

My biggest worry with the hybrid and discussions around HP / torque would be the transmission's ability to handle it. Historically CVTs are efficient but not robust ☹.

So even if I found out my vehicle produces more power than its rated for, I'd likely not try to exploit it. As a whole its engineered for economy and you're likely to get the best longevity treating it that way.

This is also akin to the ecoboost. The 4cyl is pushing hard to make the HP it does, hence the turbo. Impressive, but by that very nature I wont push it the same way I did my old V6 which makes that power likely under tolerances. I'll enjoy having it when needed, bit otherwise baby it and reap the econo benefits.
Yes, CVT transmissions have a bad reputation for failure and quirks. Deserved in my opinion. But you are thinking about those that had a chain or belt running across pulleys/sheaves that could vary their diameter to adjust engine rpm. That is the point of failure in a CVT.

The Maverick Hybrid is an eCVT. It has NO belts or chains to transfer the load through variable pulleys. Instead it uses planetary gear sets and input from the electric motors to vary rpm. So there really is NO comparison between these two completely different transmissions.

Then there is the internet lore of a turbo engine is under too much stress to last. First it is not always under full load. Second is the most important part...and that is these Ford Ecoboost engines have been designed from the ground up to be run under boost. Just like these 2000 lbs ft of torque diesel engines that run over a million miles, the engine block is designed to be much stiffer. Bearings are bigger/wider, cranks are higher quality steel and designed to flex less so they don't develop fatigue. Connecting rods are forged steel and heavier. Pistons are higher grade aluminum and thicker on top. Cylinder heads are designed for the load too. All components are. So while a naturally aspirated engine might seem to be under less stress, in fact many engines like that have much weaker engine blocks and rotating components. To the point they may not match the life of a modern purpose built turbocharged engine.

Jman79

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Vue, Honda Odessey, Ford Maverick 🤞MY24
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yes, CVT transmissions have a bad reputation for failure and quirks. Deserved in my opinion. But you are thinking about those that had a chain or belt running across pulleys/sheaves that could vary their diameter to adjust engine rpm. That is the point of failure in a CVT.

The Maverick Hybrid is an eCVT. It has NO belts or chains to transfer the load through variable pulleys. Instead it uses planetary gear sets and input from the electric motors to vary rpm. So there really is NO comparison between these two completely different transmissions.

Then there is the internet lore of a turbo engine is under too much stress to last. First it is not always under full load. Second is the most important part...and that is these Ford Ecoboost engines have been designed from the ground up to be run under boost. Just like these 2000 lbs ft of torque diesel engines that run over a million miles, the engine block is designed to be much stiffer. Bearings are bigger/wider, cranks are higher quality steel and designed to flex less so they don't develop fatigue. Connecting rods are forged steel and heavier. Pistons are higher grade aluminum and thicker on top. Cylinder heads are designed for the load too. All components are. So while a naturally aspirated engine might seem to be under less stress, in fact many engines like that have much weaker engine blocks and rotating components. To the point they may not match the life of a modern purpose built turbocharged engine.
Thanks, informative well written. Reinforcement that the platform doesn't have any weird weaknesses.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
At least some of the press fleet trucks had the kW not % power meter. Whether or not any production units had it would require more digging.

1694960729639.png

https://www.motor1.com/photo/5875849/2022-ford-maverick-interior/
Yes, that's the same Ford stock photo GPSMan was referencing in Shay's video. I wouldn't even be surprised if it was literally the launch announcement Hybrid article that journalists got to look at (but not drive) as that also had the kW dashboard and presumably all were built Jan-Feb 2021. Like not having a battery level meter I think they made the change to make the Hybrid more 'normal/palatable' as a standard (hah) drivetrain option; something a person can just drive and not have to worry about unusual units (from an auto perspective) like kW.

Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, that's the same Ford stock photo GPSMan was referencing in Shay's video. I wouldn't even be surprised if it was literally the launch announcement Hybrid article that journalists got to look at (but not drive) as that also had the kW dashboard and presumably all were built Jan-Feb 2021. Like not having a battery level meter I think they made the change to make the Hybrid more 'normal/palatable' as a standard (hah) drivetrain option; something a person can just drive and not have to worry about unusual units (from an auto perspective) like kW.
They did change the 12.3" digital cluster to a % gauge vs. kW for 2023 Escape... Also swapped the power meter and speedometer from right to left/vice versa.

Ford Maverick Total HP and Torque? 1694967216662

https://fordauthority.com/2023/07/2023-ford-escape-hybrid-drive-modes-reviewed/

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If you can toggle °C and °F, miles and kilometers, you should be able to toggle this too.
Sponsored