Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

We live on the 3rd tallest(from the seafloor) mountain in the world, Maui. Everything is a slope, including our driveway. Its very steep and has a turn in its steepest part. Yesterday we had a real serious storm go through, blowing down small buildings and taking out power and trees and causing rockslides. our place is a steep valley which helps us weather the heavy stuff, but the water is our enemy. It floods our valley floor with a river and also cuts away our driveway. Yesterday it filled our valley floor with probably close to 10 tons of gravel from our driveway and the road above. It carved some good 3 inch ruts(basically our nice top gravel layer) all over and then there is a 18" deep and 12' long rut in the steepest part of the turn and a couple other 10" rut/holes a foot or 3 long. I spent about 4 hours in the rain yesterday diverting water, and digging down the crown and filling the rut. Today I hauled 1400lbs of gravel in buckets up to the ruts. Now I am trying to get a f350 load down here to top it off. I would do loads myself but my comanche is waiting on a new cylinder head. It hauls 2200lb with ease.

So here is the vehicles that have traversed it so far. 1st in the worst of it a 2017 Grand Cherokee Laredo on stock standard Wrangler take off AT-ish low tread tires made it down dragging its self with gravity through the ruts. Then I tried our stock 93 Grand ZJ Laredo on 235/75r15 generic ATs. It dig right in fell in the rut and turned sideways, then I backed it up and took a line straight through the rut. It didnt like it but it went fine with lots of wheelspin dragging the pumpkin through the crown. Then I dug the crown down a bit and tried my 96 Bronco on 31 Ko2s. It dug in and kicked sideways but kept going with its front and rear trac-lock posis. Then we worked for a while digging it down and filling the rut with mush. It helped but mostly squished out. Then I did alot of tests in the ZJ taking the inside high line down and the outside high line up. That seems to be the best. Today the 2017 Laredo went up taking the high line but it only made it on the second attempt. Then I filled the ruts with the 1400 lbs of gravel and 140lbs of old cement bags busted up. Thats when I took this video. Of a 2001 Grand Cherokee with a 2" lift and 31x10r16 Falken wildpeak AT3s. He took the outside line with the rear slipping into the partially filled rut. But he kept on it and crab walked for a bit before he straightened it out.

What do you all think. About the Tremor handling this? I think it will especially when I switch to 245/70r17 Maxxis Bighorn MTs. But we will see what it does in time.
Sponsored

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What is your steepest degree of slope, and for how long?

If ground clearance is not an issue, traction would be your number one priority, along with gearing.

The best AWD system I've ever used, when ground clearance is NOT a factor, is the Acura designed SH-AWD. With proper tires, that system will practically climb an ice wall.

Still waiting on the snow & ice to test the Mav. Part of my gravel drive runs between 12-14 degrees for a few hundred feet.

OP
OP
Maverickman74

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

What is your steepest degree of slope, and for how long?

If ground clearance is not an issue, traction would be your number one priority, along with gearing.

The best AWD system I've ever used, when ground clearance is NOT a factor, is the Acura designed SH-AWD. With proper tires, that system will practically climb an ice wall.

Still waiting on the snow & ice to test the Mav. Part of my gravel drive runs between 12-14 degrees for a few hundred feet.
I would say our steepest bit is around 30 degrees maybe a bit more or less. It starts a 10 degrees or so and when the turn starts it ramps up to 30 plus in about 30ft. after that it straightens out and levels out over the next 50 -60 ft. Hard to say really. Before the rain/river rutted it out it the Bronco with rear LSD was the only one that could do it in 2wd aside from a CJ7 i used to drive. My comanche will do it in 2wd but only if Jeremy Clarkson is driving it like a rental and the driveway suffers.

• Haha
Reactions: Dad

dalola

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sunsetridgecabinhockinghills.com
Vehicle(s)
F150
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Again, if ground clearance is not an issue, the Mav would probably handle it with proper tires. If it's wet, might be a struggle. Assuming you don't have snow/ice to contend with in HI. That's the big challenge in the cold weather states, with steep hills.

Given the weight transfer on a 30 degree incline, the RR locker becomes a big deal.

OP
OP
Maverickman74

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Again, if ground clearance is not an issue, the Mav would probably handle it with proper tires. If it's wet, might be a struggle. Assuming you don't have snow/ice to contend with in HI. That's the big challenge in the cold weather states, with steep hills.

Given the weight transfer on a 30 degree incline, the RR locker becomes a big deal.
Yep when its on the steep the front is barely doing anything and alot of weight is getting put on the rear. Thats why the Bronco works well in 2wd, being a rear heavy suv, and having the limited slip diff. To be fair I have had mid 2000s subarus down here and they do fine(when the hill is in better shape). no 2wd car has ever made it though. Ground clearance does come into play alot with the crown in the ruts but our solid axle vehicles usually knock that down decent enough. The real thing I wonder how the Tremor will do when and if it ruts out like that again is will it figure out the traction. The Bronco Sport Badlands seems to do really well and is often seen cruising along with 2 wheels in the air.

Sponsored

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I used to live in Makawao and hit a lot of off road places (to surf) in Maui and unfortunately Tremor wouldn't be my choice due to ground clearance. Even with a 2" lift it wouldn't make it a lot of places. Clearance is needed to get to so many spots.

Rivers90

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Tremor, Xterra, Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

As long as you don't high center you should be fine.

OP
OP
Maverickman74

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I used to live in Makawao and hit a lot of off road places (to surf) in Maui and unfortunately Tremor wouldn't be my choice due to ground clearance. Even with a 2" lift it wouldn't make it a lot of places. Clearance is needed to get to so many spots.
I have my Comanche for any real hardcore offroading, its my work truck at Twin Falls. Solid axles, lsd, 3" lift and 31 or 32" mudders, and a winch. It goes all places everywhere. I think 90% of Jaws will be totally fine, the lighthouse(trail across from haiku school), Honomanu Bay, and Poli Poli will be fine. Everything else on this side is pretty much closed off now, unless you know the land owners. The Tremor is our town car, but it has to be decent just to leave home. I wasnt even gonna take the FX4 we originally ordered down our hill until I switched tires or lifted it. After I see what it does and doesnt do, my plan for the Tremor is 2" lift, air bags in the rear(to reduce off camber squat), 245/70 and maybe 255/70 MTs. I also plan on eventually replacing underbody felt with aluminum or steel.
Thats over 3" additional ground clearance over the Tremor spec.

As long as you don't high center you should be fine.
When its bad our driveway crowns and you drag side to side. But the front to rear is totally fine.

Here is it with my ZJ after about 1400lbs of reclaimed gravel and 150 of wet concrete bags.

I took another video of the 2017 GC coming down today. This is after another 880lbs of fresh gravel.

Joe Kelly

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Triumph TR-6, 2009 Accord, 2017 Pacifica
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
We live on the 3rd tallest(from the seafloor) mountain in the world, Maui. Everything is a slope, including our driveway. Its very steep and has a turn in its steepest part. Yesterday we had a real serious storm go through, blowing down small buildings and taking out power and trees and causing rockslides. our place is a steep valley which helps us weather the heavy stuff, but the water is our enemy. It floods our valley floor with a river and also cuts away our driveway. Yesterday it filled our valley floor with probably close to 10 tons of gravel from our driveway and the road above. It carved some good 3 inch ruts(basically our nice top gravel layer) all over and then there is a 18" deep and 12' long rut in the steepest part of the turn and a couple other 10" rut/holes a foot or 3 long. I spent about 4 hours in the rain yesterday diverting water, and digging down the crown and filling the rut. Today I hauled 1400lbs of gravel in buckets up to the ruts. Now I am trying to get a f350 load down here to top it off. I would do loads myself but my comanche is waiting on a new cylinder head. It hauls 2200lb with ease.

So here is the vehicles that have traversed it so far. 1st in the worst of it a 2017 Grand Cherokee Laredo on stock standard Wrangler take off AT-ish low tread tires made it down dragging its self with gravity through the ruts. Then I tried our stock 93 Grand ZJ Laredo on 235/75r15 generic ATs. It dig right in fell in the rut and turned sideways, then I backed it up and took a line straight through the rut. It didnt like it but it went fine with lots of wheelspin dragging the pumpkin through the crown. Then I dug the crown down a bit and tried my 96 Bronco on 31 Ko2s. It dug in and kicked sideways but kept going with its front and rear trac-lock posis. Then we worked for a while digging it down and filling the rut with mush. It helped but mostly squished out. Then I did alot of tests in the ZJ taking the inside high line down and the outside high line up. That seems to be the best. Today the 2017 Laredo went up taking the high line but it only made it on the second attempt. Then I filled the ruts with the 1400 lbs of gravel and 140lbs of old cement bags busted up. Thats when I took this video. Of a 2001 Grand Cherokee with a 2" lift and 31x10r16 Falken wildpeak AT3s. He took the outside line with the rear slipping into the partially filled rut. But he kept on it and crab walked for a bit before he straightened it out.

What do you all think. About the Tremor handling this? I think it will especially when I switch to 245/70r17 Maxxis Bighorn MTs. But we will see what it does in time.
i would get a truck with tracks. another option is a heavy duty winch

OP
OP
Maverickman74

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

i would get a truck with tracks. another option is a heavy duty winch
My Comanche has a 12,000 winch I use a fair bit for work and such. Its down with shortblock swap and waiting on a new cylinder head. But its my when shit gets real recovery truck. Goes anywhere, pulls anything.

Sponsored

Big Kahuna

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have my Comanche for any real hardcore offroading, its my work truck at Twin Falls. Solid axles, lsd, 3" lift and 31 or 32" mudders, and a winch. It goes all places everywhere. I think 90% of Jaws will be totally fine, the lighthouse(trail across from haiku school), Honomanu Bay, and Poli Poli will be fine. Everything else on this side is pretty much closed off now, unless you know the land owners. The Tremor is our town car, but it has to be decent just to leave home. I wasnt even gonna take the FX4 we originally ordered down our hill until I switched tires or lifted it. After I see what it does and doesnt do, my plan for the Tremor is 2" lift, air bags in the rear(to reduce off camber squat), 245/70 and maybe 255/70 MTs. I also plan on eventually replacing underbody felt with aluminum or steel.

When its bad our driveway crowns and you drag side to side. But the front to rear is totally fine.

Here is it with my ZJ after about 1400lbs of reclaimed gravel and 150 of wet concrete bags.

I took another video of the 2017 GC coming down today. This is after another 880lbs of fresh gravel.

I wish I would have had my Maverick in Maui as it’s an awesome rig for around town and I got elevate racks for my boards. My frontier was good there but my buddys rig was always my ride to get down to those off road spots. Maui has changed so much in last 20 years though, very different last time I visited. Nice to hear poli poli, such a cool spot, most people don’t know there are a ton of evergreen trees on Maui :)

OP
OP
Maverickman74

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I wish I would have had my Maverick in Maui as it’s an awesome rig for around town and I got elevate racks for my boards. My frontier was good there but my buddys rig was always my ride to get down to those off road spots. Maui has changed so much in last 20 years though, very different last time I visited. Nice to hear poli poli, such a cool spot, most people don’t know there are a ton of evergreen trees on Maui :)
Yeah Poli Poli is one of my favorites. Its currently long term closed, for road repair. We will be lucky if it opens back up at all. I look forward to having the Tremor as fairly capable vehicle that makes it cheap to zip over to Kaupo side or on some of the lil trails on the north west side. Mostly we will use it for town, but getting good mileage and being alot more comfy than our old beaters will hopefully get us out exploring again more.

AUDIOZONE

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger, ranger, mustang, maverick on order
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm sure it's a bunch of work you didn't need or want. But it looks like adventure in paradise. I'm sure it's not all fun, but it looks like it.

Even funnier to me is that you look almost like a coworker of mine with a construction business on the side. I can just imagine him with his skid loader fixing that drive.

OP
OP
Maverickman74

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I'm sure it's a bunch of work you didn't need or want. But it looks like adventure in paradise. I'm sure it's not all fun, but it looks like it.

Even funnier to me is that you look almost like a coworker of mine with a construction business on the side. I can just imagine him with his skid loader fixing that drive.
Yeah my boss has a excavator but it doesnt fit on his trailer, so that one is out. Thats what we used to cut the driveway, and we have rented a skid steer a few times to improve it over the years. Really it wasnt too horrible that I wouldnt just load up my comanche 2 or 3 times at work. Its rated for 2200lb but I usually haul a lil more since its a short trip. But its cylinder heard just got delivered to a amazon carrier facility in Chino, Ca. Bad storm when I dont have my truck=crimes against humanity lol. I also have 63 ford 4000 loader but its still getting its motor rebuilt at the diesel shop. That would have been handy too.

Life is fun here, always an adventure. I sure wouldnt want to be paying rent on a dumb townhouse in Fairborn Ohio.
Sponsored

Last edited: