Hot Climate: BAK Industries tri fold vs rollup

Mike_FL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.0 XLT on order
I wanted to share my past experiences with this company.

I see a lot of people on here ordering the roll up type cover with the aluminum slats. I live in FL which means hot/humid climate. I loved the convenience of the roll up cover. It's easier to roll up with one hand vs the tri fold. For me it offered just as much protection. Had a thief in a hotel parking lot trying to get into it and could only pull out some of the rubber weather stripping.

The issue: the felt material that rolls up with the aluminum slats on the underside is held on with adhesive. This melts fairly quickly in hot humid climates and the stuff is left dangling in the truck.

BAK Industries promptly replaced the whole cover for me 2x and had amazing customer service and fast shipping. However, after two covers I asked them to just send me the tri fold type (MX4) that I have also used in the past. Little more bulky, but no issues with the heat and adhesive materials.

I have high praise for the company as a repeat customer and their great customer service. I would just caution against the roll up style if you live in a hot climate.
Sponsored

Dechion

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Forte
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wanted to share my past experiences with this company.

I see a lot of people on here ordering the roll up type cover with the aluminum slats. I live in FL which means hot/humid climate. I loved the convenience of the roll up cover. It's easier to roll up with one hand vs the tri fold. For me it offered just as much protection. Had a thief in a hotel parking lot trying to get into it and could only pull out some of the rubber weather stripping.

The issue: the felt material that rolls up with the aluminum slats on the underside is held on with adhesive. This melts fairly quickly in hot humid climates and the stuff is left dangling in the truck.

BAK Industries promptly replaced the whole cover for me 2x and had amazing customer service and fast shipping. However, after two covers I asked them to just send me the tri fold type (MX4) that I have also used in the past. Little more bulky, but no issues with the heat and adhesive materials.

I have high praise for the company as a repeat customer and their great customer service. I would just caution against the roll up style if you live in a hot climate.
I have been looking into this as well, since I also live in Florida. Apparently the newer model X4S no longer has the felt, but instead has a series of rubber pieces that interlock into the slats.

I'm planning on ordering one, but likely waiting for black friday sales, since I'm not scheduled for delivery till October anyhow.

OP
OP

Mike_FL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.0 XLT on order
I'll have to contact them when my truck is here. If it's true that there is no more.felt and heat resistance, I much prefer the rollup cover over the tri fold.

kmish203

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'll have to contact them when my truck is here. If it's true that there is no more.felt and heat resistance, I much prefer the rollup cover over the tri fold.
It is true. X4S no longer has felt stuck with adhesive that will melt in high temps.

Dechion

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Forte
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here is a link to one of the video reviews that directly compares the older X4 to the newer X4S.

Dechion

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Kia Forte
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It is true. X4S no longer has felt stuck with adhesive that will melt in high temps.
Thats what I get for not refreshing the page before posting, lol. Same video and all. 🤣
Sponsored