Sponsored

Tonneau Cover - Hard Tri-fold or Hard Rollup?

Springboks

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Deon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
OK, as you can see, as a soon to be first truck owner, I am asking a lot of newbe questions today, so appreciate the patience.

Which cover is better and what are the pros/cons to either?
Sponsored

giddyup

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

A_Turkey_Sammich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Engine
Undecided
It’s largely aesthetic so whatever suits you. I’ve had trucks all my life, and bed covers ever since living where it snows, and beyond after leaving the north again. They don’t have any real affect on MPG. Great for snow as you just push it off like the rest of the vehicle vs having a bed full blowing out…hard preferable there to better handle the weight vs soft roll up. Since tailgates have locked for many years, cover also allows for keeping some stuff back there more unwatched then you normally would. Like with most other things, if someone wants in they are going to get in, but with a hard cover it will take a little more work than simply a quick stab of a knife or something.

Personally, for the last 15-20yrs I’ve stayed pretty consistently with hard vinyl covered trifolds…the ones that look like a soft roll up but have frame/panels underneath. They’ve been the best mix to me between security, operation, and weather tightness. I’ve had a couple solid trifolds without the vinyl layer and they leak too much for my taste. My current F150 I got used and had a roll-n-lock on it when I bought it, which is a pricey one, but that thing leaked like a sieve so after trying to readjust/mitigate that some, I removed it and put the trusty ole trifold on.

OP
OP
Springboks

Springboks

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Deon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think I probably need to add some context here.

About the only thing that will be going in the bed constantly are my golf clubs, golf shoes, and other golf accessories. So I need them to be safe... and more importantly... DRY! I live in Florida BTW, so rain is guaranteed every day in summer, and my truck will be parked outside.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Super excited, my truxedo sentry ct just shipped through real truck and will be here Friday!

Sponsored

FriarPop

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

jcsan18

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Ford Maverick Tonneau Cover - Hard Tri-fold or Hard Rollup? 22A6BFB4-2A68-4D9A-B738-A4F92CA86A39
Ford Maverick Tonneau Cover - Hard Tri-fold or Hard Rollup? B2FCC98F-2D67-494D-8E55-905128CDF1E8

Extang Solidfold 2.0. I actually like the fact that it’s not completely flush. I can see how thick it is and it feels incredibly sturdy. I’m very happy with it. It was $900, I believe, and while it is not waterproof, it will minimize water in the bed. Great product. Highly recommend.

Mickycrane

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

TC in MN

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mav XLT, CG, 2.0, AWD, Lux, tow, 360
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like the Access original roll -up…easy to use and keeps rain out

MarcoG

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C-Max Energi PHEV, Maverick Lariat Hybrid DEC2023
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think I probably need to add some context here.

About the only thing that will be going in the bed constantly are my golf clubs, golf shoes, and other golf accessories. So I need them to be safe... and more importantly... DRY! I live in Florida BTW, so rain is guaranteed every day in summer, and my truck will be parked outside.
I can tell you that I have the Hard tri-fold from Ford and they are not waterproof, just water resist. Some rain will get in at the leading edge near the cab and the two corners of the tailgate. it is minimal, but I get car washes and in the rain I get some there. Very minimal but some. I lived in Fla 7 years (and even just bought my Mav in Del Rey to avoid the 10K over in L.A. and given the constant rain there, the only 100 percent is the hard cover that goes over the bed up/down as it overlaps all the corners. Ugly as hell, but the only water-PROOF one. Tri-fold looks the best, but as said, water resist. I am now checking with installers to see if there is a way to beef up the corner seals to make it a really small drop to none. Will report back. Ford just gave me the "we'll look at it to see if the seals are in the right place, but this is meant to be resist, not proof".

Sponsored

FischAutoTechGarten

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Green Valley Arizona USA, Alamos Sonora MEX
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mav Lariat EB AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

How does something hard, just roll up?

Anyway....$130usd soft tri-fold for me... It's an out of sight out of mind to defeat the theif that is merely an opportunist... I don't think that I can do better than that... Somebody wants to get what's in the bed despite your preparations.. .they're gonna succeed.

kingking610

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How does something hard, just roll up?

Anyway....$130usd soft tri-fold for me... It's an out of sight out of mind to defeat the theif that is merely an opportunist... I don't think that I can do better than that... Somebody wants to get what's in the bed despite your preparations.. .they're gonna succeed.

It's a soft vinyl cover but it has many aluminum "ribs". So the cover is soft but the aluminum ribs make it sturdy enough that you can place things on top of it.
Sponsored