Sponsored

Has anyone had luck with dealers changing out stock tires and giving partial credit?

Dave_in_PA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Now that I have a build date, I'm looking at changing tires. Although I ordered a hybrid, I will be taking my truck on job sites and need more aggressive tires. I'd like to see if it's possible for the dealer to change them out when it comes in and give me a partial credit for the stock tires, considering they will be brand new. Is this something dealers do or do I have to bite the bullet comma change the tires comma and sell the stocks myself?
Sponsored

RonFLA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

No chance. A dealer is like a large company with many small departments that generally don’t like to work together. You have New car sales, Used care sales, Service, Parts, Fleet, and Autobody/Paint.

Your asking if while you’re buying a new car, they can take it over to service and have a tech. spend unbilled-labor, time pulling off tires from wheels to then take over to the Parts department and have them try to put them in inventory, to possibly sell them to another customer as new, even though they have already been mounted before?

I hope you can see that this proposal is not only financially unattractive for a dealer but possibly a liability.

PS: Now, don’t get me wrong. They would be very happy to SELL you a new set of tires but no, they are likely not going to pay/discount you to do that.

Bry@n

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick XL, F150, Bronco
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

No chance of that happening. Wheels I have now are from a shop that the dealer brought the bronco to for a wheel/ tire swap. The customers pays for both sets and gets one. Always better to do on your own.

OP
OP

Dave_in_PA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No chance of that happening. Wheels I have now are from a shop that the dealer brought the bronco to for a wheel/ tire swap. The customers pays for both sets and gets one. Always better to do on your own.
Yup, that's what I figured.

Sponsored

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Only place that ever gave me credit for my old tires was Costco. But that was a warrantee swap and I had bought the tires from them. Most places (at least here) charge a disposal fee regardless of how new the tires are.

skadizzle

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat BAP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I have seen someone on here post that they had Discount Tire give them credit when they bought the new ones from them. That might worth a try.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I just talked to my local tire dealer. He'll give me $50 to $100 per tire. I'm gonna got that route. He's always been good to work with.
I guess that's the lesson here. Ask. Worst case is they say no and you are exactly where you were before you asked.

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Now that I have a build date, I'm looking at changing tires. Although I ordered a hybrid, I will be taking my truck on job sites and need more aggressive tires. I'd like to see if it's possible for the dealer to change them out when it comes in and give me a partial credit for the stock tires, considering they will be brand new. Is this something dealers do or do I have to bite the bullet comma change the tires comma and sell the stocks myself?
If I was planning on using my truck as a work truck with job site use I'd be getting a more aggressive truck, not just the tires. 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

hellokitty1984

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sell the tires to someone here that drives many miles per year.

OP
OP

Dave_in_PA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If I was planning on using my truck as a work truck with job site use I'd be getting a more aggressive truck, not just the tires. 🤷‍♂️
You're confusing driving on a jobsite (dirt, mud, rocks, etc) with using it as a work truck.

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sell the tires on craigslist. I have done that before. Won't get much but some money

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You're confusing driving on a jobsite (dirt, mud, rocks, etc) with using it as a work truck.
Still using it offroad regularly, right? Tires won't make as much difference as AWD and better suspension like FX-4 under same use cases.

OP
OP

Dave_in_PA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Still using it offroad regularly, right? Tires won't make as much difference as AWD and better suspension like FX-4 under same use cases.
I can only assume you've never been on a construction site as you keep confusing it with offroading.

In 25 years, I've never had my F-150 in 4-wheel drive nor have I ever needed better suspension.

What I have needed was more aggressive tires to avoid flats from the occasional construction debris on the ground and slipping on muddy accessways during rainy weather.
Sponsored