First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do you think it's possible something was missed that might have been caught with the $100 wiring harness?
It is possible. For the RCM module I'd need to go back onto motorcraftservice website, spend another ~$20 for 72 hour access to all the shop manuals so I can compare the wire harness pins on an FX4 build vs my XL and even an XLT. I just haven't gotten around to it since it hasn't been a high priority for me right now. All one needs when they buy the access is VINs for a specific build which can be had on any of these online car selling sites.
Sponsored

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here is where I am at on the sensors. Looks like HDC uses the same sensors as CC and those sensors should be in or attached to the RCM. The sensors are the lateral, longitudinal and vertical acceleration sensors, yaw and roll rate sensors. What I need to determine is if they are part part of the RCM unit or connected externally. Regardless of trim or package they all use the same RCM module that is mounted under the center console. There are also no forscan settings for these sensors in the module configuration as far as I've found.

If anyone can help I need the pin out diagram for connectors C310A and C310B.
Ford Maverick ForScan Hill Descent Control mod, wiring required merry-christmas-ya-filthy-animal-dora-silve

Attachments

OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks. Also confirms there is no special wire connections used for the sensors. I am back to either the center console switch not being wired up right when I last did it or the 4inch cluster uses the steering wheel button and has to be wired into the pin that way. When I get some time and motivation I'll dig into it again.

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Thanks. Also confirms there is no special wire connections used for the sensors. I am back to either the center console switch not being wired up right when I last did it or the 4inch cluster uses the steering wheel button and has to be wired into the pin that way. When I get some time and motivation I'll dig into it again.
I haven't messed with it but I do suspect it's compatible with the 4 inch screen since other models are able to get it working with the small screen. I do know that on the f150 all the wiring is already there and all that's required is making a change to the abs control module configuring with forscan

OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I haven't messed with it but I do suspect it's compatible with the 4 inch screen since other models are able to get it working with the small screen. I do know that on the f150 all the wiring is already there and all that's required is making a change to the abs control module configuring with forscan
The 4 inch cluster definitely is capable of working with HDC. It has the icons and even a seperate drive menu setting for it programmed in. What I can't figure out yet is if it is if the pin out is either different from a 6 inch cluster or the button(s) it requires to activate it. Pin 7 is dedicated to the HDC button and should be the same on a 4 inch cluster. Besides turning on HDC in the ABS module it should be a simple case of wiring either the center console switch or right steering wheel switch okay button to pin 7.

Sponsored

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The 4 inch cluster definitely is capable of working with HDC. It has the icons and even a seperate drive menu setting for it programmed in. What I can't figure out yet is if it is if the pin out is either different from a 6 inch cluster or the button(s) it requires to activate it. Pin 7 is dedicated to the HDC button and should be the same on a 4 inch cluster. Besides turning on HDC in the ABS module it should be a simple case of wiring either the center console switch or right steering wheel switch okay button to pin 7.
I've checked my VIN and a VIN for an FX4 and the pinout for the IPC is identical. So it sounds like you're enabling HDC in Forscan as well as setting the appropriate ABS module configurations? I wonder if this is more of a Forscan issue than a hardware/wiring issue. I don't have an HDC button nor the appropriate wiring to test anything unfortunately. I think this is kind of what should be able to be displayed for an off road screen on the 4" display:

Ford Maverick ForScan Hill Descent Control mod, wiring required 4 inch off road screen

OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've checked my VIN and a VIN for an FX4 and the pinout for the IPC is identical. So it sounds like you're enabling HDC in Forscan as well as setting the appropriate ABS module configurations? I wonder if this is more of a Forscan issue than a hardware/wiring issue. I don't have an HDC button nor the appropriate wiring to test anything unfortunately. I think this is kind of what should be able to be displayed for an off road screen on the 4" display:

4 inch off road screen.jpg
There is one other possibility and it is the ECU firmware itself. If that is the case I need to find out if forscan can access it and any settings or has the ability to flash the correct firmware for an FX4 package.

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There is one other possibility and it is the ECU firmware itself. If that is the case I need to find out if forscan can access it and any settings or has the ability to flash the correct firmware for an FX4 package.
Not necessarily related but not sure if this info has been posted on these forums in terms of module names, addresses and programmability

Attachments

OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not necessarily related but not sure if this info has been posted on these forums in terms of module names, addresses and programmability
The ECU (engine control unit) is most likely a part of the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) on Fords. I'll have to hunt it down but if anyone can post a screenshot of their PCM easy mode settings on an FX4 package it might help with tracking down what is either missing or needs to be turned on.

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The ECU (engine control unit) is most likely a part of the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) on Fords. I'll have to hunt it down but if anyone can post a screenshot of their PCM easy mode settings on an FX4 package it might help with tracking down what is either missing or needs to be turned on.
Found this regarding hill descent control. Not sure if you had to make any adjustment to the GWM module. Maybe HDC needs to be configured there so that it knows to look for the signal from the IPC and can relay the message to the ABS module? Since the IPC shows that HDC is present this could be the reason the system doesn't do anything more than show it being present in the IPC.

I just have a gut feeling that this is more a case of configuration rather than firmware. It seems like Ford is pretty keen on making a "one size fits all" approach and then using the beauty of a canbus system to suit each vehicle as it's produced but I'm not too familiar with this stuff to begin with so who knows.

Ford Maverick ForScan Hill Descent Control mod, wiring required HDC operation

Sponsored

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Found this regarding hill descent control. Not sure if you had to make any adjustment to the GWM module. Maybe HDC needs to be configured there so that it knows to look for the signal from the IPC and can relay the message to the ABS module? Since the IPC shows that HDC is present this could be the reason the system doesn't do anything more than show it being present in the IPC.

I just have a gut feeling that this is more a case of configuration rather than firmware. It seems like Ford is pretty keen on making a "one size fits all" approach and then using the beauty of a canbus system to suit each vehicle as it's produced but I'm not too familiar with this stuff to begin with so who knows.

HDC operation.jpg
I guess disregard, all of my GWM configurations are identical to those of an XLT FX4

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I did go into the PCM and tried turning on Terrain Mode Management and I got an error saying something to the effect of "Hill Descent Control not available". Interesting

OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I did go into the PCM and tried turning on Terrain Mode Management and I got an error saying something to the effect of "Hill Descent Control not available". Interesting
That is not what is needed for HDC. The ABS ECU strategy file firmware needs to be changed to the one used on FX4 packages. I've confirmed for sure they use a different ECU strategy. Unfortunately at this point forscan doesn't support firmware updates for any of the Maverick modules but it does have the functionality to do so. I plan to contact their help support and ask about it being added. If they can't it can still be done using Ford's FDRS software but that will cost a lot more to get it done.

OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I guess disregard, all of my GWM configurations are identical to those of an XLT FX4
GWM only works as a middleman sending signals from one module to another.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Interestingly the Hybrids have this "feature" automatically enabled. There is no button to turn it on or off.

Get on any slope greater than about 3 or 4% and take your foot off the go pedal. Green icon of truck on a downslope illuminates and your speed is held perfectly steady.

I've done it at 60 mph on a mountain interstate downgrade and at 15 mph on a residential downgrade.
Sponsored