First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This mod tenatively only applies to AWD models, all trims w/o FX4 package that also already have cruise control at a minmum installed.
This mod is currently untested pending wiring done to activate the feature.

Non FX4 models are missing the wire in the harnesses to activate HDC. Once wired it can be turned on with Forscan.
This mod assumes you replace the standard instrument control switch with the stock FX4 switch that has HDC installed. You should also be able to wire in your own toggle switch directly to the IPC cluster if you don't want to change the instrument control switch.

Stock instrument control switch
Part # NZ6Z11500CA
Cost ~$73

Ford Maverick ForScan Hill Descent Control mod, wiring required 437844
Sponsored

OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
To wire as if stock you need to wire from pin 2 bypass the center harness since it is easier to do and wire directly to pin 7 on the IPC cluster connector. You need to use 20 gauge wire for the connection.

Here are the instrument control switch and IPC cluster pins and wiring diagram.

Ford Maverick ForScan Hill Descent Control mod, wiring required HDC_button

Ford Maverick ForScan Hill Descent Control mod, wiring required ipc_a

Ford Maverick ForScan Hill Descent Control mod, wiring required ipc_b

Ford Maverick ForScan Hill Descent Control mod, wiring required wiring_diagram

Last edited:
OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Reserved for instructions.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Reserved for wiring instructions aka how to disassemble/assemble the center console and IPC cluster to run the wires.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Reserved for Forscan programming instructions.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
reserved for comments.

Reserved sections to be filled in once I have the wire in hand and mod done.

OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So far no dice. I had a temporary connection between the HDC button and cluster. It was powered but I don't know if the circuit was good or not. I'll test that tomorrow for any shorts and then go from there.

OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Update my temporary wiring was no good. waiting on some 20 awg wire to arrive then I will continue. Also of note The center harness is a P.IT.A. to disassemble and has no pins it for the connector to pin 2 on the HDC switch. I am removing the wiring info for that since it won't apply now. If this does work it is best to bypass the harness directly unless one wants to pay about $100 for the correct center console wire harness. I don't and will run the wire from the switch directly to the cluster.

The part number for the wire harness is 14A318. Besides it having HDC you need to determine whether you also need either or both keyless entry and the power invertors for the correct harness. The only positive to this is the connector that is on the opposite side for the main wiring does have a wire for HDC installed in it so it is plug and pray.

If this doesn't work on a 4 inch cluster with this switch the next option is to wire it to okay button on the right steering wheel switch.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Update this method will not work a 4 inch cluster screen. I had it wired correctly and HDC enabled in the cluster. Either the pin 7 on the cluster needs to be connected to the steering wheel switch or different codes are needed for a 4 inch cluster. This method should work if you happen to already have the 6 inch cluster without an FX4 package installed. More work is needed to determine the answer. What is for sure is HDC is programmed into the ABS in the system on the XL models. Just how to turn it on is still undiscovered.

OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've started to look at this again and the question I have if anyone can answer is what sensor(s) does HDC use to determine the angle of the vehicle? I need part numbers to determine if they are also installed on an XL or other models without the FX4 package.

Sponsored

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've started to look at this again and the question I have if anyone can answer is what sensor(s) does HDC use to determine the angle of the vehicle? I need part numbers to determine if they are also installed on an XL or other models without the FX4 package.
It's probably using the standard sensors for stability control and rollover detection. I would think those are present on all trims unless it's for some reason just tied to the 6.5" cluster since even a Hybrid Lariat can enable the offroad screen.

OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's probably using the standard sensors for stability control and rollover detection. I would think those are present on all trims unless it's for some reason just tied to the 6.5" cluster since even a Hybrid Lariat can enable the offroad screen.
All I've found is the sensors should be tied into the AdvanceTrac system. I just don't know which sensors specifically they use for HDC. HDC is a Copilot technology not specifically an FX4 one. It is on other vehicles that are not off road spec'd including other brands besides Ford. You don't need to offroad screen for HDC. It is an available option in the 4 inch cluster screens I just can't get it to activate with the forscan setting changes and wiring in the FX4 center console switch.

OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Here is where I am at on the sensors. Looks like HDC uses the same sensors as CC and those sensors should be in or attached to the RCM. The sensors are the lateral, longitudinal and vertical acceleration sensors, yaw and roll rate sensors. What I need to determine is if they are part part of the RCM unit or connected externally. Regardless of trim or package they all use the same RCM module that is mounted under the center console. There are also no forscan settings for these sensors in the module configuration as far as I've found.

If anyone can help I need the pin out diagram for connectors C310A and C310B.

OP
OP

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
To update. I did some more research on this the other day and have found the longitude sensor which I am pretty sure is used for HDC should be inside the RCM unit. It is the only sensor not necessary for CC. So the next thing to determine is if the XLT and Lariat trim use a different RCM and if they don't is it is a wiring issue being the reason or software setting to turn on the sensor.

FischAutoTechGarten

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Green Valley Arizona USA, Alamos Sonora MEX
Vehicle(s)
2024 Mav Lariat EB AWD 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

To update. I did some more research on this the other day and have found the longitude sensor which I am pretty sure is used for HDC should be inside the RCM unit. It is the only sensor not necessary for CC. So the next thing to determine is if the XLT and Lariat trim use a different RCM and if they don't is it is a wiring issue being the reason or software setting to turn on the sensor.
Do you think it's possible something was missed that might have been caught with the $100 wiring harness?
Sponsored