jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD šŸ˜‰
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think it more likely that all 80,000 will be Maverick, due to the 3rd shift being added. My take on this is that there is one shift for each model, the 3rd shift will be dedicated to the Mav line.
That's not how it works. At any given time, there is a mix of both Mavericks and Bronco Sports rolling down the assembly line. You could have them in A-B-A-B-A-B-A-B or any other sequence for all the factory cares. Modern automotive assembly lines have this flexibility and use it to their advantage. It's all carefully choreographed by the computer system to have the right parts to build either model for each station.

Further, they explicitly stated that the 80,000 units will be shared between both models and sold across the Americas.
Sponsored

MiMav

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Escape, '09 Flex
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't think people are dying to get into that 1.5L 3-cylinder tbh.
I had a loaner '22 Escape with the 1.5L. The acceleration was acceptable, but it was loud and the worst sounding engine that I've ever experienced. I would not buy a vehicle with it.

wax87

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Avalon
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

FORD INCREASING PRODUCTION OF POPULAR ELECTRIC, GAS, HYBRID VEHICLES IN RESPONSE TO STRONG CUSTOMER DEMAND

MAR 3, 2023 | DEARBORN

• Ford is boosting production of its popular EVs ā€“ Mustang Mach-EĀ®, F-150Ā® LightningTM and E-TransitTM ā€“ along with other customer favorites like BroncoĀ® Sport and MaverickĀ®
  • Fordā€™s Kansas City Assembly Plant will add a third crew in April to increase production of the best-selling Transit and E-Transit vans
  • In addition to production increases, Ford is studying ways to boost output at Dearborn Truck Plant to meet continued strong demand for the gas and PowerBoostTM hybrid models of the F-150. Ford F-Series is Americaā€™s best-selling truck for 46 consecutive years
DEARBORN, Mich., March 3, 2023 ā€“ Ford is increasing production at manufacturing plants across North America to meet strong customer demand for vehicles including Mustang Mach-E, F-150 Lightning, Bronco Sport and Maverick. The company is also preparing to launch all-new versions of four significant vehicles in 2023: Super DutyĀ®, RangerĀ®, MustangĀ® and EscapeĀ®.

ā€œWe have had a strong start to 2023 sales and we are moving to fast-track quality production,ā€ said Kumar Galhotra, president, Ford Blue. ā€œIncreasing production benefits both our customers and our business.ā€

Through February, Ford is Americaā€™s No. 1 selling overall brand as well as the top truck manufacturer and SUV brand. Ford electric vehicle sales are up 68 percent.

In February, Fordā€™s U.S. market share increased by 1.4 percentage points to 13.3 percent, powered by a 21.9 percent sales increase.

Mustang Mach-E: Ford began increasing production of the Mustang Mach-E this week. Changes at the plant will allow Ford to nearly double its hourly production and bring its annual manufacturing run rate to a targeted 210,000 units by yearsā€™ end.

Mustang Mach-E helped propel Ford to No. 2 in U.S. EV sales in 2022, and is bringing new customers to Ford, with more than two-thirds of customers coming from other makes.

Bronco Sport and Maverick: Ford is increasing production for Bronco Sport and Maverick. Production is targeted to increase by more than 80,000 units this year, helping to meet demand in both North and South America. In the U.S., Ford brand SUV sales totaled 777,770, up 4.6% in 2022 versus 2021, led by the Bronco family of vehicles. Maverick was the No. 1 small truck in America in 2022.

F-150 Lightning: In Michigan, production of the F-150 Lightning at the Rouge Electric Vehicle Center is on track to triple this year, targeting an annual production run rate of 150,000 by the end of 2023. The F-150 Lightning, the best-selling electric truck in the U.S., had sales of 3,600 through February, in addition to the 15,617 sales recorded in 2022. F-150 Lightning production will resume March 13. Overall, for the F-150 Lightning production increase, Ford is investing $2 billion across three plants in Michigan and adding 3,200 union jobs.

Transit and E-Transit: Also adding an additional crew in April is Kansas City Assembly Plant, which manufactures the Transit and the E-Transit vans, Americaā€™s best-selling gas and electric vans in 2022. Ford is targeting an annual production increase of 38,000. Ford is investing $95 million and adding 1,100 union jobs as part of the production increase. Ford is Americaā€™s best-selling commercial van maker for 45 straight years.

F-150 and F-150 PowerBoost: Ford is also looking at ways to increase production at the Dearborn Truck Plant of the F-150 gas and hybrid trucks to meet continued strong demand. The F-Series holds the title of Americaā€™s best-selling truck for 46 consecutive years.
The big question is by how much? I am thinking that 30,000 of us will not get a YM23 hybrid. So what is Ford saying? Will 29,900 of us not get a YM23 Hybrid or only 20,000? Sorry I do analytics for a living, details are important.

Jeddums

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lariat Mav
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

i decontented my loaded Lariat EB down to a base XLT hybrid and received it mid jan. Just an FYI.
Yeah, I would consider that if there weren't a whole bunch of people that placed identical orders to mine back in September 2022 and have been driving their trucks for over a month already.

I honestly don't expect to ever get my order(thanks for nothing Ford), but I'm not going to change what I want when it doesn't seem the odds will change. . .

Onceforall

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Please note that I'm not saying those orders SHOULDN'T have been prioritized above all the new orders - Ford absolutely SHOULD have done that. I'm just saying that Ford left it up to the dealers, many of whom did NOT do that properly. Thus, unless you had a "rollover" order, you no longer have a 9/21 order date...
being a rollover myself, the order number did not change from the '22 to the '23. Ford absolutely knew (and still does) what they were dealing with.

For those that did not have the dealer do the transition correctly, they are the ones having the transition private offer issues as Ford cannot link the old/new orders.

I do not give any mercy to Ford for their failure to prioritize rollover orders. Especially, after they stated how they planned to handle things.

Dealers have handled the PC in different ways. Some gave everyone a PC10. Others, different PC's based upon the order date (most fair way of doing it).

Sponsored

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I don't think people are dying to get into that 1.5L 3-cylinder tbh.
in another thread I said it compares disfavorably to the maverick hybrid.

not just gas mileage. yes, that's 25 city / 28 hwy compared to 42/40, but also while the 1.5 ecoboost makes more hp and torque than the 2.5 hybrid, it can't compare to the instant low-end torque the electric motor offers. if you drive both of them, they both feel fine, and neither really feels massively underpowered unless you drive a 2.0 ecoboost right after.

still, point being, the 2.5 hybrid gets around fine and has very usable power. I would never trade it for the 1.5 ecoboost.

Onceforall

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
That's not how it works. At any given time, there is a mix of both Mavericks and Bronco Sports rolling down the assembly line. You could have them in A-B-A-B-A-B-A-B or any other sequence for all the factory cares. Modern automotive assembly lines have this flexibility and use it to their advantage. It's all carefully choreographed by the computer system to have the right parts to build either model for each station.

Further, they explicitly stated that the 80,000 units will be shared between both models and sold across the Americas.
I like this explanation! That begs the question, why is Ford building so many BS's when the demand is so much smaller than the Mav? I get the supply chain and constraint issues, but surely a lot more Mavs could be built now. The monthly production numbers that were just released show 7000 and change Mavs, but the BS numbers were well into 5 digits.

Edit, just looked up the numbers, they built 13,000 BS's in January but sold only 9,000.

Last edited:

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

being a rollover myself, the order number did not change from the '22 to the '23. Ford absolutely knew (and still does) what they were dealing with.

For those that did not have the dealer do the transition correctly, they are the ones having the transition private offer issues as Ford cannot link the old/new orders.

I do not give any mercy to Ford for their failure to prioritize rollover orders. Especially, after they stated how they planned to handle things.

Dealers have handled the PC in different ways. Some gave everyone a PC10. Others, different PC's based upon the order date (most fair way of doing it).
Yep, i agree that's how it should have worked. And I'm not letting Ford off the hook, either. Just stating that other than rollover orders, everyone's clock re-started on Sept 15th, 2022 because of the lousy way Ford handled it.

Having done some database administration in a former life, it would seem that a simple script could have been run to re-order all those vehicles and prioritize them above all new orders, maybe even assigning them an order date earlier than 9/15/22. But Ford isn't even claiming they are doing first-in, first-out ordering any longer. It's all based on dealer allocation, which is based on previous sales, which is based on... (anyone else seeing the Catch-22 here?)

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The big question is by how much? I am thinking that 30,000 of us will not get a YM23 hybrid. So what is Ford saying? Will 29,900 of us not get a YM23 Hybrid or only 20,000? Sorry I do analytics for a living, details are important.
My tracking is showing about 35,000 without the extra shift. Assuming only half of the 40,000 are Mavericks and Ford sticks with their 35-65 ratio then that leaves 21,000 unbuilt hybrids.

But a lot of assumptions there. Numbers currently hinting that Ford is going a 50-50 build ratio rather than their announced 35-65. But Ford had a bunch of hybrid cancelled VINs that had to be scheduled as well, which could have made up the difference.

One of two things will happen:
  1. Ford is gambling they can get extra hybrid parts in before July and can keep the current hybrid throughput while maintaining the overall 35-65 ratio by adding that third shirt.
  2. Ford runs low on hybrid parts early in the model year and we see a relative drought of hybrids being scheduled in the next few months.

Sponsored

Beach Buggy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2021 Bronco
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like this explanation! That begs the question, why is Ford building so many BS's when the demand is so much smaller than the Mav? I get the supply chain and constraint issues, but surely a lot more Mavs could be built now. The monthly production numbers that were just released show 7000 and change Mavs, but the BS numbers were well into 5 digits.

Ford makes a lot more money off of each of those Bronco Sports than it does a Maverick. Even if there is an incentive on the hood to sell them. The Maverick was supposed to be an entry level vehicle, and those never have good margins.

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My dealership has 5 Mavericks and 10 Bronco Sports in stock. According to my interpretation of how they present their stock, only 4 of the Bronco Sports are actually available at retail while none of the Mavericks are.

Compare that to the 16 Escape, 22 Edge, and 63 Explorer listed in stock.

Discounting the Escape as that factory has been closed for the last month, the Bronco Sport is still a limited item and it makes sense for Ford to build as many as they can.

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I offered the suggestion in another thread that it is due to differences in powertrains and overly-optimistic sales forecasts for the Bronco Sport.

3 years ago, a lot of people thought the Bronco Sport was the new Bronco they had been promised. They were excited. They bought or wanted to buy. Today, people know that it's really just a crossover/CUV, and the real Bronco is starting to become more available.

The Bronco Sport is expensive for a compact utility, and it doesn't have an option for a hybrid. The Badlands version is great offroad, but not even close to as capable as a real Bronco. I think long-term Ford is going to have a problem with the Bronco Sport unless they give it the 2.5 hybrid soon, like MY24.

... Build more Mavericks, problems solved. :D

Onceforall

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
... Build more Mavericks, problems solved. :D
Agreed. Many of the retail mav orders are high end units pushing $30k. Very decent profit margins. Ford could easily build and sell thousands of high end units and they would all sell quickly if MSRP was the price.
Sponsored