First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I find that most U-haul trailers need a height to the top of the ball of right at 20", so depending on the dimension to the top of the 2" opening, a 2" drop insert might be slightly low. The Ford part # you posted is just the ball, so you still need the insert. For in-frequent use, no need to spend the $$$ for a Ford-branded setup.

HRG
Meant to put BL3Z19A282B, just copy pasted wrong one from my cart.

Thank you! I’ll look around more.
Sponsored

Old Ranchero

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So I have a question as someone who has not towed before; is the ford accessory hitch with 2” drop the best all around to go for? Part number BL3Z19F503B - I was going to get a curt or something and there’s tons of different part numbers for 2” hitches with 2” drop, they all look the same to me. Plus I read complaints of rattling with certain aftermarket ones. I literally know nothing about them. I do have tow package Just in case.

I don’t and won’t be buying a boat or anything crazy anytime soon. I just want a basic setup to keep under the seat in case we need to rent a small u haul trailer to get some large furniture home etc.

I would appreciate the help!
I only experience rattling when there is no trailer, and/or no load on the tongue. There is always going to be a little slop between receiver and your hitch allowing it to "hop" up & down with no load. l have also found that there is a big difference when towing with body on frame trucks vs. Uni body like my Jeep SUV and the Maverick. Any noises coming from the hitch area are magnified into the cabin on uni body because there is no isolation from the frame.

onetequilatwo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hybrid Lariat Maverick and 2019 RAV4
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Watch videos of towing failures. I'm serious. Not to scare people or make fun of others (who may have been harmed) but go see what happens in real world. In real world dashcams, fish tailing pops up more often that I'd like, and sadly it often ends with total loss of control of the vehicle and a crash. A smart person will start looking at 'how to prevent fish tailing while towing".

There's lots of vids of toy trailers on treadmills to demonstrate fish tailing at various weights, but this Dutch one below adds a unique point IMO. It shows the affect of adding payload to the towing vehicle. Most vids about fish tailing only redistribute weight on the towed trailer. You don't need to speak Dutch to get the idea: adding payload to towing vehicle instead of adding that weight back to the towed trailer also reduces fish tailing. And yes, like the English speaking videos say, adding weight behind the axle of the towed trailer is just inviting fish tailing. So my general rules are:

1) pack the truck cabin 1st (front axle)
2) pack the truck bed (rear axle)
3) lightly pack/load the trailer -- go ahead of its axle / towards the tongue
4) resist urge to heavily pack/load the trailer, and behind trailer's axle = Just Say NO!
5) check tongue weight / sag (measure sag, or I just bought a Weigh Safe ball to be safer)

At the 2:55 mark can see 8 weights on the rear axle and 12 on the trailer fore a 3:2 ration of weight distributions. So would it be safe to assume need about 400lbs of weight on the rear axle for a 600lb lawn mower strapped in slightly towards the tongue.

RNeeley

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL, 1944 Willy MB, 1949 Dodge project.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do not be afraid or ashamed if you have to pull forward when the trailer is not going back straight, and reset. Better to move up and line up the trailer than to try and jockey it around. I was having trouble backing in at the local land fill do to reflections in the mirror. It took a couple tries but I got it. The guy next to me just went for it and took out the left tail light on his trailer. He ran into the pile left by the last guy.

Sponsored

DarkStormy

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Watch videos of towing failures. I'm serious. Not to scare people or make fun of others (who may have been harmed) but go see what happens in real world. In real world dashcams, fish tailing pops up more often that I'd like, and sadly it often ends with total loss of control of the vehicle and a crash. A smart person will start looking at 'how to prevent fish tailing while towing".

There's lots of vids of toy trailers on treadmills to demonstrate fish tailing at various weights, but this Dutch one below adds a unique point IMO. It shows the affect of adding payload to the towing vehicle. Most vids about fish tailing only redistribute weight on the towed trailer. You don't need to speak Dutch to get the idea: adding payload to towing vehicle instead of adding that weight back to the towed trailer also reduces fish tailing. And yes, like the English speaking videos say, adding weight behind the axle of the towed trailer is just inviting fish tailing. So my general rules are:

1) pack the truck cabin 1st (front axle)
2) pack the truck bed (rear axle)
3) lightly pack/load the trailer -- go ahead of its axle / towards the tongue
4) resist urge to heavily pack/load the trailer, and behind trailer's axle = Just Say NO!
5) check tongue weight / sag (measure sag, or I just bought a Weigh Safe ball to be safer)

That is a fantastic video, thanks for posting it. Even an old over the road truck driver can learn something new.

pndwind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450 Amb
Engine
Undecided
Secure your load! Old timers could do a great job with some good rope and proper knots. These days just buy some ratchet straps.

thyITguy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Lets assume your backing up slowly and your trying to get into a spot or driveway or whatever
and you're checking all your sides
just as @Spook said and started this thread

I use a trick my pops taught me
along with small adjustments and using your mirrors
I find it quite beneficial to have your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel while looking over your right shoulder behind you move the wheel the way you want the back of the trailer to go
this method fulfills the need to "steer wheel in opposite direction " while not really have to think about it much and you can keep your eyes on the back end

(this is assuming that your bed is empty and you can see the corners of the trailer )

HAPPY TOWING

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I see that many on here are getting their first truck. Since it comes with a trailer hitch, many will probably get a trailer as they see a need. So, those that have never pulled a trailer, need some tips from those of us that have. I will start it off and everyone else will add their experience to the thread.
1. If you have never pulled a trailer and plan on getting a 2 wheeled trailer, find an empty parking lot and practice backing the trailer into a parking spot. You will soon learn that you will need to turn the steering wheel the opposite direction you want the trailer to go. I hope this gets you off to a good start. Now, here are some tips from others:
If you place your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel when you back the trailer will go in the direction you move your hand. 🤩

Micheal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Micheal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Escape Hy, 2014 Escape, 2022 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you place your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel when you back the trailer will go in the direction you move your hand. 🤩
Yes, was going to offer this tip, but saw your post. I usually put both hands at bottom.

My other tips for a new trailer user would be extreme caution on curves and on/off ramps, and remove the hitch when not using it, No rattles, no theft, and no "hooking a bumper" of a parked car. Not fun. Didn't have cameras when I learned that one.

MakinDoForNow

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes, was going to offer this tip, but saw your post. I usually put both hands at bottom.

My other tips for a new trailer user would be extreme caution on curves and on/off ramps, and remove the hitch when not using it, No rattles, no theft, and no "hooking a bumper" of a parked car. Not fun. Didn't have cameras when I learned that one.
"Hooking a bumper" reminded me of the time I was forced to sudden stop and just successfully made it with about 4 ft to spare. I looked in my mirror and saw a car with his wheels locked. The bumper was dragging pavement and sparks were flying. All I could do was brace for impact. The driver almost made it but my hitch penetrated his grill and was wedged just under his hood and the ball had pushed a round bump up in it. After his car was stopped my rear bumper was picked up several inches. I suffered almost no damage but his car suffered a LOT!
Sponsored