Dadmezz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So was following the threads here on enabling cruise but didn’t see anyone doing it on a hybrid…

Went and bought a 2020 Escape steering wheel with leather and heat, swapped it out for the XL wheel and spent a bit of time fiddling with FORscan to get it operational.

Worked like a charm!

First I suggest unhooking the battery, which resides under the rear passenger side seat:

7C152B43-7882-408C-A3C2-E2BC98128832.jpeg

To remove old wheel:

Use flat blade each side from back and move the ‘levers’ toward center of the wheel, horn button/airbag :

599CF9F3-6355-47F6-B5F8-C05187BD4339.jpeg

Rotate the wheel 90 degrees to access each side, have to hold the airbag on the releases side so it doesn’t re-attach.

Once removed, unhook the connections, the white clip comes off by pushing the center tab, to remove the airbag clips slide a flat blade under the orange tab and lift, once the tabs are raised the clip can be carefully pulled straight off the airbag.

A6E777A6-0016-4629-B71C-3B24A38C4693.jpeg

Take off the nut holding the wheel on, I used an impact gun..

776C1583-BE82-4920-A04E-77F9D1E653C6.jpeg

Reattach the new wheel in reverse of the removal process.

Interestingly the new heated wheel had wiring for heat, but the socket in the clock spring didn’t have the spade terminals to receive it…I’m looking to add heated wheel so will re-address this in a separate thread.

7112E5D2-7694-4950-81B7-959CC23C825A.jpeg

New wheel in place:

1FA0BE3D-FAF2-4328-903B-D748E0ABECF3.jpeg

Now came programming via FORscan- I used this one:

OBDLink EX FORScan OBD Adapter
Loaded Forscan, accepted the modules, had a friend with a Lariat so scanned his to see what the settings were..

for the right button, changed the setting in the SCCM module to #1

13DFA44F-25C3-4F72-8D4D-C8039458990A.jpeg

The left button was trickier - had to go through all the options as the XL didn't have adaptive CC, just ‘regular’ CC. Checked the volume switch it until it worked, which was #11

DC256593-915A-4287-AD43-955AED599410.jpeg

So switches worked, but still no cruise enabled. Tried a bunch of modules wherever there was ‘cruise control’ listed but nothing seemed to add criise operation until I flipped this in the IPC module:

F37085C9-5DC4-4D09-A582-D9B8A18CC3E0.jpeg

And it worked! Operating CC in a Hybrid!

3BE615F0-5A9D-4894-8541-D155B73E03F1.jpeg

All buttons work as intended and was certainly a very easy and integrated way to add cruise to the Hybrid Maverick.

Hope this helps others as I just can’t live without cruise, especially on long trips..
Great job!
You performed this hack task better than anyone.
Come on Ford give the XL customer what they want, an option for cruise control, Give a little so we don't ruin our warranty . You still will make the profit. Marketing just amazes me because the customer is always smarter than them.
Sponsored

Last edited:

FakeCowboy

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX
Great job!
You performed this hack task better than anyone.
Common Ford give the XL customer what they want, an option for cruise control, Give a little so we don't ruin our warranty . You still will make the profit. Marketing just amazes me because the customer is always smarter than them.
This won't ruin your warranty. Look into the Magnuson Moss warranty act. Ford cannot just blanket void your warranty due to this change and for anything that did go wrong they would have to prove that this specific change was the direct cause of it to deny a warranty claim.

Dadmezz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This won't ruin your warranty. Look into the Magnuson Moss warranty act. Ford cannot just blanket void your warranty due to this change and for anything that did go wrong they would have to prove that this specific change was the direct cause of it to deny a warranty claim.
Interesting, so Ford pretty much may not be meeting their customer's needs like they say they are? They have a golden opportunity for improvement and profit.

Thanks. I did look it up.
Reminds me of a 1972 Datsun pickup engine warranty issue I had. I used an aftermarket filter and the engine seized up. I worked at a motor parts store at the time . The Datsun dealer said it was the filter. I got the filter sales rep to follow the removal of the filter...the damn thing did its job it was full of large journal fillings clogging it up. Further engine inspection found journal cut fillings from manufacturing all through the engine. That was before the act and the rep saved me a big bill.

Last edited:

FakeCowboy

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX
Interesting, so Ford pretty much may not be meeting their customer's needs like they say they are? They have a golden opportunity for improvement and profit.
Improvement how? They are maximizing profits by pushing people to a higher profit XLT trim just so they can have cruise control. I want to say the difference between a similarly optioned XL and XLT Maverick is almost $3k. Do the few options you get in an XLT over an XL cost anything remotely close to $3k? doubtful.......

Dadmezz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I think you are on the ri
Improvement how? They are maximizing profits by pushing people to a higher profit XLT trim just so they can have cruise control. I want to say the difference between a similarly optioned XL and XLT Maverick is almost $3k. Do the few options you get in an XLT over an XL cost anything remotely close to $3k? doubtful.......
You are on the right side of the argument and preaching to the quire...I would like an a-la-cart option also.
That is all in Ford's control. Hopefully they can be persuaded to our side of the argument per their economy sales pitch.
for the Maverick

Sponsored

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, AWD, 4K tow, 2.0L EcoBoost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
People have been hacking the F150 for a while, adding adaptive cruise, heated steering wheel and seats, etc. The fact is that most consumers don't want to bother and would prefer to just get it that way from the factory so I don't think Ford cares about the minority of owners who cheat the system.
Ford makes money either way. They probably make more profit per piece on aftermarket parts sales for the same part than when have to put it in the vehicle as a stock or package option.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I think you are on the ri

You are on the right side of the argument and preaching to the quire...I would like an a-la-cart option also.
That is all in Ford's control. Hopefully they can be persuaded to our side of the argument per their economy sales pitch.
for the Maverick
I doubt you'll see an ala carte option because of price fluctuations. Now you have to selectively stock parts based on demand and can get on the bad end of a price increase for stuff that fits on only Mavericks. You do packages and you can hide a money loser if that happens and still come out ahead on the overall package when you cost average.

If you are willing throw around enough money along with others someone will come up with an ala carte aftermarket business and get it sanctioned by Ford were it doesn't potentially void warranties for the skittish people who want to spend for options that are factory but not enabled by default and don't know how to or don't trust anyone but a "certified professional" to do it.

Last edited:

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't know about standard cruise control but they could have easily offered ACC and in turn lane centering, evasive steering and even the backup sensor system as part of a Copilot 360+ package for Mavericks. They already do that for other vehicles like the Escape. Factor in how many more parts they would have sold vs. Lariat's with and without the Lux package I best they would have pulled in a lot more than ~$3800 x however many Lux packages sold. I think the issue here is doing it this way would have created even greater delays than already for the lower trim levels being held up for sensors and brackets that only fit on a Maverick and no other Ford.

There are other features in the Maverick not documented like intelligent cruise control and traffic sign recognition. If you have ACC it is just a few forscan setting changes to turn on intelligent CC. TSR though it can work in tandem with ACC and a nav system works without either and is functional on all trims with a few forscan settings. I haven't checked yet but there should be other features like Park Assist that could potentially be modded in using Escape parts.

Last edited:

Dadmezz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I doubt you'll see an ala carte option because of price fluctuations. Now you have to selectively stock parts based on demand and can get on the bad end of a price increase for stuff that fits on only Mavericks. You do packages and you can hide a money loser if that happens and still come out ahead on the overall package when you cost average.

If you are willing throw around enough money along with others someone will come up with an ala carte aftermarket business and get it sanctioned by Ford were it doesn't potentially void warranties for the skittish people who want to spend for options that are factory but not enabled by default and don't know how to or don't trust anyone but a "certified professional" to do it.
Customer really has choices but always has the bill to go along with it...with this market strategy the customer will always be impractical and have to pay more for the newly considered basic options.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Customer really has choices but always has the bill to go along with it...with this market strategy the customer will always be impractical and have to pay more for the newly considered basic options.
These also aren't normal times, too many people load up on a single option that is an unnecessary production delay that can be avoided. Ford has to balance how to sell the most parts in the vehicle while still being able to sell the vehicle and sell it a way that doesn't alienate too many customers. If you look on this forum and elsewhere you really don't see an outcry for ala carte options so why are they going to risk upending an established business model for it.

Last edited:
Sponsored

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I don't know about standard cruise control but they could have easily offered ACC and in turn lane centering, evasive steering and even the backup sensor system as part of a Copilot 360+ package for Mavericks. They already do that for other vehicles like the Escape. Factor in how many more parts they would have sold vs. Lariat's with and without the Lux package I best they would have pulled in a lot more than ~$3800 x however many Lux packages sold. I think the issue here is doing it this way would have created even greater delays than already for the lower trim levels being held up for sensors and brackets that only fit on a Maverick and no other Ford.

There are other features in the Maverick not documented like intelligent cruise control and traffic sign recognition. If you have ACC it is just a few forscan setting changes to turn on intelligent CC. TSR though it can work in tandem with ACC and a nav system works without either and is functional on all trims with a few forscan settings. I haven't checked yet but there should be other features like Park Assist that could potentially be modded in using Escape parts.
Actually on cruise control they could have packaged it in regular Copilot 360 to be consistent from 360 to 360+. It is only about a $100 difference in parts and if they marked the Copilot package a few hundred more I think most people would have thrown down for a 360 package anyways except for the thrifty types and guys who just didn't want any of those options even on the Lariat trim.

Dadmezz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
These also aren't normal times, too many people load up on a single option that is an unnecessary production delay that can be avoided. Ford has balance how to sell the most parts in the vehicle while still being able to sell the vehicle and sell it a way that doesn't alienate too many customers. If you look on this forum and elsewhere you really don't see an outcry for ala carte options so why are they going to risk upending an established business model for it.
The only thing I hang my hat on is, Ford got rid of their affordable cars for the economy minded. So they offered the great Maverick but deprived them of a few choice options. But gave them electric windows for enticement toward higher priced packages. I understand and I'm confused at the same time...just a customer dolling out his hard earned cash. MSRP agreement isn't enough I guess.

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The only thing I hang my hat on is, Ford got rid of their affordable cars for the economy minded. So they offered the great Maverick but deprived them of a few choice options. But gave them electric windows for enticement toward higher priced packages. I understand and I'm confused at the same time...just a customer dolling out his hard earned cash. MSRP agreement isn't enough I guess.
Ford got the package thing wrong on this one IMO. It doesn't seem like a single cohesive vision more like a hodge podge of stuff that someone had to reconcile at almost the last second before a hard deadline.

Mavnick87

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I know Ford intended to make this a customizable platform for the DIY crowd, but this is probably a little more than they anticipated. I’m definitely planning on installing a steering wheel from an escape or fiesta once my XL Maverick arrives. For anyone that may only find used fiesta or focus steering wheels overseas with the “LIM” speed limiter function, we SHOULD be able to remove the LIM switch and swap in the cruise control switch assembly.
Someone may want to confirm that the following ford p/n is accurate and interchangeable:
Genuine Cruise Switch LJ6Z9C888AB: Ford 2020 - 2021 Switch Assembly - Control

Maverick2022XL

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I know Ford intended to make this a customizable platform for the DIY crowd, but this is probably a little more than they anticipated. I’m definitely planning on installing a steering wheel from an escape or fiesta once my XL Maverick arrives. For anyone that may only find used fiesta or focus steering wheels overseas with the “LIM” speed limiter function, we SHOULD be able to remove the LIM switch and swap in the cruise control switch assembly.
Someone may want to confirm that the following ford p/n is accurate and interchangeable:
Genuine Cruise Switch LJ6Z9C888AB: Ford 2020 - 2021 Switch Assembly - Control
The limiter function is already available in the cluster if you want to enable it. The cluster in a Maverick is for all practical purposes the same cluster in the last model fiestas aka 2018 and I think 19 if that was the last year but with bigger register address and more features.

The switches are already known.
https://www.mavericktruckclub.com/f...ls-only-hill-descent-non-fx4-all-models.8959/
Sponsored