Sponsored

Exterior black plastic panels fading from sunlight?

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybr 2018 F150 Lariat 3.5 ECO
Is it just me or do others notice their exterior black plastic panels fading from the sunlight? I am seeing some whiting already happening after only a month and a half. Maybe not enough UV protectant in the plastic recipe? This is going to be fun in the Texas summer sun.

I applied my first coat of aerospace 303 protectant, dang there's alot of panels on the Mav. On another note..dang the Mav looks good after bringing all that black matte to view!

I guess I can always dye them, I think there's a protectant that has dye in it.

Recommendation, protect those plastic panels now while they are still new.
Sponsored

Shawshi

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 MKX, 1980 F150, 2002 Firebird, 2022 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A couple weeks after I picked up my Mav we had a wind storm with a lot of dust. I did notice a couple days later some dinginess but didn't think it was from fading.
Went to my shed and grabbed a bottle of 7 year old Armor All and wiped the trim down and looks great again. Not a commercial for Armor All, but I do get the feeling that maybe there is a mold release coating on the trim pieces, or the texture collecting dust that gives them the appearance of fading.
After routine protection of any product I think the trim will be fine.

Hot pepper

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Is it just me or do others notice their exterior black plastic panels fading from the sunlight? I am seeing some whiting already happening after only a month and a half. Maybe not enough UV protectant in the plastic recipe? This is going to be fun in the Texas summer sun.

I applied my first coat of aerospace 303 protectant, dang there's alot of panels on the Mav. On another note..dang the Mav looks good after bringing all that black matte to view!

I have a 2003 Ranger and was told to use Mother's Black to Black to apply to the black plastic parts and that it worked miracles. I just bough a bottle and will use it this week end.

maggie06

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 crv 2022 oxford white maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a 2003 Ranger and was told to use Mother's Black to Black to apply to the black plastic parts and that it worked miracles. I just bough a bottle and will use it this week end.
Did mine with a product called Cerakote, bought on Amazon and is guaranteed To last 200 washes.

A neighbor did his 2000 f150 about 6 weeks ago and it still looks amazing, like brand new on 22 year old trim.

But the back bumper cap was too far gone so he replaced it. Can't Tell the difference Between new and old.

Sponsored

Hope4jsl

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux Ecoboost
I was thinking about applying some sort of ceramic trim protectant to the plastic trim myself. Most of the trim restore products don’t last very long. The two that seem to get the best reviews are Cerakote for trim and Ceratrim. Does anybody have any experience with these? I also thought about just applying regular ceramic coating that says it will work with plastics.

Hope4jsl

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux Ecoboost
Did mine with a product called Cerakote, bought on Amazon and is guaranteed To last 200 washes.

A neighbor did his 2000 f150 about 6 weeks ago and it still looks amazing, like brand new on 22 year old trim.

But the back bumper cap was too far gone so he replaced it. Can't Tell the difference Between new and old.
I was thinking about using Cerakote myself on the Maverick. How did it apply? Any streaking? Did you wipe off or just let it dry? What parts of the truck did you use it on, lower trim, bed rails, etc? What about the door B panels?

HalfFast

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
I'm not saying that I would do this right away but down the road if they fade, I will paint them.

I have an old work truck that the trim faded badly on. I tried a couple different products and they would look decent but didn't last very long and was hard to coat evenly.

I bought some spray paint specifically made for plastic trim. I took my time masking everything off, cleaned the trim with rubbing alcohol and painted it. 5 years later, no other treatments other than the occasional wash and they still look fantastic.

OP
OP
Mach 1

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the product updates, I will look into them, however the b pillar black is decals.

I think I have some of the black dye stuff, I am going to try the clear coating as I hear some positive info on it. I don't want to wipe 303 on mine every week.

Good info here thx for sharing, I like when someone else finds a good product, then I use it on his recommendation.

NJ Pinelands

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

My eyes aren’t what they used to be. I am having trouble seeing a few months into the future from New Jersey to Mexico. I guess I won’t notice any fading as I finally get to drive my 2022.999 Maverick home during the first snowstorm.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mach 1

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good one

bigbicep24

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, 2020 Ford Transit , 1965 Chevelle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I used 303 on all my plastic on my Maverick 3 days after I got it. Looks great still 3 weeks later.
It states using it every couple weeks on the bottle. But they do that for you to keep buying it. Walmart was the cheapest for it.

OP
OP
Mach 1

Mach 1

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wal mart has 303? Thx for heads up, I will try my store..

kcamp317

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid 16 Ford Escape SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I use the hybrid ceramic spray. You can use it on the paint like a wax/ceramic, all the black textured plastics and rubber, glass etc. It keeps the black plastics deep black and repels water like a freshly waxed paint. Lasts a long time too. Plus it makes it easier to do the whole car at once without having to worry about getting wax on the plastics or masking with tape. Actual real ceramic coating works on black/textured plastics as well.

maggie06

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 crv 2022 oxford white maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was thinking about using Cerakote myself on the Maverick. How did it apply? Any streaking? Did you wipe off or just let it dry? What parts of the truck did you use it on, lower trim, bed rails, etc? What about the door B panels?
Used it on everything plastic. Super simple .
Watch a YouTube Video, read the instructions, and take your time.
Plus, there's a lot more plastic than I thought.
Sponsored