jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
NA EcoSport came from the factory in India which they shut down as a departure from the country. It wasn't exactly a volume seller, and was mainly available because they had excess capacity over there. Was never really a strategically important product for Ford NA.

brnpttmn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, I think the OP is wanting something with higher ground clearance than the Flex, possibly with some off-roading capabilities
That, and the value prop for the Flex was pretty poor. Started over $30K and got 18mpg combined. Something with the dimensions of the Maverick (including the slimer width - Edge and Flex were 3 inches wider) and the same value prop (hybrid FWD starting mid $20s) with three rows and fold-down seats to fit 4x8 sheets inside would give some big competition to larger SUVs and minivans.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

C2 is the same platform as Focus, we just don't get that in North America. NA mk4 Focus production was tentatively moved from Michigan to a new plant in Mexico that was never finished, then to Hermosillo (home of Maverick and Bronco Sport), then to China, then axed altogether "because tariff". Elsewhere in the world, Focus has long been offered as a station wagon in addition to a hatchback and sedan.

The Chinese import Focus was supposed to be a Focus Active spec, basically a lifted hatchback to compete with a Subaru Crosstrek.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-cutting-car-lineup-two-vehicles-north-america/
My uncle in Eastern Europe has been buying cheap Focus wagon diesels for as long as I can remember. They're awesome.

Sponsored

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
There is also the Ford Everest, but that supposedly isn't coming here (yet).
Being based on the same platform as Ranger and Bronco, they could always build Everest at Michigan Assembly, presuming they do have enough excess capacity - once supply constraints let up. Whether they have capacity and decide to do so or not remains to be seen.

They could of course choose to import those, but that's not as likely as I don't believe any SUVs/CUVs/trucks are imported from outside NA, now that EcoSport is gone. And EcoSport was a product of convenience rather than an attempt to compete. Mustang Mach-E is built down in Mexico, Maverick and Bronco Sport as well. F-Series, E-Series, Expedition/Navigator, Explorer/Aviator, Escape/Corsair, all built stateside.

Edge/Nautilus are built in Canada for one more year.

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Id be buying a Bronco sport if it was a priced like a Maverick and had room for our dogs behind the rear seats.

Tiger Dude

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ford can't compete with imports in those segments. It's why they abandoned sedans. The Rav4 had a micro 3rd row of seats, but no one used them, plus it is a better car then Ford can make. The Flex was a much larger vehicle, bigger than any sedan they had, and it never sold anyway. And they don't want to cannibalize Explorer sales.

Ford has to put their capital into EVs. If they had capability to make enclosed Mavericks they'd just make more Mavericks, and it's pretty clear they could sell 2 to 3 times as many as they're making now, most people don't even know it exists.

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yeah, I think the OP is wanting something with higher ground clearance than the Flex, possibly with some off-roading capabilities
Doesn't that describe the Explorer Timberline, same 200" OAL as the Maverick, can fit 48" wide panels inside?

HRG

Sponsored

Maverickman74

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Bronco, 91 Comanche, 93 ZJ, 80 Eagle, Bicycle
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Doesn't that describe the Explorer Timberline, same 200" OAL as the Maverick, can fit 48" wide panels inside?

HRG
There is a $10k price gap in a enclosed Maverick and a Timberline.

Ford can't compete with imports in those segments. It's why they abandoned sedans. The Rav4 had a micro 3rd row of seats, but no one used them, plus it is a better car then Ford can make. The Flex was a much larger vehicle, bigger than any sedan they had, and it never sold anyway. And they don't want to cannibalize Explorer sales.

Ford has to put their capital into EVs. If they had capability to make enclosed Mavericks they'd just make more Mavericks, and it's pretty clear they could sell 2 to 3 times as many as they're making now, most people don't even know it exists.
Ford sold plenty of Flexs. My dad bought 2, ordered and optioned. Tons of people did and like Excursion they keep more value than they should. If there was an offroady version I would be interested. What OP is thinking about is a Bronco Sport with out the pricey name, and a extra 2ft of cargo space. I think it would do well with a top out pricing of $40k, same trims and packages as the Maverick. Maybe a good place to introduce plug in hybrid with a performance boost.

OP
OP
ClintonDix

ClintonDix

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
There is a $10k price gap in a enclosed Maverick and a Timberline.

Ford sold plenty of Flexs. My dad bought 2, ordered and optioned. Tons of people did and like Excursion they keep more value than they should. If there was an offroady version I would be interested. What OP is thinking about is a Bronco Sport with out the pricey name, and a extra 2ft of cargo space. I think it would do well with a top out pricing of $40k, same trims and packages as the Maverick. Maybe a good place to introduce plug in hybrid with a performance boost.
Exactly what I’m getting at, I know the American market probably wouldn’t go for it off the bat but the outback sells well, at least in the parts of the country that have truly defined seasons. Ford has said that they’re not going to compete in the sedan market and focus on their larger vehicles. If they can perfect a platform to work well with several different body styles then that would be a win. My vision of it is a light adventure vehicle that would allow for the option to camp in the car without the need of a rooftop tent or for families that would like a larger vehicle but don’t want to shell out the money for an edge which starts at nearly $38k! The escape already competes with the forester, and the outback is simply an elongated version of that platform for pretty much the same money. I think it could be a great addition to the fleet

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So a Ford Flex then
images.jpeg
We had a Flex and loved it. Great road car. Excellent tracking, plenty of room and reliable. Shame Ford stopped production.

Dad

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, - Lariat, Hyundai Palisade
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Now we're talking! A lifted Flex with gnarly tires. I'd love to see one.