2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

So my salesman was Johnny-on-the-Spot and took personal responsibility for making sure my Ford Pass Points were on my account two short days after I took delivery of Lil Red on August 8th. Ordered the modular bedliner on a Saturday, it arrived on Wednesday and I installed it this past Friday. I'm a gray-haired woman, and did the work myself, and am right pleased with the results, but I thought I'd share some thoughts/challenges to help anyone else who is about to undertake the project:

* I watched alllllllllll the install videos, and printed out the instructions, and had all of it memorized and was prepared (I thought) for the actual install. I was not. It turned out the biggest hurdle for me was tools, of which I have an embarrassing quantity, but not the BEST tools for the job. Here's the issues I ran into tool wise:

* I had a T40 torx bit for the difficult front tie downs on the floor, but those buggers still would not BUDGE for me. I do not know why. I am aware the specs call for an IP40, but everything I read said they came out with a T40 just fine. Mine did not, and I still don't know why, but damn...those things were IN THERE. I tried other sizes, to no avail. I ended up driving the truck to my local mechanic, who is thankfully just blocks away, and he had a TP40 and an impact drill which took them out in no time, and he tossed the bit to me so I could finish the job at home. Pays to have a great, nearby mechanic. I had no issues with any of the torx bits on the rest of the job, all standard, all in my tool box and of good quality. (Side NOTE: In lots of videos and comments, people complained that those flat tie downs go back in with only the two prescribed/supplied pieces of tape down, and that it results in a part of the bed color showing through, which is unattractive at best. Knowing this in advance, I supplemented the tape with a small piece of black gorilla duct tape I had, did the trick nicely. )

* I THOUGHT I had an extension that would allow my primarily socket torx to work with my drill gun, but of COURSE when I went to go lay hands on it, it had disappeared into the tool void somewhere. So I was condemned to wrenching most of the screws with a simple socket wrench, which was not a problem except it just added to the TIME the whole thing took, and I lost a good ten pounds in sweat, as I was wrenching in Alabama. I have since purchased a set of torx that will work in my screw gun, so the adapter can stay lost.

The install itself was much simpler than I expected though, primarily by virtue of watching all those videos. I used an angle grinder with a diamond wheel I had sitting around to cut the holes for the bed cubby storage areas, which made for very quick work and a clean line. Every video I watched and the instructions themselves advised a jig saw, but I'm a former metal hobbyist and super comfy with a grinder, so I went that way. I used a 1 and 1/8th" spade bit to cut the holes for the tie downs. Specs call for a step bit to 1 and 1/8th", but mine didn't go that high and I figured the spade bit would work fine and it did, no issues at all, nice clean holes, I took the extra step of beginning the hole on the backside at the marked indentation, and then flipping it over and completing it from the other side, years of habit doing that when working with wood to make a clean cut. In one of the videos I watched I saw someone using a file to clean up the edges of such cuts, but I found a simple blade (box cutter or a good knife) worked well to remove the scraggly pieces after a cut. I took my time and did all the prep work/cutting first.

In videos you learn the bedliner arrives in a box and the big bottom piece is kinda' folded over, and mine was, of course, so I laid it out in my den overnight, with some light weights on it (including a cat) to flatten it out, which did the trick. HOWEVER, no one had mentioned the tailgate piece, so I didn't pay that much attention to it until I went to install it, and realized both ends were bowed up a good bit. If I'd realized it sooner, I'd have weighted it down in advance, to make it lay back, but too late, had to work with those ends, coaxing them down and into shape before the install, but they're still waving at me a bit, (Photo #5) I figure with time and the tailgate closed they'll settle in.

In some of the earliest installs of this unit I saw a lot of people commenting on the back piece, the one nearest the cab that has the Maverick logo on it -- about it not laying exactly flat, and requiring all kinds of creativity to get it to lay flat and adhere. I'm guessing that the manufacturer may have actually adjusted something after those early ones, because mine not only laid flat, it was so flat and tight it was a challenge to perform the last step, which is getting behind it to pull the red tape cover off and adhere it to the bed. (You can see how tight it is against the cab in the last photo, you couldn't even slide a fingernail behind it now).

My ONLY criticism of the product is on the tailgate piece. There are screws holding it down in the section of the tailgate piece closest to you with the tailgate down, but curiously nothing at ALL holding it down in the part closest to the bed, so I anticipate issues with stuff sliding up under there, nothing at all to stop it. A poor design element, in my opinion.

After Ford Pass points and the Ford.com 20% discount, the bedliner cost me $150. Please don't start with the drop in versus spray arguments, I've had drop ins in every truck I've owned across a lifetime, and never a worry or problem, and this one appears to be of better overall quality than any I've had previously. And even an elderly woman can install it! :p

(Late Edit: Forgot to mention, I'm 5' 6", not tall enough to comfortably reach in and wrench off the tie downs and such, or wiggle the side pieces in easily, so a two-step stool was my most helpful tool, let me just lean over the sides and work).

Ford Maverick Even an old woman can install the Ford Modular Bed Liner! -- DIY instructions & tips IMG_20230818_125701789_HDR
Ford Maverick Even an old woman can install the Ford Modular Bed Liner! -- DIY instructions & tips IMG_20230820_100402025
Ford Maverick Even an old woman can install the Ford Modular Bed Liner! -- DIY instructions & tips IMG_20230820_100427685
Ford Maverick Even an old woman can install the Ford Modular Bed Liner! -- DIY instructions & tips IMG_20230820_100408060
Ford Maverick Even an old woman can install the Ford Modular Bed Liner! -- DIY instructions & tips IMG_20230820_100413431
Ford Maverick Even an old woman can install the Ford Modular Bed Liner! -- DIY instructions & tips IMG_20230820_101326098
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Last Truck Ever

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Gretal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Char
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota SUV Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
From one gray hair lady to another, job well done. Thanks for sharing your experience and the pictures.

Sponsored

Steve Urquell

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 XLT AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

MaverickMom

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2022, Maverick Hybrid XLT Lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So my salesman was Johnny-on-the-Spot and took personal responsibility for making sure my Ford Pass Points were on my account two short days after I took delivery of Lil Red on August 8th. Ordered the modular bedliner on a Saturday, it arrived on Wednesday and I installed it this past Friday. I'm a gray-haired woman, and did the work myself, and am right pleased with the results, but I thought I'd share some thoughts/challenges to help anyone else who is about to undertake the project:........
Great post. As an old lady myself, after reading your post, I am going to try this.

Montauk

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick XL, 2023 F-150 Rattler pkg
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So my salesman was Johnny-on-the-Spot and took personal responsibility for making sure my Ford Pass Points were on my account two short days after I took delivery of Lil Red on August 8th. Ordered the modular bedliner on a Saturday, it arrived on Wednesday and I installed it this past Friday. I'm a gray-haired woman, and did the work myself, and am right pleased with the results, but I thought I'd share some thoughts/challenges to help anyone else who is about to undertake the project:

* I watched alllllllllll the install videos, and printed out the instructions, and had all of it memorized and was prepared (I thought) for the actual install. I was not. It turned out the biggest hurdle for me was tools, of which I have an embarrassing quantity, but not the BEST tools for the job. Here's the issues I ran into tool wise:

* I had a T40 torx bit for the difficult front tie downs on the floor, but those buggers still would not BUDGE for me. I do not know why. I am aware the specs call for an IP40, but everything I read said they came out with a T40 just fine. Mine did not, and I still don't know why, but damn...those things were IN THERE. I tried other sizes, to no avail. I ended up driving the truck to my local mechanic, who is thankfully just blocks away, and he had a TP40 and an impact drill which took them out in no time, and he tossed the bit to me so I could finish the job at home. Pays to have a great, nearby mechanic. I had no issues with any of the torx bits on the rest of the job, all standard, all in my tool box and of good quality. (Side NOTE: In lots of videos and comments, people complained that those flat tie downs go back in with only the two prescribed/supplied pieces of tape down, and that it results in a part of the bed color showing through, which is unattractive at best. Knowing this in advance, I supplemented the tape with a small piece of black gorilla duct tape I had, did the trick nicely. )

* I THOUGHT I had an extension that would allow my primarily socket torx to work with my drill gun, but of COURSE when I went to go lay hands on it, it had disappeared into the tool void somewhere. So I was condemned to wrenching most of the screws with a simple socket wrench, which was not a problem except it just added to the TIME the whole thing took, and I lost a good ten pounds in sweat, as I was wrenching in Alabama. I have since purchased a set of torx that will work in my screw gun, so the adapter can stay lost.

The install itself was much simpler than I expected though, primarily by virtue of watching all those videos. I used an angle grinder with a diamond wheel I had sitting around to cut the holes for the bed cubby storage areas, which made for very quick work and a clean line. Every video I watched and the instructions themselves advised a jig saw, but I'm a former metal hobbyist and super comfy with a grinder, so I went that way. I used a 1 and 1/8th" spade bit to cut the holes for the tie downs. Specs call for a step bit to 1 and 1/8th", but mine didn't go that high and I figured the spade bit would work fine and it did, no issues at all, nice clean holes, I took the extra step of beginning the hole on the backside at the marked indentation, and then flipping it over and completing it from the other side, years of habit doing that when working with wood to make a clean cut. In one of the videos I watched I saw someone using a file to clean up the edges of such cuts, but I found a simple blade (box cutter or a good knife) worked well to remove the scraggly pieces after a cut. I took my time and did all the prep work/cutting first.

In videos you learn the bedliner arrives in a box and the big bottom piece is kinda' folded over, and mine was, of course, so I took the precaution of laying it out in my den overnight, with some light weights on it (including a cat) to flatten it out, which did the trick. HOWEVER, no one had mentioned the tailgate piece, so I didn't pay that much attention to it until I went to install it, and realized both ends were bowed up a good bit. If I'd realized it sooner, I'd have weighted it down in advance, to make it lay back, but too late, had to work with those ends, coaxing them down and into shape before the install, but they're still waving at me a bit, (Photo #5) I figure with time and the tailgate closed they'll settle in.

In some of the earliest installs of this unit I saw a lot of people commenting on the back piece, the one nearest the cab that has the Maverick logo on it -- about it not laying exactly flat, and requiring all kinds of creativity to get it to lay flat and adhere. I'm guessing that the manufacturer may have actually adjusted something after those early ones, because mine not only laid flat, it was so flat and tight it was a challenge to perform the last step, which is getting behind it to pull the red tape cover off and adhere it to the bed. (You can see how tight it is against the cab in the last photo, you couldn't even slide a fingernail behind it now).

My ONLY criticism of the product is on the tailgate piece. There are screws holding it down in the section of the tailgate piece closest to you with the tailgate down, but curiously nothing at ALL holding it down in the part closest to the bed, so I anticipate issues with stuff sliding up under there, nothing at all to stop it. A poor design element, in my opinion.

After Ford Pass points and the Ford.com 20% discount, the bedliner cost me $150. Please don't start with the drop in versus spray arguments, I've had drop ins in every truck I've owned across a lifetime, and never a worry or problem, and this one appears to be of better overall quality than any I've had previously. And even an elderly woman can install it! :p

IMG_20230818_125701789_HDR.jpg
IMG_20230820_100402025.jpg
IMG_20230820_100427685.jpg
IMG_20230820_100408060.jpg
IMG_20230820_100413431.jpg
IMG_20230820_101326098.jpg
Good job. Nice post 💪🏼👍🏼

Good username also. I know no one really knows yet but I think these trucks are going to be around a long time. The drivetrains are a slightly modified version of the Toyota licensed hybrid drivetrain which has been tuned and tested over 15 years in Toyotas and escapes. These could very well be many of ours last truck as long as rust or distracted drivers don’t take them.

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great job, kudos!! One question, though. How can a cat help out when they have no thumbs??? Just wondering. :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Last Truck Ever

Last Truck Ever

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Great job, kudos!! One question, though. How can a cat help out when they have no thumbs??? Just wondering. :ROFLMAO:
Doing what a cat does best: laying on things. In this case, on the bottom mat, to flatten it.

Sponsored

flynomore

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 F350, '15 Mazda 6,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice job! Gorilla makes some super sticky double sided tape, I wonder if that would help hold down the bottom of the tailgate piece? Also, our cats usually just lay in the box. It's nice to see a cat actually helping.

Sembazuru

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT Lux Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm a gray-haired woman, and did the work myself, and am right pleased with the results
You remind me of my Mom. About the only requests for help that she asks of me is either computer stuff or, as my father (RIP) would say, "strong back, weak mind" work that really requires 2 people. Thank you to all the women out there, and a big FU to all the people who don't think women can get shit done.

Also, the install looks good. Enjoy your truck. 🤠

Last edited:

A Sturdy Beast

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Lucky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mav XL Hybrid, Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

In videos you learn the bedliner arrives in a box and the big bottom piece is kinda' folded over, and mine was, of course, so I took the precaution of laying it out in my den overnight, with some light weights on it (including a cat) to flatten it out, which did the trick. HOWEVER, no one had mentioned the tailgate piece, so I didn't pay that much attention to it until I went to install it, and realized both ends were bowed up a good bit. If I'd realized it sooner, I'd have weighted it down in advance, to make it lay back, but too late, had to work with those ends, coaxing them down and into shape before the install, but they're still waving at me a bit, (Photo #5) I figure with time and the tailgate closed they'll settle in.

You did better than a pro job! You know why? Nobody on this earth cares more about your truck than you do. A pro has skill, tools, and experience, but he (or she) just wants to get on to the next job and make his pay.

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice job! Gorilla makes some super sticky double sided tape, I wonder if that would help hold down the bottom of the tailgate piece? Also, our cats usually just lay in the box. It's nice to see a cat actually helping.
I just had my tailgate liner off a couple of hours ago (as I investigated how to mount secondary lights for towing). You are right, after 5 months, there was a lot of dust that worked its way up there, but nothing else. I'd consider double-sided tape once I figure out the final solution for the light mounting and stop taking it apart.

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

GREAT Job, especially with the cutouts...and super documentation! Bravo!
Sponsored