First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maveriak Lariat, 2021 Mach e
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Today upon going through a drive up, all of a sudden the engine/transmission started making a loud clanking rattling noise. I thought the transmission was going to fall apart any moment. It sounded like loose plastic gears rattling around. I put the Maverick in neutral and the noise went away. Upon leaving I put it in gear and it was fine, no noise. I have 5700 miles on the truck. Previously I owed a 2014 Ford CMax hybrid. I put 87000. miles on it with no problems at all. It was much quieter. Any recalls on the transmission?
Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Today upon going through a drive up, all of a sudden the engine/transmission started making a loud clanking rattling noise. I thought the transmission was going to fall apart any moment. It sounded like loose plastic gears rattling around. I put the Maverick in neutral and the noise went away. Upon leaving I put it in gear and it was fine, no noise. I have 5700 miles on the truck. Previously I owed a 2014 Ford CMax hybrid. I put 87000. miles on it with no problems at all. It was much quieter. Any recalls on the transmission?
Not a "recall" but it's an issue known to happen to at least a dozen members on here. If you post a sound recording (video with sound for example) myself or one of those dozen people can confirm what it is, assuming you don't have a unique case.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
Undecided
Can you please send over a message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer? I would like to take a closer look at your engine noise concerns on my end!

DanielRSA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick 2022 hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've also had some of those funny noises 2 times. Mentioned it with a service but i don't think they even looked at it.

Pikey87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah, the engine shutoff can be pretty clunky on my XL. Most of the time it's just annoying, but every now and then it'll be very clunky to the point I can feel it in the brake pedal. I've just accepted it as a quirk for a hastily and cheaply made new model from Ford.

Sponsored

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

There are normal noises and not normal noises. Only way to know the difference is to record it and post here.

The people on this site will know about the differences in noises. Your dealer / shop will not know.

cdetdi

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here is my video. This happens when at idle where every 10-15 seconds there is a clunking noise coming from the transmission area. This noise also happens more loudly at shut down and start up. Also happens when driving while the engine is turning off.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Here is my video. This happens when at idle where every 10-15 seconds there is a clunking noise coming from the transmission area. This noise also happens more loudly at shut down and start up. Also happens when driving while the engine is turning off.

Sounds like the engine/transmission damper.

it's covered by warranty. But it's about a 3 day job, and it took about 4 weeks for my dealer to get all the parts.

There's been a few dozen cases of this sound reported on these blogs.

FWIW it does not seem urgent to fix. So you can schedule to be without your truck at a convenient time for you.

I reported this issue to my dealer at 4,xxx miles. They told me to keep driving it. I reported it a second time. They changed it out at 8,xxx miles.
Sponsored