PapaDave

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 VBlue & XLT hybrid A51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
$3.81 gallon here in Seattle. I have changed my order 4 times already. Part of me says get the AWD and the other says, if gas keeps going up you will be glad you got the hybrid. We put ~7,000 miles a year.
Sponsored

vezpa

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
EMG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too many to list.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Just mpo, but 26mpg is cr@p. Oh sure, it's okay compared other trucks.... But trucks just get terrible mileage. I hear that for my F150 to get 18-19 mpg's is really good... But it doesn't feel that way when I'm putting $100 in it, to fill it. My old Toyota Tacoma used to get about 22... That was lousy too.

Great mileage is 53 mpg, like in my Prius. I'm okay with 40 mpg in a little truck though.

You live in communist California where gas is already probably $6/gallon. Deepest sympathies.

Pairof98s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ram 1500, 2020 4Runner
I'm in this boat.
I'd take an AWD hybrid with 2k towing if it was available but because it's not I prefer AWD ecoboost with 4k towing.
I ordered the 2.0 AWD FX4 with 4K tow because I want capability. If I like it well enough, it could replace my Ram 1500 in the garage and significantly cut my fuel consumption. When I get the Hemi pushing 35ā€ tires on the highway, our 80mph speed limit and a few hills will bring the average down to 12mpg, and less if pulling my single axle trailer with a couple of ATVs. 26mpg sounds great to me and with the AWD I can still get in and out of deep sand or mud.

My son in law ordered the XL hybrid and that fits his needs and budget. Iā€™ll have a direct comparison between the 2 very different drivetrains. Iā€™ve gotten 39.6mpg in Honda Accord and Toyota Camry rental cars, and did 32mpg in a 5.7 Hemi Charger rental. Surely the Mav can do 30 with a light foot!

TheBear

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
$3.81 gallon here in Seattle. I have changed my order 4 times already. Part of me says get the AWD and the other says, if gas keeps going up you will be glad you got the hybrid. We put ~7,000 miles a year.
King County here, I went with AWD simply because our other vehicle is a FWD and the thought of not being able to get anywhere, even with winter tires made me pass on the hybrid. If we had another AWD or 4x4 vehicle, Iā€™d have gone hybrid purely for the gas mileage because itā€™s not getting any cheaper. If you want to get anywhere in the winter after snowfall or ice in the PNW, Iā€™m of the camp that good winter tires or 3 peaks and AWD/4x4 is necessary for going more than a couple miles. We have too many hills and our infrastructure canā€™t handle more than an inch of snow. I travel out to Lake Stevens, Darrington, etc enough that the peace of mind of AWD was worth the extra cost. But Iā€™d love 40mpgs! It was a tough decision for me.

PapaDave

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX4 VBlue & XLT hybrid A51
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
King County here, I went with AWD simply because our other vehicle is a FWD and the thought of not being able to get anywhere, even with winter tires made me pass on the hybrid. If we had another AWD or 4x4 vehicle, Iā€™d have gone hybrid purely for the gas mileage because itā€™s not getting any cheaper. If you want to get anywhere in the winter after snowfall or ice in the PNW, Iā€™m of the camp that good winter tires or 3 peaks and AWD/4x4 is necessary for going more than a couple miles. We have too many hills and our infrastructure canā€™t handle more than an inch of snow. I travel out to Lake Stevens, Darrington, etc enough that the peace of mind of AWD was worth the extra cost. But Iā€™d love 40mpgs! It was a tough decision for me.
Ok, if I don't get scheduled in the next couple days I will switch to AWD w FX4, maybe Sun or Monday.

Sponsored

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Seattle here as well. 87 is like $3.45 at Costco right now and likely what I'll run on my EB AWD. I will only have one vehicle and want something to do some exploring in up in the mountains.

jimmy fitzwell

First Name
jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 pinto wagon, 67 olds 98
Ok, if I don't get scheduled in the next couple days I will switch to AWD w FX4, maybe Sun or Monday.
Stick with FWD and stay home on snow days. My experience in Seattle was nobody knew how to drive anything in snow anyway. I like to watch the "Seattle Idiots On Snow" U-Tube vids for a good laugh.
I'm not saying you're one, but the metro drivers sure are. :)

OP
OP

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
Nobody knows what the mileage will be yet. Plus, you're comparing apples to oranges with a diesel engine, big difference, plus the diesel costs more upfront.
I wouldn't hold that against him. To me, it's just about comparing cost per mile, which is apples to apples. Pretty much like comparing an eco boost to a hybrid. We are still comparing cost per mile.
Now, if you want to compare what the vehicle can do "at that cost per mile" that big diesel of his is even more impressive. Granted, his big diesel is going to cost a lot more up front than a Maverick.
I know there are plenty of other things one can compare.
Again, just to reiterate, I do like the additional power and towing of the Ecoboost. Just feel like it should get closer to 30 mpg's.

OP
OP

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
Comparing a Prius to a truck, go away.
Why is that ? The 2.5L Hybrid Maverick is not too far behind my Prius. In fact, for a truck, even a mini truck, I'm pretty impressed. Enough so that I'll probably buy one.

OP
OP

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
You live in communist California where gas is already probably $6/gallon. Deepest sympathies.

Well I got gas yesterday at Sam's club for $3.82.... but yea, we do have the worst state government šŸ˜Ÿ Which is such a shame for our beautiful state.
But don't blame me, I've spent a lot of time in the last year pounding the pavement for the recall Newsom movement.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
Sure, weather is a consideration too. For us, it's a BIG consideration, when considering where we might like to move to. Definitely not where there is any snow or ice šŸ™‚We are hot, dry weather people. Arizona is looking pretty nice šŸ˜‰

OP
OP

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
I mean, we're comparing it to other trucks because it's kind of, you know, a truck (albeit, not fully).
I did too... Like I say, my Tacoma used to get about 22mpg, which was lousy. So the Maverick with Ecoboost might get a few extra miles per gallon, with maybe a little more horsepower. Which is just not saying very much..... But it really is about what I'd expect from an ICE mini truck.

OP
OP

Fish Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius LE, Ford F150
Aerodynamics are a huge factor in fuel mileage. To reduce the drag of a pickup you have to turn it into something that isn't a pickup.
The Hybrid Maverick, which gets 40 mpg is shaped exactly like the Maverick with Ecoboost.....

ArizonaLouie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Passat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Amen, aerodynamics. Not to mention heavier, rolling resistance etc. Trucks and cars are apples to oranges.
26 mpg is real respectable for a truck. Yes, truck. Just because its cute, it still cuts the air like a truck.

Last edited:

ArizonaLouie

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Passat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The Hybrid Maverick, which gets 40 mpg is shaped exactly like the Maverick with Ecoboost.....
And the hybrid can trailer 4000 lbs, and has the same passing power as Ecoboost? You need power for that. Power costs fuel economy. Power is something the Hybrid version doesnt have. It all depends on what the intended use will be.
Sponsored