Sponsored

Driving on snow & ice Maverick FX4 AWD vs Hybrid FWD

xncrman

I have now had the opportunity to compare my Maverick FX4 AWD driving on snow and ice and now compared it to my Maverick Lariat Hybrid FWD. I am quite surprised the FWD is nearly as sure footed accelerating and braking as the AWD was. Even with factory tires the Hybrid CVT is much better than any other FWD vehicles I have owned. My geared transmission vehicles would tend to spin tires quicker and would break loose again when shifting on ice, not the CVT transmission. I wondered if I would miss the AWD living in Michigan snow country but I can honestly say I will not. I am sure it will be even better once I put premium tires on it. Only thing I will miss is going on some sandy two track roads during the summer. Not done without 4x4 in our soft sand here. Hope this feedback helps those one the fence regarding AWD and FWD. They are both good on a Maverick..
Sponsored

NoVaJimmy

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lexus GX 460
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I spent many winters close to the Canadian border with nothing but FWD or RWD and never had a problem because I always ran good dedicated snow tires. That being said, if you have the Pirelli Scorpions on your FX4 I haven't read anything good at all about their performance in rain or cold/snowy conditions so they are probably hindering the performance of your AWD Maverick.

Last edited:

KSC Grey Ghost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yes agree with you 100% 👍 When the ice and snow storms hit us a couple of times this year My Maverick Hybrid went all over the place in it .☃❄🥶. It took me up hills, down hills and over the bridge to town . It took me everywhere I wanted and needed to go. !!!🗻
Ford Maverick Driving on snow & ice Maverick FX4 AWD vs Hybrid FWD IMG_20230131_151159707_HDR
Ford Maverick Driving on snow & ice Maverick FX4 AWD vs Hybrid FWD IMG_20230131_151224628_HDR
Ford Maverick Driving on snow & ice Maverick FX4 AWD vs Hybrid FWD IMG_20230131_150932437_HDR

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I am quite surprised the FWD is nearly as sure footed accelerating and braking as the AWD was.
AWD has nothing with braking, so there shouldn't be much different at all other than hybrid system vs the fully traditional system.

JG307

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
AWD has nothing with braking, so there shouldn't be much different at all other than hybrid system vs the fully traditional system.
I figured it would?? The ECVT accomplishes a lot of the hybrid breaking...

Sponsored

icegradner

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I figured it would?? The ECVT accomplishes a lot of the hybrid breaking...
My point, which I guess wasn't clear, is that AWD systems are only for sending power to the wheels, and has nothing to do with stopping. Both vehicles have good old fashion pads, rotors and calipers. The only different is the the eCVT does some of the work, reducing wear on the pads/rotors.

Ford Maverick Maniac

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 XLTs: hybrid alto blue & turbo AWD carb gray.
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In the mostly flat midwest, FWD is fine in the snow. In the Sierras, Wasatch, or the Rockies, with no AWD you will get front wheel spin on big inclines and be forced to stop at chain control even with snow tires.

Here is my video driving up steep streets in Park City on the stock Continental tires and stopping at the steepest spot with no problem.

Puckitup27

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick XLT Lux, FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It's nice to hear the FWD version does well in the snow but I mainly bought mine for beach driving on Long Island so I definitely needed the FX4 AWD. Right now I use my AWD Escape and it does great..I would be a little concerned in deep sand only using FWD.
Sponsored