Sponsored

Does your Hybrid Maverick engine revs up real high on down hill rides!?

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Something doesn't make sense The OP said he put it into neutral with no effect. WTF. How is that possible? It cant spin the engine if there is no connection from the tires on the ground and the engine itself. Regen braking also is disabled in Neutral.

My hybrid doesn't spin the engine higher I guess because my High voltage battery is not charged all the way and it does regen braking. I sometime hit the L button so it slows the Mav even more. I do this one section where there is a stop at bottom of hill. I hit L button and it can almost stop the car for me. .No engine spin up at all.
Do it a few more times and eventually it will. It will if you are in L and your battery is full.
Sponsored

MaverickEVwouldBeNice

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Earth - Northern Hemisphere - North America - USA
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mav Hyb/lux
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My 2023 Hybrid's engine makes loud sound (high RPM) when driving on down hill roads!! The charging Dial drops into the middle of the Green charging Zone but the ICE engine sounds like revving up very high! I shifted the car from Drive to Neutral but the revving sound did not go away!
I am not sure if this is related to any of the recalls!!

The behavior sounds like a stuck fuel gauge that pushed the engine into high RPM. I am going to put a OBD reader on the car to see if there are any errors. Will report it under this heading, but would love to know if this has happens to any other Hybrid Maverick.

Thanks.
I've had something very similar happen to me a couple of times during my road trip (900 miles roundtrip) to Vancouver BC and back last weekend. It was very noticeable when I was in cruise control going downhill. The engine revved very high, and the vehicle kept getting faster, despite the cruise being on. I had to get out of CC and maintain speed manually. Vehicle just went over 2400 miles yesterday.

realshelby

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT 500, 1965 Mustang GT,
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Huh? With any fuel injected vehicle, the injectors shut off with closed throttle and coasting. If they didn’t the engine would flood and possibly hydro lock. Leave it in D and decel using engine braking
Actually the injectors don't shut "off" when throttle is closed. How would the engine run at idle if they did? There are reasons the engineers want the injectors pulsing ( similar to what they do at idle) when throttle is closed going down hills. From keeping catalytic converters hot to keeping engine smooth when going back into the throttle, to eliminating a sudden braking event when injectors don't pulse ( a real issue on slick roads). Going down steep hills....can result in the injectors cycling to full off under certain conditions. Usually after several seconds and when the ECU senses engine braking is needed.
There is absolutely no danger the injectors will flood an engine and cause damage. There is enough air moving through the engine ( throttle blade is never sealed tight as there has to be idle air and the IAC valve also bypasses air) so that could not happen. Spark happens regardless and what fuel the ECU is allowing will ignite as it normally would.

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
My 2023 Hybrid's engine makes loud sound (high RPM) when driving on down hill roads!! The charging Dial drops into the middle of the Green charging Zone but the ICE engine sounds like revving up very high! I shifted the car from Drive to Neutral but the revving sound did not go away!
I am not sure if this is related to any of the recalls!!

The behavior sounds like a stuck fuel gauge that pushed the engine into high RPM. I am going to put a OBD reader on the car to see if there are any errors. Will report it under this heading, but would love to know if this has happens to any other Hybrid Maverick.

Thanks.
My hybrid doesn't do that. I suggest you take it to your dealership. It sounds like your idle is getting stuck. May have to lubricate it or it needs adjusting. Good luck.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My hybrid doesn't do that. I suggest you take it to your dealership. It sounds like your idle is getting stuck. May have to lubricate it or it needs adjusting. Good luck.
Again, it is following programming that is normal for a hybrid. Odd to you if this is your first hybrid with an eCVT but this is normal for this style of vehicle.

Sponsored

Ozarkbeard

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 XL CP360
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I’ve been wondering about that because I put mine in neutral going down every hill. Increases gas mileage but not sure how that effects the battery being charged.
It stops regen, so the battery isn't charging. It also significantly increases brake pad wear. If you'll let the vehicle operate as designed, you won't waste regen and your brake pads may last over 100k miles, and possibly 200k.
If you want to temporarily increase coasting, reduce regeneration by hitting the go pedal.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Actually the injectors don't shut "off" when throttle is closed. How would the engine run at idle if they did? There are reasons the engineers want the injectors pulsing ( similar to what they do at idle) when throttle is closed going down hills. From keeping catalytic converters hot to keeping engine smooth when going back into the throttle, to eliminating a sudden braking event when injectors don't pulse ( a real issue on slick roads). Going down steep hills....can result in the injectors cycling to full off under certain conditions. Usually after several seconds and when the ECU senses engine braking is needed.
There is absolutely no danger the injectors will flood an engine and cause damage. There is enough air moving through the engine ( throttle blade is never sealed tight as there has to be idle air and the IAC valve also bypasses air) so that could not happen. Spark happens regardless and what fuel the ECU is allowing will ignite as it normally would.
No. Just no.

Take it from someone who studies hybrid systems over the past 23 years.

The injectors 100% shut off and can stay off for minutes on end while you are coasting down long hills. The engine and catalytic converter do cool down, sometimes quite dramatically during this time based on ambient conditions.

In a hybrid, there is not "idle" time. The whole point. The engine stops rotating in some cases. The engine is spun WITHOUT FUEL by the generator/starter under other conditions.

The "smooth transition" is also handled by the generator, not gasoline.

Spark does not happen "regardless".

Welcome to the 21st century.

Thundercougarfalconbird

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

No. Just no.

Take it from someone who studies hybrid systems over the past 23 years.

The injectors 100% shut off and can stay off for minutes on end while you are coasting down long hills. The engine and catalytic converter do cool down, sometimes quite dramatically during this time based on ambient conditions.

In a hybrid, there is not "idle" time. The whole point. The engine stops rotating in some cases. The engine is spun WITHOUT FUEL by the generator/starter under other conditions.

The "smooth transition" is also handled by the generator, not gasoline.

Spark does not happen "regardless".

Welcome to the 21st century.
Used in non-hybrids across several brands too, under the label Deceleration Fuel Cut Off (DFCO). My 2015 Cruze will cut off fuel a couple seconds into coasting as long as I am above ~1500rpm and fuel only kicks back on around 1200 RPM or any touch of the accelerator.

At highway speeds, that's typically in 5th or 6th gear with little resistance, so the car coasts for quite some time. At lower gears, it's the same principal and RPM cutoffs, but used more for engine braking. Mine is a manual, so I can get much more control over what gear to be in to maximize when I want to coast (especially when I can account for hills ahead), whereas the automatics may downshift to maximize braking over coasting when you don't want it.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yes. I wanted to say most modern vehicles (hybrid or not) have a fuel cut off mode, but didn't mention it above.

Thundercougarfalconbird

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Hybrid Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Yes. I wanted to say most modern vehicles (hybrid or not) have a fuel cut off mode, but didn't mention it above.
Yeah, I'm sure the EB does it to, but may be less noticable with 8 speeds able to choose an apprproiate RPM range and the engine always on anyways.

Sponsored

Scott Asheville

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 AWD XLT ECO LUX CP360 HPR
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This thread caught my attention because my EB does the same thing. The transmission sometimes has a mind of its own. It's really noticeable at times, but I understand there's a bunch of obscure control logic in there.

sibrcode

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I've driven two different Toyota hybrids, and they both do this as well.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I've driven two different Toyota hybrids, and they both do this as well.
Same.
Rav4 and Venza behave the same.
Also Escape Hybrid behaves the same.

TheSEARCH

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Well what do you know on steep downhill it finally did rev engine a little bit. If I had radio on I never would have noticed. No big deal.

GPSMan

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Well what do you know on steep downhill it finally did rev engine a little bit. If I had radio on I never would have noticed. No big deal.
There are varying degrees.

like mild 2500 rpm (your case)
medium 3500 rpm
strong 4500 rpm

etc.
Sponsored