Sponsored

Does changing the stock rims void any type of warranty?

DecidedlySo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was telling a coworker about how I placed an order for an XL and how I would eventually like to swap out the stock steel wheels for something a little more sharp looking. He said to be careful as doing so might void a warranty. Before I go down the rabbit hole looking for info I figured I'd check with the fine people here. So does anyone know if that's the case or not?

Thanks,
Sponsored

daddio211

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot rods, Jeeps, boats
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hahahhahahah! Your co-worker is an idiot.

Of course you can't expect Ford to warranty your aftermarket wheels, but that doesn't void the warranty on anything else, either.

You can replace any part of your vehicle you wish, and unless the manufacturer can absolutely undeniably tie it to making another part fail they will cover it. You may have to fight with them, but you'll be in the right.

Saul T Knutz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Crown Victoria
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not an expert, but it would depend on what kind of wheels and tires you get, and what your warranty issue would be (should one happen). Same size T&W you'd probably be fine. Adding 22s and having a problem with your drivetrain, dice roll depending on your dealership. You can always ask the service department and try to get it in writing to help cover yourself. Have you considered just painting the steelies and adding trim rings, I've seen a few pictures and they look pretty cool imo...

Axlesup

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85K10
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
no there are laws in place to protect you.

within reason anyway. i mean if you put some crazy wide or offset wheels on that caused the wheel bearings or suspension components to break then yea they could deny a claim. same thing for hub centric or non hub centric wheels etc....

just make sure they are the correct wheels for your vehicle in a reasonable size. hopefully once i get my XL there will be factory take offs available from people who "upgraded" their stock wheels.

OP
OP
DecidedlySo

DecidedlySo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not an expert, but it would depend on what kind of wheels and tires you get, and what your warranty issue would be (should one happen). Same size T&W you'd probably be fine. Adding 22s and having a problem with your drivetrain, dice roll depending on your dealership. You can always ask the service department and try to get it in writing to help cover yourself. Have you considered just painting the steelies and adding trim rings, I've seen a few pictures and they look pretty cool imo...
It's a possibility. However the added bonus I might attempt is having the stock tires switched to the new rims and eventually I could get a set of winter tires put on the steelies. So when winter rolls in I swap them out, saving the condition of the new rims and giving me added traction in the snow. Just something i'm considering

Sponsored

Snax

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As long as Ford can't make a reasonable claim that the new rims caused some sort of damage, your warranty will be fine. Of course, it won't cover the new rims.

Saul T Knutz

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Crown Victoria
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It's a possibility. However the added bonus I might attempt is having the stock tires switched to the new rims and eventually I could get a set of winter tires put on the steelies. So when winter rolls in I swap them out, saving the condition of the new rims and giving me added traction in the snow. Just something i'm considering

An excellent idea which preserves the new rims from salt & rust. As more Mavs and Bronco Sports get delivered, the more takeoffs that will be available too (if that was a style of wheel you were considering)

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 Silverado , 07 mustang, 69 barracuda
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Keep your OEM tires and rims as spares stacked up in the corner of your garage. This way you can put them back on if theres a warranty issue connected to the drivetrain, brakes, or suspension.

The XLT I bought has 17" rims. I wanted 18"x8" rims, and wider tires. I figured out the outer diameter of the 17" tire, and specced my tires for the 18" rims to be the same diameter so there would be no issues with speedometer being off etc. I used 255-55R18 tires. Same outer diameter as the stock 17" continentals, about 1.75" wider contact patch. 35mm offset so they dont stick out.

Cant wait to put them on the truck. Its sitting at the dealer waiting on them to do a recall or I'd have a pic with them mounted on it already.

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Heres an OEM 19" rim in an escape titanium I saw in a parking lot the other day.

Ford Maverick Does changing the stock rims void any type of warranty? 20221012_165336

OP
OP
DecidedlySo

DecidedlySo

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Keep your OEM tires and rims as spares stacked up in the corner of your garage. This way you can put them back on if theres a warranty issue connected to the drivetrain, brakes, or suspension.

The XLT I bought has 17" rims. I wanted 18"x8" rims, and wider tires. I figured out the outer diameter of the 17" tire, and specced my tires for the 18" rims to be the same diameter so there would be no issues with speedometer being off etc. I used 255-55R18 tires. Same outer diameter as the stock 17" continentals, about 1.75" wider contact patch. 35mm offset so they dont stick out.

Cant wait to put them on the truck. Its sitting at the dealer waiting on them to do a recall or I'd have a pic with them mounted on it already.
I’m considering trying to put the OEM tires on the new rims and tossing winter tires on the OEM wheels so I can preserve the new rims for the better months of the year.

Sponsored

Barracuda340

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I’m considering trying to put the OEM tires on the new rims and tossing winter tires on the OEM wheels so I can preserve the new rims for the better months of the year.
The OEM Continentals suck ass. This is why they are a factory tire. The cheapest thing they can buy in bulk that will fit the most rims. XL and XLT have the same sized rim, therefore the same tire even on the AWD models unless it's an FX4.

Buy better tires in the width to fit the rims you want from tireseasy.com or simpletire.com pick up a set of ford tire pressure sensors that are 315mhz and appropriate valve stems. And have a tire shop mount and balance them. Leave the crappy contis, and steelies for winter.

Then it's just a rim swap, and a sensor flash with a $15 reflash tool. In about 30 minutes in your driveway every spring and fall.

BackFromTheDead

Banned
Banned
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered XLT Tremor
Hahahhahahah! Your co-worker is an idiot.

Of course you can't expect Ford to warranty your aftermarket wheels, but that doesn't void the warranty on anything else, either.

You can replace any part of your vehicle you wish, and unless the manufacturer can absolutely undeniably tie it to making another part fail they will cover it. You may have to fight with them, but you'll be in the right.
This is the correct answer.

jsus

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD 😉
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No. See also: Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

Modifications or repairs not performed by the manufacturer or its authorized service centers cannot invalidate the warranty, except in so much as said work can be shown/argued to be directly responsible for the defect.

An aftermarket wheel cannot invalidate the warranty on your headlights, for instance. If the wheel or its installation causes any damage, say, to suspension components, that damage is not covered.
Sponsored