Do I keep my Maverick?

FakeCowboy

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru WRX
Personally I'd keep the CRV and flip the Maverick, it has all the right options for an XL and I'm willing to be that even after taxes, fees etc you could still walk away with close to $5k. People are paying almost $35k for a used XL AWD that doesn't even have CP360 or 4K, just look on the Carvana and Carmax sites
Sponsored

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here are some numbers to consider. These are complete spit balls estimates. Perhaps change it around to factor in common 05 CRV issues.

$8,000 - present day value of Honda CRV
$2,500 - estimated repairs over 7 years on Honda CR-V
$5,000 - estimated depreciations over 7 years
Total cost $7,500

$25,000 - estimated cost of Ford Maverick
$1,000 - estimated repairs over 7 years
$13,000 - estimated depreciation over 7 years
Total cost $14,000

What would rather drive for 7 years? Is it worth the extra $1k a year to have a truck?

Aza

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Anyone suggesting that the Maverick in this case might be financially prudent is.. well, mistaken. The smart thing financially is to keep the CR-V. Even if it needs repairs, it won't need $20k in repairs.

Then again, how concerned are you about safety? I handle my parent's car purchases and last April, my dad's requirements in hand, I picked out a 2021 Kia Forte GT 6-speed for him. 5 days ago he had an accident involving a 75mph multiple rollover. 3 cracked ribs from seatbelt were his only injuries. Car was destroyed. An older car would certainly not have held up nearly as well.

tempImageIXuoW5.jpg
Glad to hear he had minimal injuries! So sorry it happened.

OP
OP

GraeyTom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q5 hybrid, jzx90, Maverick
The economically sensible thing to do would be to buy the Maverick and flip it, while keeping the CR-V. But where's the fun in that?
I think thatā€™s the part of it that gets me the most. I feel I SHOULD go for economically sensible.

OP
OP

GraeyTom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m one of the ā€œIā€™ve always wanted a truck but most trucks are absurdly oversizedā€

either way I would pay cash for the Maverick. So a payment is not in the cards either way.

Sponsored

OP
OP

GraeyTom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can't tell you what to do, or what is best for you. I can only tell you what my personal preference is and rationing behind it. In my opinion, I love having the peace of mind of driving a brand new vehicle with a full warranty and new technology, rather than a vehicle with over 100K miles and 17 years old. I can tell you that I have an XL hybrid Maverick, and I absolutely love it! It's lives up to all the hype and anticipation!! You won't be disappointed! If it were me, if you paid cash for the CR-V, I'd still keep it, and take delivery of the Maverick. I'd use the CR-V for a second vehicle. I'm sure you could find a good use for it. But, that is me. You have to make up your own mind what you think is right for you.
Part of me wants to keep it as ā€œdog carā€ however I also have a right hand drive car and my wifeā€™s car and my wife is not okay with 4 cars šŸ˜‚.
I think Iā€™m going to buy the maverick regardless and see if I enjoy it as much as I did when I first drove it and go from there.
Iā€™m also 6ā€™7 so fitting is a big deal and the CRV barely fits.

OP
OP

GraeyTom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My decision would be only hard if buying the CRV needed a mortgage with interest because did not buy it for cash. Then the drill would be: Can I sell it or trade it without being upside down (raising the loan needs on the new Mav)

I ordered the Maverick as a Custom New vehicle that fills Many needs at a price I was happy with.

Basically what you do should be based on WHY exactly did you build and order a 2022 Maverick Truck.

While good and historically reliable, the 2005 144K CRV IS already 17 years old..... just a casual observation
For me it was wanting the practicality of a truck without to stupid cost and size and gas mileage of the current market trucks. So this was perfect. Iā€™m in a band and play drums so itā€™s perfect for that too

OP
OP

GraeyTom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why ask this on a forum? only one person, and one person alone can answer this question. You.
I want to see peoples perspective and I feel like the ā€œyou canā€™t have thisā€ aspect of the maverick may be clouding my judgement making me want it more perhaps?
Hard to see things when you are in the middle of it.

OP
OP

GraeyTom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IMO, modern stability/traction control is worth every last penny.

Was going through the mountains in I-70 in my 2013 CX-5. It was below freezing but I had seen nothing but clear roads for miles when all of a sudden out of nowhere I came to a bridge with a patch of ice that seemed to stretch at least 100 yards. Hit that sucker going 80mph and was terrified until the traction control kicked in and did it's thing. Kept things going straight and no doubt saved my bacon.

Ever since that experience I've been a believer that new = better.
I live in Las Vegas. Winter does not exist here. šŸ˜‚

YOBY

First Name
Yoby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RAV 4 / 2022 Maverick Lariat
I live in Las Vegas. Winter does not exist here. šŸ˜‚
You have nothing to lose if you take your total out of pocket expenses and add $10k to that and advertise on something like CarGurus and see if some tired of waiting guy/gal wants it bad enough. That gives you $10k for repairs on your CRV.

Sponsored

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not sure what to do. After my ā€œyour car is here oh wait no itā€™s notā€ fiasco at the end of Feb. followed by my build date getting pushed the June and then disappearing I bought a cheap reliably daily driver.
A 2005 Honda CRV for $7k 144k miles. Checks all of my ā€œneedā€ boxes and for $20k less than my Maverick.
Surprise that RIGHT as I buy the CRV my truck shows ā€œbuiltā€ and on its way to the dealer.
Itā€™s a carbonized metallic XL 4wd tow package CP360 car.
do I keep the CRV and get the maverick? Or save $20k and drive the CRV?
Iā€™m a 1 car a year type of guy but trying to be economically sensible at this point of my life.
If not for the fun of trying to see how much I can drive in electric only mode, regenerative braking score, and mpg estimates, Iā€™d really be missing my manual transmission honda.
Seeing how you have an ecoboost coming in, your driving experience wonā€™t be as drastic of a night/day difference from the CR-V. So if you donā€™t need a bed, you might actually have more fun continuing to change out cars every year rather than hold on to a base maverick for 5 years.

SkeeterB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat Lux, 4K, FX4, 360, Velocity Blue
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You WANTED the Mav, bought a stop gap. Life is too short to play games. Sell or trade the Honda and buy the truck you wanted. My $.02.

Redneck Garage

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.theredneckgarage.com
Vehicle(s)
10 Wrangler 22 Lexus 22 Maverick 23 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

For me it was wanting the practicality of a truck without to stupid cost and size and gas mileage of the current market trucks. So this was perfect. Iā€™m in a band and play drums so itā€™s perfect for that too
In the end you will have to decide. Getting different opinions is fine however no one is in your exact situation or knows where you are in life. Financial decisions are easy if you won the lottery and harder if you are on a budget. You "could" drive that Honda a few more years and then buy a used Maverick - these crazy inflated prices wont last forever and in a few years when they release a full electric Maverick the hybrid will probably be eclipsed by that. I have 2 Jeep Wranglers a Toyota pickup, a service van, A Lexus UX 250 H , A Nissan NV 200 and Im still wanting to buy a Maverick. Should I sell something before getting a Maverick - ? My wife thinks so hahahahaha

OP
OP

GraeyTom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It just came in. Bought it and paid cash. So as I wait for the title I will make the decision.
First drive I really like it but idk if thatā€™s the novelty of a new vehicle.
Very spacious cabin and Iā€™m 6ā€™7
Sponsored