First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL (EB, AWD, Towing)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I haul mountain bikes in my Maverick a lot, and had the idea that a retractable cable lock would be a nice thing to have. No one makes a bolt in solution so I came up with this cheap solution that uses a 3d printed grommet in one of the existing holes and one of these cable locks: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0031XXWIU?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details.

Ford Maverick DIY Retractable Cable Lock for Maverick bed PXL_20230904_191449366
Ford Maverick DIY Retractable Cable Lock for Maverick bed PXL_20230904_191504848
Ford Maverick DIY Retractable Cable Lock for Maverick bed PXL_20230904_190410084
Ford Maverick DIY Retractable Cable Lock for Maverick bed PXL_20230904_190354574

Details and 3d models on thingiverse.

If you don't have a 3d printer I'm sure you could come up with another solution for trimming out this hole.
Sponsored

The Cyber Orange Guy.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Devu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick cyber orange
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great idea, I have a kryptonite cable on the back of the real seat, but this one idwa would help me to be more efficient (lazy), and I'm all about of getting more done with less work. I think gonna steal your idea but using the cable that I have, the question is now. How I fit the cable truh that lil hole ? Gonna take a screenshot of your idea and one of this week's gonna see how it goes.

Reactions: pbz
OP
OP
pbz

pbz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Great idea, I have a kryptonite cable on the back of the real seat, but this one idwa would help me to be more efficient (lazy), and I'm all about of getting more done with less work. I think gonna steal your idea but using the cable that I have, the question is now. How I fit the cable truh that lil hole ? Gonna take a screenshot of your idea and one of this week's gonna see how it goes.
That's what's perfect about this particular lock, since it has a loop on one end which can be looped over the striker for the tailgate (if that wasn't already clear), but the other end has a crimp, that's only slightly bigger in diameter than the cable that locks into the body of the lock, which let's you thread it through the hole and then lock it in place.

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Last edited:

Sponsored

Jakb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just do this loop with the plywood latch bar. Hooks right around the frame and as long as the tailgate stays locked, it's secure.

Ford Maverick DIY Retractable Cable Lock for Maverick bed 1000004556

I also have longer cable which allows you to go all the way across.

mdub311

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Lariat Tremor Avalanche Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I’d love to see a demo video of this in action!

colinl

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Colin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Maverick Lariat AWD, '22 Bronco OBX 2-Door
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I just do this loop with the plywood latch bar. Hooks right around the frame and as long as the tailgate stays locked, it's secure.

1000004556.jpg

I also have longer cable which allows you to go all the way across.
yep, that's the thing that interests me with the OP's retractable cable solution. there's a lot of extra if you have a cable long enough for 3-4 bikes (whatever you think would be your max) and then only have one (which is what I have most of the time).

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Brilliant!
I haul my bike in the open bed but lock through the bed hook because I just think about if I have to stop somewhere don't want someone snatching the bike and running off with it. Won't keep someone from unbolting the bed hook if they really wanted to- but a little bit of security.

I like this idea because it's always there if you need it but out of the way when you don't.

Reactions: pbz
OP
OP
pbz

pbz

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I was thoroughly confused until looking at the below video (at about 4:30 seconds on video) , The cable goes all the way thru the locking mechanism. You loop the cable around what is being secured then back thru the lock. Ordered one - thanks for link.

https://www.google.com/search?sca_e...#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:dd18bbc3,vid:Jox7eY1shNk
It can but I'm not actually using that function. The lock body has two places it can connect to the cable. One hole you can pass the cable through and then the actual lock that latches onto a ferrule on one end of the cable. I passed the ferrule through the hole in the bedside and then attached the lock so it can't be pulled through. I use the through-hole in the lock body to cable tie it to a bracket inside the bed so it doesn't bang around. I'll try to make a vid later to make this all clearer.

Sponsored

MrJO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

That's pretty awesome!
I use something more simple and a bit easier to cut, but I figured that either way they need heavy duty cutters (not the average wire cutters) to cut through it that if they really want it they get it no matter what.

Ford Maverick DIY Retractable Cable Lock for Maverick bed BikeTie.JPG

Thanks for sharing!
Sponsored