Sponsored

Digital (LCD) Rearview Mirror (Wolfbox G900 front and rear dash cams) installed - photos & review

OP
OP
AUTiger83

AUTiger83

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ecoboost Lariat, FX4, 4k Tow, Azure Gray.
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Is it possible to install the rear camera inside the truck on the back window itself? I do not have a spoiler, so nothing to protect it from being broken off.
Go back to page one. You'll see an inside mount window bracket in one of the posts.
Sponsored

tom_tucker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I didn't video myself doing the installation. Just the photos in the original post. Sorry.

The back camera install was just pulling the third brake light, and sticking the metal bracket onto the paint, so it is mostly covered by the foam gasket. The wire runs next to it under the foam gasket. The gasket is thick enough that it seems to seal well, so I didn't do anything special, except screw the brake light back in place.

The routing of the cables is tedious and a little nerve wracking to ensure you don't break any clips (two demerits for me 😢). Just search YouTube for things like, "rear speaker replacement Ford Maverick," to see how they removed a particular piece of trim. These videos and MANY OTHERS were helpful:

The hardwiring into the fuse panel was my biggest anxiety (needless, it's not very difficult after all). I watched a lot of videos first. The one I found most helpful was this one:

You will need one Micro3 add-a-tap (i.e., three prongs) (see photo) and one Micro2 add-a-tap (i.e., two prongs). You can get both off Amazon. Make sure you get a fuse for each.

I actually had the orange Wago wire connectors that he uses in the video, which most people will not. They are pricey, but worth every penny for ease of use (and are UL rated). I use them heavily in electrical projects I do. You can use a solder connector or crimp connector there instead. Also, Ideal now sells a very similar connector at the big box stores in the electrical department.

Good luck on your install. I worked on mine a couple of hours a day, for 3 days, to keep my frustration level down.

Screenshot_20240213-142658.png
Thanks for sharing your expertise. Awesome Maverick build too. Looks like it's great to be an Auburn Tiger! I'm hoping not to break any clips, I have a 12 piece nylon trim removal toolset that does come in handy. Probably still break 'em. Even unloaded the rear view isn't good out of my bed cap, this would be a big upgrade.

OP
OP
AUTiger83

AUTiger83

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I said I'd give a one month review.

The good:

1. It provides a wider view than a rearview mirror, so part of your blinds spots are visible.

2. It records automatically, unless you manually stop it. The files are each one minute long. The file name is the date and time, so it's very easy to find a video if you know the approximate time you're looking for.

3. Nighttime rearview visibility is vastly improved. It take the available light and amplifies the image so you can see incredible distances behind you clearly. Headlights behind you are filtered down so they don't interfere with that same long distance view.

4. The recordings are very high quality. 4k front and 2.5k rear.

5. Pleased with the install. Very discreet. Casual observers won't realize there are cameras.

The bad:

1. The LCD screen is VERY polished glass that reflects everything in the cab . . . like a TV screen reflecting lights in a bright room. Fortunately, Wolfbox offers a matte film custom cut to fit. I found it on Amazon. Installation was easy. Huge improvement. Problem solved.

2. In bright daylight, I wish the LCD screen was a bit brighter. I have it max'ed on brightness. Hmmm . . . just remembered I have the moonroof cover open. Will try closing that. Stay tuned. **UPDATE**: Closing the moonroof's cover definitely helped.

3. The rearview camera makes vehicles appear much further behind you than they actually are. I'll think, "There's plenty of room to change lanes," glance into the side mirror and realize that semi is way closer than I thought. I'm sure I'll get used to this.

4. Installation was kind of a pain. But I wanted every wire hidden.

Bottom line:

I love it. I will never have another vehicle without an LCD mirror. I feel safer. I drive a lot, so that's important to me. I'd definitely buy it again.

Note: I really bought this for the LCD "mirror." The fact that it records is just a bonus. A regular rearview mirror view filled with headrests and C-pillars was my motivation. The completely unobstructed rear view was what mattered to me.

Last edited:

Jman79

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Vue, Honda Odessey, Ford Maverick 🤞MY24
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The bad:

1. The LCD screen is VERY polished glass that reflects everything in the cab . . . like a TV screen reflecting lights in a bright room. Fortunately, Wolfbox offers a matte film custom cut to fit. I found it on Amazon. Installation was easy. Huge improvement. Problem solved.

2. In bright daylight, I wish the LCD screen was a bit brighter. I have it max'ed on brightness. Hmmm . . . just remembered I have the moonroof cover open. Will try closing that. Stay tuned.

3. The rearview camera makes vehicles appear much further behind you than they actually are. I'll think, "There's plenty of room to change lanes," glance into the side mirror and realize that semi is way closer than I thought. I'm sure I'll get used to this.
I've had a front / rear dashcam in my old SUV for the past 8 years. The second I got in the Mav I realized I want one with the same exact rear cam position you did.

I bought the rearview style cam but the negatives you noticed are too much for me. The glare and perspective seemed too big a negative over my normal rearview.

I moved it to the dash to show traditional rearview plus cam. The screen is barely visible due to the increased light exposure and visibility.

I feel the manufacturers went to the rearview as a solution to the laws in many states prohibiting windshield mount. However, it seems a little half baked. They really need to figure out the reflectivity issue or just make these matte finish dash mount units.

My solution is to go back to an older style 4" unit that I'll mount on my dash in the cubby above the main screen or above my AS1 line (provided my local police station gives me a pass on that mount)

Last edited:

Sponsored

Hub City Hybrid

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Maverick Hybrid Lariat - Carbonized Gray
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
week but just got a bit intimidated about pulling all the panels off the pillars and everything. Can you show a bit of how you did the wiring to the fuse box and to the back of the cab? Or show the videos you mentioned about taking
I didn't video myself doing the installation. Just the photos in the original post. Sorry.

The back camera install was just pulling the third brake light, and sticking the metal bracket onto the paint, so it is mostly covered by the foam gasket. The wire runs next to it under the foam gasket. The gasket is thick enough that it seems to seal well, so I didn't do anything special, except screw the brake light back in place.

The routing of the cables is tedious and a little nerve wracking to ensure you don't break any clips (two demerits for me 😢). Just search YouTube for things like, "rear speaker replacement Ford Maverick," to see how they removed a particular piece of trim. These videos and MANY OTHERS were helpful:

The hardwiring into the fuse panel was my biggest anxiety (needless, it's not very difficult after all). I watched a lot of videos first. The one I found most helpful was this one:

You will need one Micro3 add-a-tap (i.e., three prongs) (see photo) and one Micro2 add-a-tap (i.e., two prongs). You can get both off Amazon. Make sure you get a fuse for each.

I actually had the orange Wago wire connectors that he uses in the video, which most people will not. They are pricey, but worth every penny for ease of use (and are UL rated). I use them heavily in electrical projects I do. You can use a solder connector or crimp connector there instead. Also, Ideal now sells a very similar connector at the big box stores in the electrical department.

Good luck on your install. I worked on mine a couple of hours a day, for 3 days, to keep my frustration level down.

Screenshot_20240213-142658.png
So did you use the micro3 fuse tap in Fuse 1 for Accessory power? Where did you end up tapping into for constant power, if at all?

i got the Wolfbox 840h (wifi version) with their hardwiring kit, but I prefer to use an unused fuse.

OP
OP
AUTiger83

AUTiger83

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So did you use the micro3 fuse tap in Fuse 1 for Accessory power? Where did you end up tapping into for constant power, if at all?

i got the Wolfbox 840h (wifi version) with their hardwiring kit, but I prefer to use an unused fuse.
To hardwire it, I followed this video to the letter:

Hub City Hybrid

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

thanks for the quick reply! I was looking to do those same ones after digging through several posts. Naturally, I didn't order the micro3 add-on. i at least ran the wire by the passenger A pillar so today wasn't a total bust

Hub City Hybrid

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

I finally got my micro3 add a fuse so I can tap into fuse 1. here's my next dumb question that I didn't see in the video:

Did you tie in the Wolfbox rearview camera with reverse lights? I'd guess not since the reverse lights are at the two tail lights. I also can't see a need for it when the truck already has a backup camera for parking

Sponsored

ryan2366

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat - Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I didn’t on mine.

No point in tying it into the reverse lights. It will only activate the parking lines which the reverse camera already has.

Save the time for other mods. 😝

Hub City Hybrid

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I didn’t on mine.

No point in tying it into the reverse lights. It will only activate the parking lines which the reverse camera already has.

Save the time for other mods. 😝
haha very true. the more I looked into it, I could tell I'd need more wire aka more trips to the store. I couldn't rationalize it. Best to cap that wire off. I think I'll attempt the same outside mount since my rear view is tinted

ryan2366

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat - Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I went a different way. I initially tried the camera on the corner of my tonneau cover and liked the reduction of blind spot to the rear right.

Unfortunately with winter and snow I figured inside the rear window may be better but water on the window was also an issue.

I ordered a cheap angled drawer pull off Ali express to keep water off the window directly in front of the camera. I also ordered a second camera and cable for the (spring/summer) tonneau mount.
Ford Maverick Digital (LCD) Rearview Mirror (Wolfbox G900 front and rear dash cams) installed - photos & review IMG_2009
Ford Maverick Digital (LCD) Rearview Mirror (Wolfbox G900 front and rear dash cams) installed - photos & review IMG_2010
Ford Maverick Digital (LCD) Rearview Mirror (Wolfbox G900 front and rear dash cams) installed - photos & review IMG_2011
Ford Maverick Digital (LCD) Rearview Mirror (Wolfbox G900 front and rear dash cams) installed - photos & review IMG_2012
Ford Maverick Digital (LCD) Rearview Mirror (Wolfbox G900 front and rear dash cams) installed - photos & review IMG_2013

OP
OP
AUTiger83

AUTiger83

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I finally got my micro3 add a fuse so I can tap into fuse 1. here's my next dumb question that I didn't see in the video:

Did you tie in the Wolfbox rearview camera with reverse lights? I'd guess not since the reverse lights are at the two tail lights. I also can't see a need for it when the truck already has a backup camera for parking
I didn't. But in retrospect, it would be nice to have the backup alignment lines when the tailgate is down. But the effort is too great for the reward for me.

TNFurb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco Sport OB ‘24 Mav Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Where are the video files stored with this system? Sad card on the camera or do you have to pay for cloud storage with the manufacturer?
Sponsored