First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL 2.0
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Yup, certainly an option. I've typically purchased used, but there's always a risk about why they are selling. You're much more likely to get a problem vehicle that is sold used 1 year old than new, since anyone with a lemon that doesn't want to deal with lemon law might just sell it instead. Always makes me nervous in Houston after a major flood to shop used, as you know they just fix it up and never report that stuff.

With the Maverick in this weird sellers market, you may also pay MORE for a used model than one you ordered, and who knows how many stranger's farts were infused into that seat cushion before you got it.
In this market especially! Three-year-old Rangers with 4x4 here in the Denver area are going for $30k+. For what I'm spending on my Mav I could get a 2015 F150 with 120,000 miles on it.... no thanks.

jtpc2021

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
His advice may have worked in the past, but in a market where used cars are overpriced with high mileage, an affordable new vehicle at msrp with warranty can make sense.

Also, his idea of paying off a house early was great too, but isn’t realistic now that homes cost so much. I’ll just have to keep renting unless the housing market crashes someday.

tngreg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
In this market especially! Three-year-old Rangers with 4x4 here in the Denver area are going for $30k+. For what I'm spending on my Mav I could get a 2015 F150 with 120,000 miles on it.... no thanks.
EXACTLY!!!
The Maverick is a good value for sure!

Sponsored

Dbarr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500c, Dodge Grandkidsvan, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I hate HATE HATE hate hate HATE Dave Ramsey. I encourage those who enjoy him to do some research on his past. I can tell anyone buying stuff is stupid and eat beans and rice for years. Lol 😂 great advice
So, how are you pay for your Maverick? Me, I haven’t decided whether I’ll pay cash or lease… Oh, I did Dave Ramsey before he was cool…

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So, how are you pay for your Maverick? Me, I haven’t decided whether I’ll pay cash or lease… Oh, I did Dave Ramsey before he was cool…
I will do a 36 month zero interest loan if available. I have cash but have it all invested. I thought about a lease but your paying almost half the value over 3 years anyway and only getting low miles.

edit, I will likely roll what I get from the Prius in the truck. I also invest/save half my income. More than happy to buy a a Maverick as my Prius is on its last leg. of course I would buy used if the market had better prices.

Last edited:

Dbarr

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500c, Dodge Grandkidsvan, Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I could get a 2015 runner with 82k miles on it for the same price as a hybrid with 0 miles. It's an easy decision debt isn't inherently bad. Don't fear debt. Fear bad debt.
Debt is deferred payment. You sacrifice future purchasing power by incurring debt. By Delaying immediate gratification, you will be amazed at what you can afford.

93nighthawk

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Transit 150, 97 Aerostar AWD, future XLT FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
His theory on used vehicles was sound advice 20 years ago when you could get a 5 year old vehicle with 50k mi on it for a 1/3 of the new price. Cash for clunkers was the start of the hyper inflation of used vehicles. For example, in 08 I bought an 07 Taurus for $8k. By 2011 it was worth $11k and had 20k more miles on it. Now with 2 years of limited production across all car lines, I don't see used being a viable option when people can spend the same amount on a new vehicle with less bells and whistles but with a warranty and 'newness."

gstiglitz

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is a little tongue in cheek. A guy called in asking if he was in good enough financial situation to buy a new truck. Dave recommended he not buy the truck, but also said it's not going to destroy him financially to do it, but that it's just not optimal.
Maybe we should all agree to do an Alice's Restaurant, and take turns calling in every day asking if we can buy a Maverick. :LOL:

Ask Dave: Can I buy a Maverick?
I am 66 year old and wished Dave Ramsey was around when I was 18. He has sound advice. I would be a wealthy man if I had not spent every penny I earned and was steadily in debt. I'd rather pay cash than pay a CC or pay off a loan. Later in life I was able to follow his advice, pay off my dept and pay cash for my pontoon boat to my cars. Just my opinion.

Sponsored

MattIngram

First Name
Deleteme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deleteme
This is a little tongue in cheek. A guy called in asking if he was in good enough financial situation to buy a new truck. Dave recommended he not buy the truck, but also said it's not going to destroy him financially to do it, but that it's just not optimal.
Maybe we should all agree to do an Alice's Restaurant, and take turns calling in every day asking if we can buy a Maverick. :LOL:

Ask Dave: Can I buy a Maverick?
Yes to managing debt responsibly. No to buying a charlatans books, apps and advice. And definitely a hard no to joining a tin foil hat wearing cult and being asked to drink the kool aid. I’m not too stupid to make up my own like Peter Griffin, lol.

MattIngram

First Name
Deleteme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Deleteme
His theory on used vehicles was sound advice 20 years ago when you could get a 5 year old vehicle with 50k mi on it for a 1/3 of the new price. Cash for clunkers was the start of the hyper inflation of used vehicles. For example, in 08 I bought an 07 Taurus for $8k. By 2011 it was worth $11k and had 20k more miles on it. Now with 2 years of limited production across all car lines, I don't see used being a viable option when people can spend the same amount on a new vehicle with less bells and whistles but with a warranty and 'newness."
Total cost of ownership is a better way to go for sure.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
No, I am financing part of it, but I'll be putting down 30-40%. If I have a 0%, 3 year loan I would "invest" money in paying off the Maverick in less than 3 years. Guaranteed return with zero risk. I will be tied to the lender as long as I have a note, but I'll also have enough cushion to dispense with the Maverick and get something for cash if needed or pick up a side job to make a few hundred bucks to pay the car note.

Just like I told each of my kids when they got "car fever" after getting their first jobs as teenagers and their eyes were bigger than the cash on hand and they took a car loan instead of a couple of them paying cash for an older vehicle: taking on a car note has the risk that if your economic circumstances change or you wish to go a different direction, that car note may limit what you can do. All three of them had situations where they either couldn't make a change they wanted (such as having to try to figure out how to pay a car note while taking an unpaid internship while in college) or had to work more than they wanted at times because they were obligated to make a car payment. Debt free is called financial freedom for a reason.

Why does Apple have 113 billion in debt? Don't know. What of Lehman Brothers, Worldcom, General Motors, Chrysler, Sears, Remington, ToysRUs? Did they have their loads of debt for any different reasons than Apple?
FWIW, I-bonds are paying 7.12% right now - absolutely zero risk. I haven't had a penny of debt since I paid off my home at age 34 (5yrs ago) and the OTD price of our Maverick is a single month of our income, but I have no problem taking a 0% loan from Ford when we have the highest inflation in nearly half a century and guaranteed returns in the federal bond market 14x+ that of a high-yield savings account.

Last edited:

Larrythelunatic

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Toyota Pickup. 22 IS hybrid Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

My dad used to say buy a brand new car and drive it until the wheels fall off. When I was young I bought lots of used cars and had lots of problems. For the last 30 years, I have bought only new for me and my wife. I buy a new one and drive it 10 years before I sell it and buy another new one. This system has worked great for me.
10 years?
Just barely broken in.
My Mav-to-be will be replacing a Toyota pickup that I bought new 30 years ago next February.
Only owned 4 new 4wheelers in my 73 years of life. This will be
number five.
Someone will inherit my barely-broken-in Maverick. Even if I could keep on driving for another 20 years.
Buy your first vehicle from your own savings.
The month after you buy it, start making your car payments
TO YOURSELF. YOU earn the interest, not the bank.
Dave Ramsey? Entertaining………but wears out fast.