First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've made a filler panel to prevent water/snow/dirt and what ever from going up behind the left rear tail light assembly. I used Galvanized Steel after making a prototype out of cardboard. Had to make sure to give more than enough clearance of wiring so as to not rub. Thought I could use the one bolt at lower inner fender side but the nut (10mm) is not a nut that can be removed, believe the nut is part of the bracket and the bolt comes through from the outside. Now I have a clip to attach the panel to the bolt temporally, will try something different later. Used the one large bolt (18mm) in the frame at rear of the panel to hold the rear, drilled new holes to secure more areas. I may just cut off the rear leg of the panel (but it does give extra support), don't think it's really needed except for extra support. Be careful if you work with any sheet metal, cuts skin very easy! OH, no rattles or squeaks heard...yet!

I've added more information later in thread.

IMG_2412.png

IMG_2407.JPG

IMG_2409.JPG

IMG_2411.JPG

IMG_2418.JPG

IMG_2422.JPG
You beat me to it!!! Looks very nice!!!! As others have said, thanks for sharing measurements!
Sponsored

DavesMav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Well hats off to you! After seeing your post, I feel confident in DIYing this solution. I can definitely see how useful this will be. Thank you for sharing!

Justcuz13

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Looks good. My only recommendation is to add 1/2ā€ to the long straight sides. Fold that 1/2ā€ over on itself. Known as a hemmed edge. It will stiffen the piece, provide a smoother edge to prevent cutting anything near it.

Sponsored

Koybot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 A51FE
DIY for the win!
great job, nice of you to share the dims.

Wrench77

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS, Ford Maverick pre ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Ford Maverick Custom fabricated cover / filler panel for left rear underbody opening D89E7A39-C510-46CC-90A5-6BD4CB640BE9

Iā€™ll be making one as soon as I get my truck (in June Iā€™m told ) out of this ABS plastic sheeting. Thank you for doing the leg work.

chips46

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2l 2022 ford maverick lariat lux fx4 tow 4x4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
D89E7A39-C510-46CC-90A5-6BD4CB640BE9.jpg

Iā€™ll be making one as soon as I get my truck (in June Iā€™m told ) out of this ABS plastic sheeting. Thank you for doing the leg work.
I don't think ABS plastic will work in this area, to hot from the muffler just below.

OP
OP
mcc63303

mcc63303

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sold 22 Hybrid XL now 24 Hybrid XL, 57 Chevy 454ci
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Looks good. My only recommendation is to add 1/2ā€ to the long straight sides. Fold that 1/2ā€ over on itself. Known as a hemmed edge. It will stiffen the piece, provide a smoother edge to prevent cutting anything near it.
Not a bad idea to bend over the edge. Would really be difficult to do so near the wires but workable. The edge That's right behind the inner fender (behind tire, where debris is thrown up) would be easy. The one side that attaches to the frame really doesn't warrant it, the side that fits on the inside of the fender and attaches to the bolt would be harder to do the bending but would be possible but is it really necessary? As you suggest, add another 1/2 inch and bend and hammer flat back against itself.

OP
OP
mcc63303

mcc63303

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don't think ABS plastic will work in this area, to hot from the muffler just below.
I have thought about finding a piece of plastic but the biggest problem I see is where there needs to be a bend for attachment. I don't think heat that far back would be much of an issue but no reason not to stick with Galvanized Sheet Metal. Galvanized metal many times has a 50-70 year non rust time, even if cheap metal it should last 20 or more. A little rust along the edge where cut if it occurs who cares?

Sponsored
OP
OP
mcc63303

mcc63303

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Again all... sheet metal is very sharp., be careful, best to wear gloves. Make a carboard template/prototype first and cut/trim until you get a fit you like.

Wrench77

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac ATS, Ford Maverick pre ordered
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Itā€™s rated from -40 C to + 80C thatā€™s like 180 f I believe. From what it looks like thereā€™s at least a few inches between the muffler and the guard. Iā€™ll try it but may end up putting a thermal tape on it to help with the heat.

Rob Cactus Gray

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Prius
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Maybe FoMoCo will have something similar on the 2023???
I donā€™t see this happening. Shit, it will just be another constraint item anyway. Best to DIY šŸ˜‰ good job. I donā€™t have steady hands for cutting, so if I do this it will be ugly as fuck.

OP
OP
mcc63303

mcc63303

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
how much are you charging?
Nick, I wish I was in a position to make these for others but I'm in the middle of a Major restoration of my 1957 Chevy. I've spent the winter stripping the car down to bare metal again (1st time was 48 years ago) and after taking every piece off I'll finish painting it this week and start the process of assembling it which will take many months.

Everyone, get yourself some galvanized sheet metal (I bought the 2ft x 10ft roll from Menards for around $28) and after making and fitting a cardboard template use tin snips to cut it out. A drill and some screws and you're off and running.

One thing I've not mentioned before is after you make the panel you flip it upside down for installation.

Ford Maverick Custom fabricated cover / filler panel for left rear underbody opening IMG_0089.JPG
Sponsored