Sponsored

Considering waiting for the 2023 Ranger?

Redbaron

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Cruze
I already preordered the EB Mav and have a build date of 9/20. But I really don’t like that I’m forced to choose the EB option for the greater towing capacity and AWD.
I really wanted a hybrid vehicle but I can’t deal with 2000lb towing capacity, that’s honestly car towing capacities. I’m quite concerned for the resale value of the EB, as electric and hybrid vehicles will soon dominate the industry(2027). Will it have any resale value? I’m sure by then you can order the Mav with a hybrid/full EV with the 4K tow and awd.

I am almost positive the 2023 ranger will have a hybrid option, like the current f150. And I’m sure it will have a higher towing capacity than the Mav and possibly AWD. Part of me really wants to wait for the press release of the 2023 ranger and see what we are looking at. I’m sure for $37K I could get a hybrid ranger(maybe even the lariat if the government has incentives).

What do you guys think?
Sponsored

Last edited:

SuckLemons

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota Tacoma 🌮
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I saw somewhere they were planning on a plug-in model for the new Ranger, so I may entertain that idea if they release details and pricing before I am scheduled for my hybrid, but not if it’ll cost me $40k. That’s Lightning Pro territory and I’d just do that instead. I’m happy with the little Maverick for now. I don’t like the current Ranger aesthetically and that it gets subpar gas mileage.

And heck, maybe our hybrids will hold their value pretty well since you have to order them and there won’t be dealer stock until they work their way through customer orders.

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick, EB AWD Towing, Cactus Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I mean, if you spec out at XL with EB and 4K tow and AWD, you're looking at like $25-$26k delivered... This is going to be thousands of dollars cheaper, if not over $10K, than a hybrid ranger will be in a couple of years.

Your concerns aren't necessarily invalid, but I think that the Mav is so cheap (at least in the above config) that you might still come out ahead even if the resale isn't great on these.

Interesting question though, and yet another data point that suggests that Ford has hit a large demographic with the Maverick. You are someone who would consider buying a high 30's hybrid truck, and that is a non-starter for me, yet here we both are!

Deleted member 1370

I agree with you 100% on the towing capacity. I was first going to go hybrid as well. but when i saw the towing capacity it had and the cvt which that in of itself is limiting it i bet i decided to go with the ecoboost and towing package. Youre not wrong on the resell value mind you. I think in this market though both will hold value. Unless the market drastically changes soon where NO ONE is buying internal combustion. And i dont see that happening anytime soon. I feel with most of america more people are going to buy ice engines even if they are used vs jumping into the pool of all electric just yet. Hybrid is a different story though as you said. But as the person above me pointed out and id agree, the next ranger may have a hybrid option or plug in. but i bet its gonna be expensive just like the f150 lightning. Pay to play basically. You may be right though on pricing of a new ranger hybrid if one comes out. Im not sure if the feds will give incentives for it though. They do so for electric but not sure on hybrid. dont have the answer in that. long story short. I get you wanting more towing power and hybrid but you may be waiting a hot minute. If youre willing to wait and have other vehicles to use go for it and wait it out i say! The other side of the coin may be they dont want to step on mavericks toes and leave that to be the hybrid small truck option (for now).

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you're concerned about towing capability, then wait for the Ranger. As far as resale value, has anyone noticed the prices of used pickup trucks the past few years, even 10+ year old trucks with over 100k miles selling for outrageous prices. IMO, Mavericks will hold their value hybrid or not.

Sponsored

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Lease the Maverick. If you don’t like it or like the Ranger better, you can turn the Maverick in. Sometimes manufacturers will let you end a lease early if you are purchasing another vehicle from them. If you turn out liking the Maverick better, buy it at the end of the lease (you’ll know the cost up front).

James St. Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK Velocity Blue Ecoboost AWD
I already preordered the EB Mav and have a build date of 9/20. But I really don’t like that I’m forced to choose the EB option for the greater towing capacity and AWD.
I really wanted a hybrid vehicle but I can’t deal with 2000lb towing capacity, that’s honestly car towing capacities. I’m quite concerned for the resale value of the EB, as electric and hybrid vehicles will soon dominate the industry(2027). Will it have any resale value? I’m sure by then you can order the Mav with a hybrid/full EV with the 4K tow and awd.

I am almost positive the 2023 ranger will have a hybrid option, like the current f150. And I’m sure it will have a higher towing capacity than the Mav and possibly AWD. Part of me really wants to wait for the press release of the 2023 ranger and see what we are looking at. I’m sure for $37K I could get a hybrid ranger(maybe even the lariat if the government has incentives).

What do you guys think?
If you do not NEED a new truck now, you could wait for the new Ranger and see if it will meet your requirement. If it does not, you go with a Maverick later. The risk is small because Maverick’s will not be $40k next year.

Reactions: Sam

22Mav

Banned
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT/Lariat.. Undecided still :O
Honestly, I'd love the new Ranger, but the price point is going to take it completely off the table, IMO. I have no need for the additional capability a Ranger would offer. I can get the Maverick loaded up for probably ~$10k less than the comparable new Ranger will be. I think the new look of the Ranger is going to be beautiful, but I really don't need a body-on-frame truck. The Maverick checks so many boxes for me at a very attractive price point. I'd have to settle for way less options in exchange for more capability with the Ranger. If I absolutely needed the added capability or just had money to blow on the price difference, I'd consider the Ranger.

James St. Patrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD MAVERICK Velocity Blue Ecoboost AWD
Honestly, I'd love the new Ranger, but the price point is going to take it completely off the table, IMO. I have no need for the additional capability a Ranger would offer. I can get the Maverick loaded up for probably ~$10k less than the comparable new Ranger will be. I think the new look of the Ranger is going to be beautiful, but I really don't need a body-on-frame truck. The Maverick checks so many boxes for me at a very attractive price point. I'd have to settle for way less options in exchange for more capability with the Ranger. If I absolutely needed the added capability or just had money to blow on the price difference, I'd consider the Ranger.
Bingo.

I was strongly considering a 2021 Ranger and would have likely purchased one, IF the crewcabs were not $40k (XLT) and were available.

I had to take a step back and realized I do not tow ANYTHING. Nothing. NADA. This realization moved me to the Maverick XLT, and I can get EVERYTHING I wanted from a truck for $30K.

Last edited:

TylerDurden

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mercury Marauder & 2002 Ford Explorer
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have very basic needs in mind, I just need a Supercrew with 4x4 or AWD, anything else is a bonus.
33,165 for a Ranger
24,795 for Maverick
$8,370 price difference
I personally can't justify the Ranger just based on these current numbers. If they make a hybrid AWD next year I could save an additional $1,085 not having to upgrade to the Ecoboost. I really hope that's a reality.

Sponsored

Ron Neal

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold Ranger
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My biggest concern is towing so opted for the AWD/4k. I may need to downsize my trailer which complicates things. I just sold a 20 Ranger and it was a good truck but I don't need a 7500 lb towing capacity and don't like the fact I can't reach over the side of the bed to retrieve anything.
Right now the Maverick checks more boxes and the older I get the less I need to do truck things.
A new trailer is somewhere between $4-$12k depending on how light I want to go but I am curious what the new Ranger will have to offer.

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Now that the Maverick has come out with more rear seat legroom than the Ranger, I'm curious to see how the next-gen Ranger addresses that area, if at all. More and more reports are that the next-gen Ranger is just on a revised T-6 frame, so other than accommodating a V-6 (like Bronco), I'm not holding my breath that they'll stretch the cab.

HRG

Sjbuck2021

Banned
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Frontier /2018 Acura RDX
If you're concerned about towing capability, then wait for the Ranger. As far as resale value, has anyone noticed the prices of used pickup trucks the past few years, even 10+ year old trucks with over 100k miles selling for outrageous prices. IMO, Mavericks will hold their value hybrid or not.
Used prices on trucks isn't going to last forever.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This is sort of like saying well the Maverick doesn't tow what I want, I am considering a Range Rover.

Obviously not to this extreme. But a Ranger is going to be so much more expensive than a Maverick trim-for-trim that it would be false economy to buy a theoretical Ranger hybrid over a Maverick EB. $10,000 buys a lot of gas, even at prices today.
Sponsored