2.0L EcoBoost

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In all honesty how often do you use your spare tire? I'm 53 and have been drying since 15, in all that time I think I have used my spare maybe 4 times.
In our household with multiple vehicles we have used spare 8 times in past 5 years. We have been stranded on a road trip about 10 years ago due to temp spare failure due to pothole. On a Sunday, Monday was a holiday. We had to wait until Tuesday to get replacement tire.
Full size spare tire is expected on a truck. Necessity when towing.

Alto Maverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger tremor, explorer sport
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
What does having 2 blow outs in a year have to do with this? The spare tire is there to get you to a service center where a new full sized replacement tire can be installed. The slightly smaller spare can and will do this job with ease. Cramming a full size tire under there won't change anything.

Based on your comments and the fact that you have a hybrid, I think you are trying to rigidly apply your more limited needs and life experiences to everyone else. Here are some insights that may help you:

1. Not everyone lives within 50 miles of a "service center." Cramming a full size tire under there ABSOLUTELY will change the situation for the better for people not restricted to 10 mile suburban commuting in a hybrid. Many more people routinely need to at least travel through areas without immediate access to service, or have jobs/needs that don't allow for being stranded while waiting days for tow, repair, ordering a tire, rental vehicle, etc. Next time you drive 50-100 miles of mountain roads with mismatched diameter tires on an AWD vehicle, let me know how it goes. Specifically: does itseem to brake safely, or does it confuse your ABS and AWD? Do you get idiot lights? How much damage do you do to the AWD components?

2. If you've only had 4 flats in almost half a century, that's good for you. I've had 4 in the past year and a half. In my 30 years of driving I've had dozens of flats, some in situations where not having to rely on the "service center" to fix my problems was a big benefit. Ever have a flat tire while evacuating from a hurricane? I have. Good luck ordering a matching one and having it mounted before the storm hits...

3. Other people probably drive a lot more miles than you. In recent years, my wife and I have often racked up 70k miles/year combined, often through remote locations.

4. Your opinion that it's not a problem to mix in a smaller diameter tire with larger is 100% inaccurate for people with AWD, which appears to be the majority of those concerned. It's absolutely valid for them to be concerned. You can roast an AWD system very quickly that way, and turn an inconvenience into an inoperable vehicle.

5. Whether in the mountains or in Miami traffic where the flow is 85-90mph, it is ALWAYS safer to have a matching tire if possible. Unless you think driving a vehicle with dramatically increased braking distance and reduced handling doesn't matter?

You seem fixated on arguing with people about the validity of wanting a matching tire diameter, but do you understand that many people have AWD and different needs from you? If you don't want/need it, fine, but I assure you that people who drive awd versions many miles a year outside of the suburbs have VERY valid rationales for attempting to fit a true fullsize spare, if they can do so safely. If there is a safe way to mount it, it would be an objective benefit for many people in many circumstances. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but these are important factors. This is a vehicle marketed to younger people, and I'd hate to see them discouraged from taking reasonable steps to ensure they can fix their own problem rather than relying on someone else. Or worse yet, believing that a mixture of tire sizes isn't a genuine problem for an AWD vehicle.

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL EB FWD Carb Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Worth getting a cover for the spare to prevent rot, etc?

Sponsored

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Not unless you routinely park your truck upside down.
My concern was more all the salt/dirt/rocks/mud that hit that spare. I've always had my spare in the vehicle, just curious if folks do it to cover up.

Lynyrd Skynyrd

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Never seen or heard of anyone caring but you could buy a rear spare tire cover for a jeep, rav4 or crv. I would be worried more about it holding water and rotting the rim that way though

FromAway

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat FX4 4K Cactus Grey
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
My concern was more all the salt/dirt/rocks/mud that hit that spare. I've always had my spare in the vehicle, just curious if folks do it to cover up.
You do know that tires are designed to drive on salt/drit/rocks/mud right?

athertonbt

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You do know that tires are designed to drive on salt/drit/rocks/mud right?
I guess the difference in my mind is that, in my limited experience, the spare tire generally doesn't move, so there's more opportunity for the 'drit' and other substances to hang out on the tire for a lot longer than if it were spinning everyday and getting wind and sun. Strong question though. Super helpful.

Sponsored

Bburt76

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
i have the FX4 with 4k tow packge and replaced my donut spare with a steel wheel and 225x65 r17 and it fits.

Ford Maverick Confirmed. Steelie as full size spare does fit Screenshot_20230330-094516_Video Player

Ford Maverick Confirmed. Steelie as full size spare does fit Screenshot_20230330-094438_Video Player

Soberjoe

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat 2.0 ECO
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Lariat FX4 with 4K tow package here. I dropped the donut and put a 235/65R17 on a steelie in place yesterday.
Itā€™s tight. I mean, get-the-jagged-teeth-into-the-treads kinda tight, and still binds against the hitch receiver but itā€™s in place, lol.
I think I will dump some air so it fits a little less ā€˜snugā€™ and just carry a small pump under the rear seat.

Nw_adventure

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element/ Toyota Highlander
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Lariat FX4 with 4K tow package here. I dropped the donut and put a 235/65R17 on a steelie in place yesterday.
Itā€™s tight. I mean, get-the-jagged-teeth-into-the-treads kinda tight, and still binds against the hitch receiver but itā€™s in place, lol.
I think I will dump some air so it fits a little less ā€˜snugā€™ and just carry a small pump under the rear seat.
Good to know- I am in same boat- Will look at getting a 235/65-

Syntax Error

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT Hybrid Alto Blue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Is your 235/65/R17 an "all-terrain" type tire that fits between the jagged saw edge and the trailer hitch? I am thinking about getting the Nokian Outpost ATPs and wondering if the 235/65/R17s would fit underneath so I can have a legit full size spare.
Sponsored