2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Rogue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Hi all,

I want to replace the front door speakers at the lowest cost possible (best bang the buck).

Should I even bother removing tweeters if I get coaxial front speakers? OR should I get a component set and replace the tweeters? Tweeters seems to be a pain to replace, wires are short and I can't seem to find a harness for them.

Looking at Coaxial Hertz 165.3, Hertz K165 with set a tweeters or Rockford Fosgate R165-S with tweeters. My options in Canada are a bit limited, crutchfield.ca is where I'm shopping. I wish I could get the Ford Powerbass set online for a decent price.
Sponsored

fishinmagician

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

The Powerbass are only $130 on Amazon. Is it really that much to ship to Canadia?

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Boxster S, 2018 BMW M5, Ducati's, Suzuki's
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Hi all,

I want to replace the front door speakers at the lowest cost possible (best bang the buck).

Should I even bother removing tweeters if I get coaxial front speakers? OR should I get a component set and replace the tweeters? Tweeters seems to be a pain to replace, wires are short and I can't seem to find a harness for them.

Looking at Coaxial Hertz 165.3, Hertz K165 with set a tweeters or Rockford Fosgate R165-S with tweeters. My options in Canada are a bit limited, crutchfield.ca is where I'm shopping. I wish I could get the Ford Powerbass set online for a decent price.
What is your budget? I mean, you can get a pair of Focal component speaker systems for 1K.... IS it worth it in a Maverick, No.. You can spend $150 for a set and be very pleased since the stock speakers really do suck.

OP
OP
Grim_Skunk

Grim_Skunk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Rogue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Powerbass are only $130 on Amazon. Is it really that much to ship to Canadia?
I could go that route, it's $225 Canadia money... $100 more. The tweeter OEM connectors are nice, but is the sound better than Hertz 165.3?

OP
OP
Grim_Skunk

Grim_Skunk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Rogue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
What is your budget? I mean, you can get a pair of Focal component speaker systems for 1K.... IS it worth it in a Maverick, No.. You can spend $150 for a set and be very pleased since the stock speakers really do suck.
I was looking at $100 -$150. crutchfield stuff comes with harness and bracket,, which would save me $20+.

Sponsored

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I was looking at $100 -$150. crutchfield stuff comes with harness and bracket,, which would save me $20+.
It's your call, what sounds good to me might not sound good to you, but you need to remember, anything aftermarket will be much better than stock.

Abraxis

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Elantra, forester, ranger, crx
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I wish I could get the Ford Powerbass set online for a decent price.
Just curious, why is this higher on your list of "want to get" than the others you mentioned? Due to ease of install? If so, I feel like ordering from crutchfield kind of resolves that, since they will send you the mounting brackets and wiring harnesses for free. Is it because of sound fidelity? If so, why do you feel the power ass (lol my auto correct changed that, but I do not have the will to fix it) will be more pleasing to your ear?

Good luck with your system. I've got the hertz k170 set in the mail. Might have them installed in a couple of weeks depending on this and that. I'll check back on this thread to see if you've ordered anything or not and, if not, I'll leave some impressions.

OP
OP
Grim_Skunk

Grim_Skunk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Rogue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just curious, why is this higher on your list of "want to get" than the others you mentioned? Due to ease of install? If so, I feel like ordering from crutchfield kind of resolves that, since they will send you the mounting brackets and wiring harnesses for free. Is it because of sound fidelity? If so, why do you feel the power ass (lol my auto correct changed that, but I do not have the will to fix it) will be more pleasing to your ear?

Good luck with your system. I've got the hertz k170 set in the mail. Might have them installed in a couple of weeks depending on this and that. I'll check back on this thread to see if you've ordered anything or not and, if not, I'll leave some impressions.
I wanted the Powerbass for the easy swap. For the same price ($225+ shipped to Canada) I could get something better... Thanks for your input on Powerbass!

I could be wrong but, Crutchfield will give you the door speaker harness, but they wont give you the tweeter harness ($20 on Amazon.ca), maybe because you need to modify them? Swap the polarity on tweeter 72-5600?

I just want something better than stock, without cutting factory wires. I def don't want to lose bass as there's almost none at the moment. I got tired of searching and bought the cheapest set, Sound Ordnance P-67CB. I think they'll be fine. They come with separate crossovers, they are not built into the speaker. I'll have to bypass the stock tweeter harness and install a new wire going to the corner dash. I just hope it's not too hard to phish the wire to that corner dash.

Last edited:

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL, VB, 2.0 EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Have you listened to the speaker compare feature on Crutchfield?
It's a great tool and I use it often.

Crutchfield has lots of low cost replacements in Component and Coaxial speakers. I've listened to all kinds of combinations and have just about decided on the Kenwood KFC-1666 Coaxial for the front replacement and just leave the tweeters in place, maybe even disable. The Kenwood have that bright California/Surf sound from the 60's that the Bose speakers are famous for. I'm drawn to that sound. The KFC-1666 are retail US $49 on Crutchfield that include mounting adapters and connectors. They are around US $28, or so, on Amazon, but you have to either make or buy a mounting adapter and connectors.

The 4" Kenwood coaxial KFC-1066 sound pretty decent as well.

I've found a Chinese manufacturer that makes a DSP Amp (Puzu PZ-C7) and will provide a T-Harness for Ford's so that no wires need to be cut. The DSP has software that allows one to customize the sound to their preferences with a 6 channel equalizer. I found a YouTube reviewer that has good things to say about it. It's $144 on AliExpress.com and the Ford harness is $26.60, both with free shipping. I've always been cautious about buying on AliExpress, so I've not pulled the trigger yet.

I'm just trying to finally decide on using the subwoofer that I'm building using an 8" Acoustic Research subwoofer I found in outstorage or buy a mini sub of some kind. I've found several that intrigues me. Acoustic Research has great specs, even though the system was inexpensive. I originally bought it for a throw-a-way because I was on a job on Johnston Island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, but after leaving my employer sent it home for me. Turns out that it was a rebranded discontinued model with a great sound.

Like you, I'm not trying to spend lots of $'s, US or Canadian, so I'm trying to find the least expensive decent stuff I can find. And at 75 years old, I don't need the head banging stuff anymore. :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, with a decent pair of headphones, the Crutchfield speaker compare system is a great tool to decide whether something is what you like or not.

Let us know what you decide. :cool:

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Crutchfield has lots of low cost replacements in Component and Coaxial speakers. I've listened to all kinds of combinations and have just about decided on the Kenwood KFC-1666 Coaxial for the front replacement and just leave the tweeters in place, maybe even disable. The Kenwood have that bright California/Surf sound from the 60's that the Bose speakers are famous for. I'm drawn to that sound. The KFC-1666 are retail US $49 on Crutchfield that include mounting adapters and connectors. They are around US $28, or so, on Amazon, but you have to either make or buy a mounting adapter and connectors.

I've found a Chinese manufacturer that makes a DSP Amp (Puzu PZ-C7) and will provide a T-Harness for Ford's so that no wires need to be cut. The DSP has software that allows one to customize the sound to their preferences with a 6 channel equalizer. I found a YouTube reviewer that has good things to say about it. It's $144 on AliExpress.com and the Ford harness is $26.60, both with free shipping. I've always been cautious about buying on AliExpress, so I've not pulled the trigger yet.

I'm just trying to finally decide on using the subwoofer that I'm building using an 8" Acoustic Research subwoofer I found in outstorage or buy a mini sub of some kind. I've found several that intrigues me. Acoustic Research has great specs, even though the system was inexpensive. I originally bought it for a throw-a-way because I was on a job on Johnston Island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, but after leaving my employer sent it home for me. Turns out that it was a rebranded discontinued model with a great sound.

Like you, I'm not trying to spend lots of $'s, US or Canadian, so I'm trying to find the least expensive decent stuff I can find. And at 75 years old, I don't need the head banging stuff anymore. :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, with a decent pair of headphones, the Crutchfield speaker compare system is a great tool to decide whether something is what you like or not.

SInce any speaker will sound MUCH better than stock ones, listening to them is a mood point for many people.

Sponsored

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
SInce any speaker will sound MUCH better than stock ones, listening to them is a mood point for many people.
Interesting and thought provoking statement. I listen to them to choose which sound I like better. There are differences in each brand's type of sound. Some are better for the type of music I listen to. There are some very expensive speakers I do not care for the type of sound. Since I do like the bright sounds of Bose speakers of the '70s, I try to find that type of sound when I'm replacing stock speakers.

I'm not trying to be disagreeable, but it the way a speaker sounds is not a moot point for me. After all, I wouldn't buy a truck without at least taking a test drive. :cool:

Eagle11

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Interesting and thought provoking statement. I listen to them to choose which sound I like better. There are differences in each brand's type of sound. Some are better for the type of music I listen to. There are some very expensive speakers I do not care for the type of sound. Since I do like the bright sounds of Bose speakers of the '70s, I try to find that type of sound when I'm replacing stock speakers.

I'm not trying to be disagreeable, but it the way a speaker sounds is not a moot point for me. After all, I wouldn't buy a truck without at least taking a test drive. :cool:
Speakers will sound different when installed in the car than you heard on the soundboard. The limitation is the sound quality of the Ford head unit and how the speaker is installed. So my original statement of "any aftermarket speakers will sound better than stock still stands."

OP
OP
Grim_Skunk

Grim_Skunk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Rogue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Yep, I've used the sound & compare tool. To my ears the Kicker 46CSC674 sounded great to my ears, but it's out of stock on the crutchfield.ca also not on sale. I see what you mean for Kenwood KFC-1666, there's definitely more mid in those speakers, reminds me of The Ventures type of sound. I did compare with the P-67CB, I like the bass in them.

Interesting information about the Puzu PZ-C7 and Ford harness supplied! I'm saving for a compact sub, Kicker 8" or 10", heard so many good things about it.

I spoke to a Crutchfield tech this morning. He confirmed the door speaker wire (non B&O system) has the full range. So no amp or modification needed to get the external crossover working. I'll try those and hope its not too much of a headache to install the tweeter.

OP
OP
Grim_Skunk

Grim_Skunk

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Rogue
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Speakers will sound different when installed in the car than you heard on the soundboard. The limitation is the sound quality of the Ford head unit and how the speaker is installed. So my original statement of "any aftermarket speakers will sound better than stock still stands."
My thoughts as well. No sense of spending money on high end speakers if I'm running it on the stock Mav system.

uh50

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hchaney.com
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I agree with your statement that aftermarket speakers do sound better than most stock, especially on the stock head unit. Just want you to understand, I'm not disagreeing with that statement.

As an EE, I understand dynamics of speaker installation shape and change speaker sound. But I also understand we can manipulate the dynamics to get the best sound we possibly can, but at a cost. That is the reason people buy Amps, use acoustic material, and shape the sound to their tastes.

I do not understand, however, when choosing speakers to buy, you object to listening to speakers in a decent installation. My statements apply to me and I was just trying to share with a fellow Maverick owner. I don't understand the objection as they do not help anyone.

Plus, the objection to my statements are completely off topic for this thread, and here I am falling into the same trap.
Sponsored