First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Definitely pay attention to not draw too much current tapping from it, but a few watts from low draw devices such as the mirror and low powered USB devices with an DC-DC converter should be fine. đź‘Ť
Agree with all, my line of reasoning is that if the dashcam or mirror fry and/or do something weird I would rather it short out convenience lights and not affect something more "critical".
Sponsored

mikeakasully

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape, 2023 Ford Maverick 2.0 Ecoboost
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I wouldn't tap into the camera, as it is a safety device.

mikeakasully

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Last edited:

Paul Stovner

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX5
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If you want to make your own split out connector to plug into the light assembly's connector, here are the parts your will need.

Molex 34791-0081, Mouser #: 538-34791-0081

Automotive Connectors 8P 1R MINI50 RECPT UNSEALED GRAY

Link: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/34791-0081?qs=rBzrYveeBvERfXwJqkctBQ==

Ford Maverick Cheap auto-dimming, homelink mirror 1685461876846

Molex 34792-0081, Mouser #: 538-34792-0081
Automotive Connectors 8P 1R MINI50 HEADER VERT UNSEALED GRAY

Link: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/34792-0081?qs=rBzrYveeBvFlNAPKbRAUZA==

Ford Maverick Cheap auto-dimming, homelink mirror 1685461889585

Molex 560023-0421, Mouser #: 538-560023-0421-LP

Automotive Connectors CTX50 TERM UNSLD LOOSE PIECE

Link: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/560023-0421-Loose-Piece?qs=/H84ApbqrvO5bomaNrDXXg==
Ford Maverick Cheap auto-dimming, homelink mirror 1685461904362

Mabcim

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat 2.0 AWD; 20 Escape SEL 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Sponsored

jwilson

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PENDING MAV XLT/Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sorry, I tried to search but couldn't find - on the Kia mirror wiring harness/plug, which wire goes to constant and which to switched power when tapping into the courtesy lights? The harness has three wires; one ends in a ring so that's obviously the ground. The other two have female spade connectors, one wire is all black and one black with white stripe. Which one is which?

RDRahn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Sorry, I tried to search but couldn't find - on the Kia mirror wiring harness/plug, which wire goes to constant and which to switched power when tapping into the courtesy lights? The harness has three wires; one ends in a ring so that's obviously the ground. The other two have female spade connectors, one wire is all black and one black with white stripe. Which one is which?
I did a video about my install: . The part that talks about the wiring specifics starts about 8:30 in and goes for about 2-1/2 minutes. I think that my answer your question.

jwilson

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PENDING MAV XLT/Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I did a video about my install: . The part that talks about the wiring specifics starts about 8:30 in and goes for about 2-1/2 minutes. I think that my answer your question.
This is a GREAT video - I've actually already watched it a couple of times! You didn't say specifically on the colors from the Kia harness, but it sounds like the solid black (you said "middle") goes to yellow (constant) and black w/white stripe to switched?

RDRahn

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This is a GREAT video - I've actually already watched it a couple of times! You didn't say specifically on the colors from the Kia harness, but it sounds like the solid black (you said "middle") goes to yellow (constant) and black w/white stripe to switched?
You are correct, I did not specify. As I recall, when you pull the three wire from the mirror harness apart, there are two black and one with a white stripe.

The middle wire (black) goes to the yellow wire on the map light harness so you can use the mirror whether the vehicle is turned on or not (I think it actually turns off after a minute or so and powers up when the door is opened).

The Black/white stripe wire goes to the purple (switched power) wire on the map light harness. Some people want the homelink to work only when the car is powered, so connect both middle black and black/white stripe wire to the purple.

The black wire on the outside or the mirror harness is ground and needs to be connected to the black/green stripe wire of the map light harness.

Hope this helps and thanks for watching the video.

OB1e

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CG LUX XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Anyone know if the front camera and the dome light share the same fuse? I need to power the auto dimming mirror, radar detector, and viofo front/rear cameras. I'd prefer not to have a run a cable from the interior fuse box. Don't want to power all three from the same circuit overhead either.

Sponsored

Mabcim

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick Lariat 2.0 AWD; 20 Escape SEL 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Anyone know if the front camera and the dome light share the same fuse? I need to power the auto dimming mirror, radar detector, and viofo front/rear cameras. I'd prefer not to have a run a cable from the interior fuse box. Don't want to power all three from the same circuit overhead either.
The fuse list, in the owners manual, isn’t clear on which is the dome light. Fuse 3, in the passenger footwell fuse box, is for the windshield camera (aka IMPA - image processing module A). You could pull that fuse and see if done still works.

Radman73

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Porsche Boxster
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Ordered two of the mirrors, one for my son's and one for mine now that it's scheduled. This thread has been a great resource.

mikeakasully

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

jwilson

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PENDING MAV XLT/Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Highly recommend @mikeakasully ’s harness! Reasonable price, quick ship, and snapped right in. I was worried about modifying a wiring harness - not the actual process of it, but rather possibly voiding a warranty repair if something electrical happened that could be blamed on cutting/tapping a wire - so I went this route. Loving the new setup. Thanks to @RDRahn for a great install video also.
Sponsored