Sponsored

Can someone explain the DRL lighting for 2024 XLT?

Jag42

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I have a week old 24 Maverick XLT. What is actually the DRL's? LED headlights or the Amber DRL? I just installed the Underground LED switchbacks on the front (no hyperflash) and would like to run those full time with no Headlights on. I'm aware i can switch the dial to "parking lamp" I noticed no lights will come on unless the truck is in Drive too. Thanks !

Ford Maverick Can someone explain the DRL lighting for 2024 XLT? 20240114_143336

Ford Maverick Can someone explain the DRL lighting for 2024 XLT? 20240114_143340
Sponsored

PlantMan

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-250 4WD crew 8' bed; 2022 Maverick XL AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did you try advanced search for "XLT DRL"? Possible answer there for using Forscan to change settings.

generalmgr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have a week old 24 Maverick XLT. What is actually the DRL's? LED headlights or the Amber DRL? I just installed the Underground LED switchbacks on the front (no hyperflash) and would like to run those full time with no Headlights on. I'm aware i can switch the dial to "parking lamp" I noticed no lights will come on unless the truck is in Drive too. Thanks !

20240114_143336.jpg

20240114_143340.jpg
With forscan, you can set the switchbacks to be the DRLs, rather than the low beams. I thought about doing that myself, then changed my mind….worried about overheating the LEDs. Over the summer I experienced hyperflashing after sitting for a few minutes with my turn signal on. Not sure they would stand up to being on the entire time the truck is running. But they aren’t that expensive so might just try it and replace them if they burn out.

OP
OP

Jag42

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
With forscan, you can set the switchbacks to be the DRLs, rather than the low beams. I thought about doing that myself, then changed my mind….worried about overheating the LEDs. Over the summer I experienced hyperflashing after sitting for a few minutes with my turn signal on. Not sure they would stand up to being on the entire time the truck is running. But they aren’t that expensive so might just try it and replace them if they burn out.
Thanks ! Which bulb? Lasfit or Underground?

Sponsored

SLJ

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I have the newer Lasfit switchbacks (T3). Had the original Lasfit but they were too bright and ran hotter.

OP
OP

Jag42

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Underground is premium LED with built in cooling fans. We will see.

TNFurb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco Sport OB ‘24 Mav Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don’t know the answer for sure on an XLT. On a lariat it’s the LED strip that is above and wraps down the side of the turn signal lamps. Not sure if XLTs have those or not

generalmgr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

At the time I had the older version Lasfit. I just installed the new iteration last week. Side note: the new models are still too bright. Not as bad as the originals… but they still light up street signs for what seems like 1/4 mile away lol

generalmgr

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT EB
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I don’t know the answer for sure on an XLT. On a lariat it’s the LED strip that is above and wraps down the side of the turn signal lamps. Not sure if XLTs have those or not
On an XLT, the low beam lights function as the DRLs… we don’t have the LED DRLs like a Lariat.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Jag42

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Underground is also insanely bright. Light up highway signs 75+ yards

Howard

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IH Scout, Ranger, Escape, 24 Atlas Blue someday
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The DRLs are lower wattage white lights, not the parking lights, intended to provide increased visibility of your vehicle. Originally, the DRLs were the headlights on lower voltage. Today, some have seperate bulbs for the DRLs. Not having my Mav. yet, I don't know what they have.

DRLs are mandated in Canada. According to Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108, all new vehicles made or imported after January 1, 1990 must have DRL. The standard permits the use of reduced-voltage high beam headlamps, as well as any lightbulb color from white, amber, and some yellows. There are no mandates for DRLs in the U.S., but the same DRLs are used.

Google daytime running lights for more info.

Darnon

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
This post suggests a possible FORScan configuration for XL/XLTs to enable the turn signals to function as DRL, but looks like some follow-up posts from other users had mixed results. I don't think there's been any consensus on a surefire configuration. Some have worked temporarily, but the BCM and/or headlight module seems to have logic that eventually checks if the low beams are functioning as the DRL and may automatically switch back to using the low beams regardless of settings. (My guess would be to suspect the outage detection settings may be at play?)

Alternatively one could just brute force it and disconnect the turn signal low from the parking light circuit controlled by the BCM and just wire it to a key on hot source.

snowcatxx87

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1290SDR EVO / Tiger 900RP / 300cc Grom / Surron
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The DRLs are lower wattage white lights, not the parking lights, intended to provide increased visibility of your vehicle. Originally, the DRLs were the headlights on lower voltage. Today, some have seperate bulbs for the DRLs. Not having my Mav. yet, I don't know what they have.

DRLs are mandated in Canada. According to Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108, all new vehicles made or imported after January 1, 1990 must have DRL. The standard permits the use of reduced-voltage high beam headlamps, as well as any lightbulb color from white, amber, and some yellows. There are no mandates for DRLs in the U.S., but the same DRLs are used.

Google daytime running lights for more info.
I can’t stand this common mistake. A DRL doesn’t have to be a separate light. DRL means that something on the front of th vehicle has to be lit. It can be low beams, lower voltage high beams (even tho I hate this personally), signal lights or a separate DRL lig

if you don’t have your mav why are you answering this question?

mavericks have their low beams on 24/7 (unless you have lariat) and no one can figure out forscan yet to keep just the indicators on instead. (Including myself)
Sponsored