MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The other day I was talking with a group of guys and telling them about the First Edition Rapid Red Maverick I was waiting to get built. OTD price with taxes, fees and everything is $35,400 and was given an offer of $60,000 when it comes in. Guy said he would put it in writing and get it notarized.
Youā€™d be crazy not to take that.
Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Point proves itself šŸ˜‚
You didnā€™t really answer how, in your opinion, it should be handled? Say John Doe gets his Maverick after waiting 13 months. Heā€™s never driven one, and he hates it after 2 weeks. He canā€™t get comfortable in the seat, and the ride is stiffer than he wanted.

Whatā€™s John to do?

rlhdweman

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Caddy Fleetwood,73 Caddy Sedan,75 Eldorado Conv
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In Canada we are signing a contract with Ford, before taking possession of the new Maverick, that we WONā€™T flip itā€¦..especially not across the border. Go figureā€¦
My paperwork here in Wisconsin that I had to sign stated I wouldn't sell/flip it for 6 months, no problem for me, I have told a couple people that inquired that it is NOT for sale, wait like the majority of us had to. Now if someone wants to pay alot for one of my older vehicles I may bite, in fact I have an offer of $5K for my 04 Taurus, I am going to take that, even though I would rather keep it.

yb98

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 camery & 22 XL AWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
if i buy 4 mavs and sell 3 to pay for the 4th wont the balance sheet be even and i wouldnt pay any capital gains?

Stevo

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Stevo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was offered 46k for my first edition hybrid...too bad I dont have it yet or else I would have taken the money and ran with it. We'll see what happens when I get it, then if I sell it, i have to wait another year and pay 10% more for the next factory order. Plus, I am getting 18mpg off my current ford, so not really sure if it is worth to sell if after all.

Sponsored

Bbot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL
If you have money buy one with not left on the loan.. sure you can make some money. It will come down more. Wait them out.
And remember if you pay more than MSRP and total the truck the insurance company will Not pay you the difference and if you finance it you will still owe the Complete amount.

Johnkn

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, Viper, 66 Shelby, 68.5 CJ Mustang, Pantera
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
if i buy 4 mavs and sell 3 to pay for the 4th wont the balance sheet be even and i wouldnt pay any capital gains?
LOL, I'm afraid it doesn't work that way......

Pacman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜06 Ranger
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You didnā€™t really answer how, in your opinion, it should be handled? Say John Doe gets his Maverick after waiting 13 months. Heā€™s never driven one, and he hates it after 2 weeks. He canā€™t get comfortable in the seat, and the ride is stiffer than he wanted.

Whatā€™s John to do?
Earlier you pointed out that I donā€™t know this guyā€™s situation (the actual person who posted the FB Marketplace ad). Thatā€™s true. Maybe thereā€™s some extenuating circumstances that are putting him in a position where he needs money. If soā€”fine.
In the John Doe scenarioā€”okay, he doesnā€™t like the truck. Sell it. He can decide how much more to sell it for.
Same with your dadā€™s truck. I get it. If someone offered you that, only a fool wouldnā€™t take it.

All that said, when dealerships are marking up unwanted Mavericks a few grand, most of us agree thatā€™s reasonable. But when dealerships mark them up an exorbitant amount because they figure someone will pay, it seems like most of us on this forum are calling it greedā€”taking advantage of a situation of extreme shortage in supply. I just think the same thing applies to individuals, too.

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You can not like something, but not be asking for someone to step in and stop it. I don't like the flipping, big mark ups, and used cars costing more than new. That's private party and dealers. But I am not asking someone to step in. It's the current market it'll correct eventually.

Jmav2152

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Mav, 15' KTM 1190 ADV R, 19' Husq TE250i
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
And remember if you pay more than MSRP and total the truck the insurance company will Not pay you the difference and if you finance it you will still owe the Complete amount.
This is proven to be false on many accounts. And even if so, that's what GAP insurance is for.

Sponsored

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Where did you get that info? My dad totaled his 2021 Kia Forte GT in March. He paid $24,500 for it in April 2021. Insurance paid him $28,000 in the settlement.

Insurance pays you a value they calculate based on what they call "comps" - as in comparable vehicles for sale in your area. In that case, you'd be looking at way over MSRP everywhere.

Last edited:

Edge Haley

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Edge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PORSCHE
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Paying that kind of markup will take a couple of years to recover the Markup. Especially when you want to sell it.

14mustangNJ

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT FX4, 2014 Ford Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
This doesnā€™t look like a quick flip to me. 3,400 miles seems like the owner had quite some time in the driverā€™s seat. Itā€™s really a small truck thatā€™s cheap and there are compromises. If the owner drove larger vehicles before or something loaded with comfort and tech, I could see this being a mistake to them. For me, I love smaller vehicles and didnā€™t want a large behemoth of a truck again so the Maverick is perfect for me.

Canā€™t blame the owner, if the market bears it, then I donā€™t see the issue. Only way to change that is for more Mavericks to saturate the market.

MLowe05

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tesla MYP & M3RWD
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Autos are not eligible for capital losses, so no.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.