Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer Limited; 2023 Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Explorer update: She lives!!!

For the first time in months, the Explorer is not in deep sleep mode and we see it being moved around the dealership (yes, I regularly check the FordPass app to see its status). The vehicle was reporting the software was being updated up until a few minutes ago. So, light at the end of the tunnel?

As an aside, my salesman called me yesterday to tell me he is no longer in sales and was promoted to finance manager but that he was still going to personally see to my vehicle being delivered to me as soon as Ford received the "fix".
Sponsored

OP
OP
commadorebob

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Edit: Maybe not...

After giving up hope that we would get any news any time soon, the dealership called today.

The Explorer is fixed!!!!!!!

It still needs to be cleaned, so they plan to drive it to the house tomorrow morning to swap out the loaner once it has been detailed.

As for the Maverick, I have managed to get the Eco Coach and the Speed Limit signs turned on. I have gotten mostly positive comments about the truck with people expressing the same thing I have: the size is perfect.

Last edited:

campngolf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cmax
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Let me check the temp in he!!. ;) Hopefully your patience is rewarded with many, many years of trouble-free miles from the Explorer.

OP
OP
commadorebob

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Or not. :cautious:

We'll see in the morning...

Ranch

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Marverick FX4 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Edit: Maybe not...

After giving up hope that we would get any news any time soon, the dealership called today.

The Explorer is fixed!!!!!!!

It still needs to be cleaned, so they plan to drive it to the house tomorrow morning to swap out the loaner once it has been detailed.

As for the Maverick, I have managed to get the Eco Coach and the Speed Limit signs turned on. I have gotten mostly positive comments about the truck with people expressing the same thing I have: the size is perfect.
Did they replace the camera or was it a software fix.

I got's to know.

Sponsored

OP
OP
commadorebob

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did they replace the camera or was it a software fix.

I got's to know.
Don't know. I'm guessing just the software considering he called me back to hours later and told me he couldn't actually deliver it and he was going to ask why he was initially told different.

OP
OP
commadorebob

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So...

Went to the dealership this morning to have a conversation and to rant. First off, the person who made the repair, the person who called me, and the general manager all came to speak to me as soon as I stated my name. They knew exactly why I was there.

The general manager immediately apologized before I said anything. The guy who called me said that as soon as he called me the second time, he turned to his manager and said, "that is the most embarrassing call I have ever had to make." They even argued before calling me as to whether or not just let me have the Explorer rather than own it.

But they did. They owned their mistake. It was 100% a breakdown in communication. They also agreed Ford's policy is a little silly given that I could trade it in and the next guy could drive it. Though, they did correct me that only applies to trading it in at a non-Ford dealership.

They very respectfully listened to my rant and apologized throughout. The general manager told me that Ford announced at the dealer conference this week that the final fix will be available September 15 and they have put my Explorer at the top of the list. He said he will have the Explorer taken to a detailer to have it practically reflective for when I pick it up after it is fixed.

Throughout the entire conversation, there was genuine embarrassment and regret. They made a mistake and they owned it. So, I will give them that much credit.

At the end of the day, I blame Ford. This is a fix that shouldn't have taken this long given that you have known about it for almost two years now. Get your house in order so dealerships don't have to take the heat for your failures.

I'll update on this once September rolls around. In the meantime, I am greatly enjoying the Maverick.

campngolf

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cmax
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Sounds like major frustration all around. At least the dealer folks owned up to their mistakes. That type of action is becoming more rare these days.

skadizzle

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat BAP
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I see they sprayed right up to the rear window. Hopefully that doesn't affect the installation of a tonneau cover. Most usually have a seal that gets installed along that edge. I have no experience with trying to install a seal on the Line-X material. I suppose you will find out if you go that route.

The factory SIBL stops at the top of the vertical edge and leaves paint along the flat surface next to the rear window.
My Rhinoliner goes up to the rear window and I had no problem installing the seal for the tonneau cover. The adhesive is pretty strong and then the frame gets mounted right on top of it to hold it down so I don't ever see it coming loose.

Bob The Builder

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Cherokee ** 2023 Mav FX/4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Love the look of Bob's Bedliner for sure, but......

Looks like I am having to go with the modular bed liner. Not a bad setup IMHO, but not my first choice. I just found out yesterday that the only SIBL place in the whole state was destroyed in the July floods and has closed for good. Yes, none in the whole state, we live in the Middle Ages in a lot of ways up here north of the woodchucks. :ROFLMAO:

My dealer told me I can get 20% off all Ford Accessories on first order so I can get the bed liner for $150 bucks with the discount and Ford Pass points. Too good to pass up.

Sponsored

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm seriously considering not adding the tonneau. This weekend was likely the one weekend I would ever need it as future long trips will take place in the Explorer, which has ample interior cargo space. I'll only ever use the trucks for truck things and Boy Scout camping. Neither of which necessitates a tonneau.
I love the soft roll tonneau cover because it takes up zero space when rolled up and away, which it is 90% of the time for me in the spring, summer, and fall. During the wet winter where the bed may not dry for weeks - I'll likely keep the cover on so the kids have a place to put their backpacks and such.

JimParker256

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Area 51 Hybrid FE, 2014 Impala
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Aw, come on... Here in Texas, we drive further to go out to dinner than you would have to go to visit three other states. 🤣 But seriously, surely there's a SIBL place within range!

OP
OP
commadorebob

commadorebob

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I love the soft roll tonneau cover because it takes up zero space when rolled up and away, which it is 90% of the time for me in the spring, summer, and fall. During the wet winter where the bed may not dry for weeks - I'll likely keep the cover on so the kids have a place to put their backpacks and such.
I'm wavering. I think I might get a cover after all. Even with the Explorer for longer family trips, it might make sense to put my personal gear in a covered bed for camping trips.

710-oil-614

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I'm wavering. I think I might get a cover after all. Even with the Explorer for longer family trips, it might make sense to put my personal gear in a covered bed for camping trips.
I was convinced that I wasn't going to like the Truxedo Truxport design (from Ford accessories) because it sits on top of the bed rails as opposed to flush, or near flush, however I had FordPass points that covered all but $44.38 of the purchase so....that was the choice.

Hasn't been an issue aesthetically for me at all, uncovered or covered, and as a result of sitting on top of the rails instead of flush it doesn't eat any bed space on the rails or front to back.

BTW - your Dad's F-150 is peak Americana, the pinnacle of F-series in my mind (a new F-150 Tremor w/5.0 Coyote withstanding), just a beautiful truck.
Sponsored