Sponsored

Boat launching

Kokomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta, Toyota prius
Has anyone pulled a boat out of the water with their maverick hybrid. Can you get enough traction?
Sponsored

Delbert

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Forester, honda Accord Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was spreading gravel on the berm out of a utility trailer on my 20 percent grade paved driveway. It was miserable. The truck really did not get enough traction. All I was carrying was 600 lbs.

All I could think is, "This is not the vehicle to pull much of a boat up a ramp."

Good thing Ford decided to only put the towing package on the all wheel drive trucks. I have a hybrid.

CG - All the way

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, 2005, 2500 Diesel, 22 Lariat, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
A 20 percent grade is more than you will find on at least 95 percent of the boat ramps..... Also almost all boat ramps are cement, not gravel as it sounds like your driveway may be.
Driver can check out the boat ramps if it is a lake and find the lowest grade. Ramps on streams/rivers are also not usually steep. FWD may also get you above the wet portion of the boat ramp where waves or previous exits have gotten the lower portion wet.

I have not yet used my Maverick, not yet arrived, for a boat ramp. I do not think it will be a big problem with good ramp choice and boat less than 1500 lbs.

Probity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Scab 2.7EB, 2017 CR-V
Slimy concrete boat ramps, all-season tires and FWD only definitely not a good combo for boat launch/recovery. Even changing to more aggressive tire tread may not do the trick. Reasonably graded concrete ramps w/o lots of algae likely fine though. Totally your judgement call.

aitch-2-oh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus X
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

+1 for correct use of ‘concrete’!

Sponsored

aitch-2-oh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus X
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

No, more of a 'shade tree mechanic', but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once! Does that count?

Transplant

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mazda 3
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The fear of getting stuck on the wrong end of a gravel boat launch with a 1500 lb boat attached to the back of my truck is what drove me to get the EB 4wd Maverick. Fwd is just not good with even a light boat, I have 4 years experience with to back up my statement.

CG - All the way

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, 2005, 2500 Diesel, 22 Lariat, Cactus Gray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Actually, if I had my choice, I would have the "shade tree mechanic" work on my vehicle before the engineer. Not knocking Engineers, just saying...............

Sponsored

ldiluzio

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I had a Tacoma rwd and my boat is 2900 lb. loaded. The tow rating for the Tacoma was 3600 lb. and i only experienced one time an issue when I pulled out of a ramp that it slipped on the slippery concrete a couple times till it caught and pulled right out. Unfortunately, the Tacoma was totaled in an accident, and I ordered the Awd xlt with tow package. That will give me 1100 lb. to play with and AWD to pull. My advice is just pick the best ramp to use. I have been to many and found the best 3 in my area. Have a great day on the water!!

aitch-2-oh

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taurus X
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Uh oh…tilting towards ‘time to pile on the engineers’, who I enjoyed working with over a long career. One, perhaps as many as 2, even had a sense of humor! [rim shot optional]

thad17

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
SoFL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I walk now
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Posted this to another thread.

I have an XLT hybrid that I use to pull my Boston Whaler Montauk 150 (Hull 950lbs, Engine 250lbs Trailer 500lbs, and other 250lbs). Loaded to go fishing it might be just at the 2k limit. I have used dry, wet, and muddy ramps here in Miami/South Florida and never had an issue. Recently sold the boat and I am searching for another boat in the same weight range. Here are some pictures for reference. Be sure to pick your ramps, and be smart about it as with any tow vehicle. No issues here!

Oh, I also have about 16 years of experience pulling campers, work trailers, boats, etc. 4x4 or AWD will not make up for stupid decisions.

Ford Maverick Boat launching IMG-9706 (1)

Ford Maverick Boat launching IMG-9708 (1)
Sponsored