First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Fusion Energi(lease), 2006 Mustang GT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I ordered and received the AVS Bugflector II but haven't installed it yet. I'm hesitant for two reasons. #1, I feel this still has the misaligned mounting holes (I just got it and haven't opened it yet, but it was in stock so I'm guessing it's the same stock as others have gotten) that won't line up, and #2, after seeing and loving the LED light strip DIY mod for under the hood & ontop of the grill, someone has said having a hood deflector mounted will hide the light. So that's really deflating. Gonna open it today to see if the holes are off. If so, I'm calling and sending it back. Gonna order the light strip today to do along with that custom plug for the passenger marker light. đź‘Ť
Sponsored

clos0791

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Lariat, Alto Blue AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I went with the AVS Bugflector II after seeing the amount of debris and rot that gets stuck in the areas where there is no tape on the "flush" style ones. Previously had one on my Tacoma that was the flush style and there was a thread on those forums where multiple people removed them only to find permanent damage underneath. Even if you taped off those portions, the chances of condensation getting in are high. Granted, not many people remove them, but I can wipe everything down and wash normally with the Bugflector II and it has a much better lip to it to redirect air. I see it working all the time the way bugs bounce off.

*edit mobile spelling fat finger af
Does it help with rock chips as well?

clos0791

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It’s time for me to buy one, and it’s stressing me out. I feel like the options are just super limited. I don’t like the looks of the one that goes under the hood, and the one I like gets adhered to the hood.
in the event it ever comes off whether accidental or on purpose, how will that tape come off, and how “different” will that paint be having not faded or dulled like the rest of the vehicle?
Anytime you apply an item with 3M tape and leave it for a while, it will be noticeable compared to the rest of the paint when you remove it. This is also true when you apply PPF, unless you apply it to the entire vehicle. PPF is super expensive as well. there is always a trade off. I try and wax my truck often and protect the black plastic as much as I can. I also avoid the highways/freeways as much as possible because of the stones/ rocks hitting the truck at high velocity. Those dump trucks are ruthless if you are behind them, lol.

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Does it help with rock chips as well?
Depends on the size of the rock lol.

Too many variables to say that it does or it doesn't. Usually, not much will. All this does is redirect the airflow a bit. The more flat ones will provide more coverage to a surface area for things like rock chips but then you have that gap between them where surface debree will build up. The only solution to avoid that scenario is the ppf style ones - which are thinner.

Personally, bugs were more of a factor for me than rocks - even on Montana back roads. You could always apply a ppf film and then get the bug deflector to redirect that airflow a bit - that may be the best medium. Totally up to you.

Sponsored

clos0791

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Depends on the size of the rock lol.

Too many variables to say that it does or it doesn't. Usually, not much will. All this does is redirect the airflow a bit. The more flat ones will provide more coverage to a surface area for things like rock chips but then you have that gap between them where surface debree will build up. The only solution to avoid that scenario is the ppf style ones - which are thinner.

Personally, bugs were more of a factor for me than rocks - even on Montana back roads. You could always apply a ppf film and then get the bug deflector to redirect that airflow a bit - that may be the best medium. Totally up to you.
Thanks. Appreciate it.

BradnChristine

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU; 2019 MX-5; 2023 & 2024 Mavericks
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Montana

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So did I. Can hardly see it with Alto Blue, as it blends in so well. I don't intend to remove it, so not worried about discoloring. It does a good job of protecting that leading edge of the hood. Mine has been on for around 6 months.
Yea that's a solid color choice for this kind of stuff. It really does look amazing (y)

JP4AZ

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Hybrid MAV, 04 Dakota 4x4, 02 Lexus, 03 V-Rod +
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I like this deflector better because 1. it sits off the hood, no contact to the paint. 2. It protects the side fenders too.
I just installed my deflector last week. I only had to enclarge 1 hole. I am happy with the overall fit and finish. I used the push pins provided in the box. I ordered mine on ebay. Saved $10 shipping over Real Truck (who would not give a discount for this forum)
I suggest these guys:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/285164156748

Ford Maverick Best Hood Bug / Rock Deflector? 20231028_152022_resized_1
Sponsored