Bed tent recommendations for Maverick?

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HCH2, Hybrid XLT on order
If the rail height is 20.3 inches, a frame that was 40.6 inches across could support a platform 8ft by 8ft to put a tent on use piano hinges or whatever to allow rotating 2 4x8 sheets from vertical to horizontal. Put supports/stabilizers and a frame in the right place use the integral threaded rod slots as anchors, make it as complex or simple as you like, just stay below the load limit while it’s moving.

be creative
Sponsored

BDennis

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, E450 Leprechaun
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You would need to build a deck with pull out drawers for storage underneath and a fold out hing extension with supports that use the tailgate down for support to make it at a 6’ 6” deck.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You would need to build a deck with pull out drawers for storage underneath and a fold out hing extension with supports that use the tailgate down for support to make it at a 6’ 6” deck.
But as I described above why not go all out and do 8x8. ;)

my point is simply that you are limited by your knowledge of how to make something rigid and safe while staying under the load limit. If you put on outrigger supports then you can ignore the weight of people and only worry about the load limit while the truck is moving.

my liftgator uses this principle. The tongueweight never exceeds 200lbs but it can lift up to 1800 lbs (more than the Maverick is rated to carry) because the weight is on the stabilizers.

a tent/camper can do the same thing.

oljackfrost

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all sold, waiting for Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Here's a video of someone who used the oversized tent cot. It's what I'm thinking of doing possibly. Way cheaper than those truck bed tent set ups
Note that this rig is sitting on a couple of 2x4s instead of a heavy sheet of plywood.

bpcooper14

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Nissan Frontier
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Note that this rig is sitting on a couple of 2x4s instead of a heavy sheet of plywood.
This could work well with the flex bed system. Simple and low cost while still snowing done functional space in the bed for storage.

Sponsored

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I don’t understand the desire to sleep on the roof of your SUV or in the bed of a mini truck… why not put a tent on the ground? Or get a camper?
For almost every single person I know who owns one, a roof/bed tent is signaling; as in, they have literally never been used. It's pretty much obligatory around here if you are soccer mom with a 4-runner.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would only make 2 changes to that setup: 1: I don’t like the Idea of strapping to sheet metal 2: I would ensure those inner braces wend all the way down to the bed so just add 4 2x 6 x6inch blocks so that the weight rested on the bed rather than the 2x6 that’s just me.

back when I could walk and was a diver, we just hung up hammocks made of paracord and used the tents as wind/weather breaks and conserve warmth. Now that would just be a light frame to support the hammocks and graphite rods to keep the shell expanded like a yurt.

bgn

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Bed and rooftop tents never made any sense to me, unless you're in grizzly country or something.

My buddy is looking to drop 2-3k on one...because they set up quickly. Because the $150 instant ground tents don't?...lol.

ToyotaTurncoat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off-Road
To the OP, do you have mich experience with camping? It sounds like maybe you're just getting into it, which is awesome, but if that's the case I'd recommend getting a basic on-the-ground tent and trying that. They are cheaper and set up quickly, and you're not limited in size. It is really nice having a larger tent, especially when I have my dog with me. Not talking about a gigantic mansion tent, just a four person with some nice headroom.

I don't really get the truck-mounted tent trend. I know a lot of it is marketing. It looks cool and exudes outdoorsiness, but for most of the situations I've seen them in it doesn't seem practical. With a traditional tent you can set it up, go out and drive around and explore an area while leaving your camp untouched.

That being said I have slept in the bed of my truck on occasion and the simplicity is nice, but that was just a sleeping bag and pad, no tent. Also no dog.

Sponsored

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To the OP, do you have mich experience with camping? It sounds like maybe you're just getting into it, which is awesome, but if that's the case I'd recommend getting a basic on-the-ground tent and trying that. They are cheaper and set up quickly, and you're not limited in size. It is really nice having a larger tent, especially when I have my dog with me. Not talking about a gigantic mansion tent, just a four person with some nice headroom.

I don't really get the truck-mounted tent trend. I know a lot of it is marketing. It looks cool and exudes outdoorsiness, but for most of the situations I've seen them in it doesn't seem practical. With a traditional tent you can set it up, go out and drive around and explore an area while leaving your camp untouched.

That being said I have slept in the bed of my truck on occasion and the simplicity is nice, but that was just a sleeping bag and pad, no tent. Also no dog.
Hope you are short if you do the Maverick that way, though putting the tailgate at an angle and using it as a back/pillow rest would allow for some better extension

for a while I was homeless and lived in the back of a Plymouth hatchback with the back seat removed and I tilted the front seat forward todo the same. Fortunately I was also a student at the Tarrant County Community College system and the officers were nice enough to let me pack next to a parking light in the lot on days/nights I had classes. Very cool of them.
Point is If I could do it in a hatchback, it can be done in a Maverick.

GaMaverick

2.0L EcoBoost
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hope you are short if you do the Maverick that way, though putting the tailgate at an angle and using it as a back/pillow rest would allow for some better extension

for a while I was homeless and lived in the back of a Plymouth hatchback with the back seat removed and I tilted the front seat forward todo the same. Fortunately I was also a student at the Tarrant County Community College system and the officers were nice enough to let me pack next to a parking light in the lot on days/nights I had classes. Very cool of them.
Point is If I could do it in a hatchback, it can be done in a Maverick.
The video I saw of the dealer measuring showed the bed is 6’7” with tailgate down. A welcome surprise indeed.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The video I saw of the dealer measuring showed the bed is 6’7” with tailgate down. A welcome surprise indeed.
As I have stated previously, the measurements I have listed are from Ford. If you want to believe a guy who can’t measure (his tape is not perpendicular to the bed front rail) and hope on that. go for it.

I will take my expectations from published Ford Literature first.

stoptothink

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW jetta
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Bed and rooftop tents never made any sense to me, unless you're in grizzly country or something.

My buddy is looking to drop 2-3k on one...because they set up quickly. Because the $150 instant ground tents don't?...lol.
Exactly. We actually camp, 8-10 times a year as a family, more if you count my trips with my buddies. My wife recently asked a neighbor (who I don't think camps at all) why they like sleeping on their roof as opposed to the ground...crickets. A few minutes later I showed her on my phone how much they cost:eek: No better way to signal to others that you are an outdoorsman than an expensive, pointless, fuel efficiency-draining tent permanently affixed to the top or bed of your truck.

Rkbrumbelow

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Exactly. We actually camp, 8-10 times a year as a family, more if you count my trips with my buddies. My wife recently asked a neighbor (who I don't think camps at all) why they like sleeping on their roof as opposed to the ground...crickets. A few minutes later I showed her on my phone how much they cost:eek: No better way to signal to others that you are an outdoorsman than an expensive, pointless, fuel efficiency-draining tent permanently affixed to the top or bed of your truck.
I grew up in TX. Once woke up with a rattlesnake on my chest (I was warm I guess) so I have this thing about sleeping on the ground. However I am also all about the multitasker so we made some survivorcord (think paracord on roids as it contains wire, tinder and fishing line also) hammocks. We can use them for injury transport in CERT or hammocks for sleeping when camping. Bonus: I don’t have to be on the ground. Am still in a tent, just use hammocks on a frame instead of a mat.
Sponsored