David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Hi Everyone,

Was just telling a friend that I probably won't get my Hybrid Lariat until early next year because Ford is only building 35% hybrids. I told him how people are getting impatient and changing their orders to the 2.0 EcoBoost.

That got me to wondering if Ford is playing a bait & switch. They are advertising the Maverick as the first truck available with standard hybrid powertrain, but they are devoting 65% of production to the 2.0 EcoBoost.

Seems that 65% of the pre-orders are hybrid, but Ford isn't changing their plans for building the Maverick.

I'm sure that the hybrid costs way more to build than the 2.0, but they are charging more for the 2.0.

When you add the 2.0 Ecoboost for a little over $1,000, that opens up more costly add-ons (AWD/4K Tow/FX4).

Just wondering what all of your thoughts are.
Sponsored

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I dont know if the hybrid costs more to build, but I suspect that the production line is more complex/unique than the 2.0. I do imagine that higher trims with their larger margins get priority, but I also think it was probably quicker to set up production on the 2.0.

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
In a word? No. Was it a calculated move? Of course - but not for those reasons - they are a large business that has to make business decisions and stick with them. I think we agree the Maverick is a winner here, but they can only make so many vehicles per year. At the end of the day they have to make business decisions about what they have the capability to build, put the product out and see what sells.

If the Hybrid orders keep coming and the 2.0 sales wane, I guarantee within a year or two we'll see the hybrid AWD, and a fully electric variant to go with it. These things simply take time, and the market is an old one being made new - the path has to be charted without any maps.

OP
OP
IndianaWildcat

IndianaWildcat

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I dont know if the hybrid costs more to build, but I suspect that the production line is more complex/unique than the 2.0. I do imagine that higher trims with their larger margins get priority, but I also think it was probably quicker to set up production on the 2.0.
Wonder if the hybrid also uses more computer chips.

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Either way it's gonna cost them money. Either fullfill the order and take the lost but gain the popularity or lose both on a class action lawsuit. Lol!

They should just keep their promises and make us happy customers then they can increase their prices next year!

Sponsored

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Wonder if the hybrid also uses more computer chips.
Well, it's got a battery that requires control hardware, so almost certainly.

Overall, there probably is a production bottleneck with the entire hybrid drive train. It's got more stuff going on, and uses hardware (batteries and eCVTs) that are part of a growing market, which means a) a production base that not as established as the traditional train and b) more of that product is needed by not just the Maverick, but a bunch of other cars that are getting built more and more of.

Last edited:

MavrickEcoBoost

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Hi Everyone,

Was just telling a friend that I probably won't get my Hybrid Lariat until early next year because Ford is only building 35% hybrids. I told him how people are getting impatient and changing their orders to the 2.0 EcoBoost.

That got me to wondering if Ford is playing a bait & switch. They are advertising the Maverick as the first truck available with standard hybrid powertrain, but they are devoting 65% of production to the 2.0 EcoBoost.

Seems that 65% of the pre-orders are hybrid, but Ford isn't changing their plans for building the Maverick.

I'm sure that the hybrid costs way more to build than the 2.0, but they are charging more for the 2.0.

When you add the 2.0 Ecoboost for a little over $1,000, that opens up more costly add-ons (AWD/4K Tow/FX4).

Just wondering what all of your thoughts are.
In my opinion is isn't so much that they are plotting again the hybrid powertrain. It is that the EcoSport, Escape, Edge, and Bronco Sport have the 2.0 either standard or as options. The 8 speed is in the Escape and Bronco Sport. This hybrid powertrain is only for this truck. So I think the Eco side just has so many parts ordered that they can fill them faster.

Unlikely_Username

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Sounds pretty ridiculous. Everyone who ordered this truck knows they have to wait for it. You would have to be incredibly impatienr or desperate for a new vehicle to change the engine on your build to get it sooner.

mav_can

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3, 2018 Mustang EB Premium
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
In my opinion is isn't so much that they are plotting again the hybrid powertrain. It is that the EcoSport, Escape, Edge, and Bronco Sport have the 2.0 either standard or as options. The 8 speed is in the Escape and Bronco Sport. This hybrid powertrain is only for this truck. So I think the Eco side just has so many parts ordered that they can fill them faster.
Well, it's got a battery that requires control hardware, so almost certainly.

Overall, there probably is a production bottleneck with the entire hybrid drive train. It's got more stuff going on, and uses hardware (batteries and eCVTs) that are part of a growing market, which means a) a product base that not as established as the traditional train and b) more of that product is needed by not just the Maverick, but a bunch of other cars that are getting built more and more of.
Yes and even more than these reasons, the electric motor used on this hybrid is brand new for Ford and designed/developed (probably also manufactured at Van Dyke) in house. The motor is an improved design over the previous one that they sourced from suppliers. That throws more complication as now FoMoCo proper has to deal with supply constraints etc, instead of offloading that to an ODM.

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Either way it's gonna cost them money. Either fullfill the order and take the lost but gain the popularity or lose both on a class action lawsuit. Lol!

They should just keep their promises and make us happy customers then they can increase their prices next year!
Class action lawsuit? Dramatic much? Have you received confirmation from Ford that your order has been cancelled?

HRG

Sponsored

JsnMrd

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Class action lawsuit? Dramatic much? Have you received confirmation from Ford that your order has been cancelled?

HRG
Chill dude. Twas a joke. Hence the lol! Jeez people are so serious nowadays. Always getting their feelings hurt.

22Mav

Banned
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT/Lariat.. Undecided still :O
The 2.0L in the EcoSport is not an EcoBoost, could you imagine that much power in a lil EcoSport..
EcoSport is 2.0L Ti-VCT GDI I-4 Engine

22Mav

Banned
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick XLT/Lariat.. Undecided still :O
There's no bait and switch going on. You folks need to find a hobby or something else to do with your time. Ford has barely scratched the surface for scheduling, and only started production TWO WEEKS AGO.

Sit back, relax and watch the BOOM in hybrid orders that get scheduled next week and even more into September and throughout the rest of 2021.

Bushmaster2000

First Name
Jones
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Hybrids involve a lot more technology, that's very likely the reason why fewer are being made at a time.

MavrickEcoBoost

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
The 2.0L in the EcoSport is not an EcoBoost, could you imagine that much power in a lil EcoSport..
EcoSport is 2.0L Ti-VCT GDI I-4 Engine
Same engine, all that is different is the turbo.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.