AWD Nice but Not Necessary in Winter

Tennessee

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fiesta ST
Isnt the engine in a fwd weight over the drive wheels ?
So, when you're trying to go up a steep grade the front end gets lighter and lighter while the back end gets heavier and heavier. That's why a two wheel drive truck that's really heavily loaded down can still go up a very steep grade. If the grade is steep enough, front wheel drive will have real problems. Consider that most Continental divide highways are no more than 4% grade. And 8% grade is considered a monster. A 22% grade is kind of stupid, but we just didn't have the means to cut a much longer road with switch backs. We ended up pouring concrete on that section because we just couldn't keep gravel on it.

Gary in NJ

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
I'm a bicyclist, so I'm well aware of the grades on the local and county roads. The county roads in my area can reach 12% grade (I know of many that have short stretches of 14%) and the local roads can see 16%. On these hills (and in my own driveway that is 1/4 mile long with a max grade of 12% following a 90 degree turn) I REQUIRE all four wheels turning. It's funny when some flat lander tells me I don't need AWD or 4WD.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 HPP mustang
I'm a bicyclist, so I'm well aware of the grades on the local and county roads. The county roads in my area can reach 12% grade (I know of many that have short stretches of 14%) and the local roads can see 16%. On these hills (and in my own driveway that is 1/4 mile long with a max grade of 12% following a 90 degree turn) I REQUIRE all four wheels turning. It's funny when some flat lander tells me I don't need AWD or 4WD.
Good Luck...I doubt if it has AWD ...

Last edited:

the1mrb

First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
What? We know it has AWD.
We don't know anything for sure. But I'd say the Maverick having an AWD option is about as concrete as anything we think about it.
For one, there aren't very many vehicles out there nowadays that don't at least offer AWD, so having a small pick-up and not at least offering AWD would be a big sales mistake on Fords part, one I'm sure they won't make. The only vehicle Ford currently makes in the US/CAN that doesn't have an AWD/4WD option is the Transit series, as far as I can tell.
And second, I believe there have been underbody rear end shots that show AWD capable prototypes driving around.

Reactions: Doc

Gary in NJ

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
Yes, I would say we do. First of all the Maverick is being built on the C2 platform, a platform that has spawned an AWD Escape and Bronco. Secondly, we have seen photos of production Mavericks (the trucks we have seen in the last month are early production models) with a rear differential indicating that AWD is indeed available. Lastly, the Santa Cruz is also likely AWD. Ford would be giving a significant market advantage to the direct competition if AWD is not part of the platform.

So yes, the Maverick will have AWD.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2020 HPP mustang
Yes, I would say we do. First of all the Maverick is being built on the C2 platform, a platform that has spawned an AWD Escape and Bronco. Secondly, we have seen photos of production Mavericks (the trucks we have seen in the last month are early production models) with a rear differential indicating that AWD is indeed available. Lastly, the Santa Cruz is also likely AWD. Ford would be giving a significant market advantage to the direct competition if AWD is not part of the platform.

So yes, the Maverick will have AWD.
Where did you see a rear differential shot, I saw different rear suspension shots but that doesn’t guarantee AWD ...I’ll believe it when I See it ..
Regards

Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
Regardless, the point being if you are making a financial choice between AWD and Winter Tires, Winter tires are a better option. Obviously, both would be ideal.

Gary in NJ

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many Subaru's
Regardless, the point being if you are making a financial choice between AWD and Winter Tires, Winter tires are a better option. Obviously, both would be ideal.
Yes, if that works for you in your situation, then that is what you should do. But the title of your thread is just wrong as it only applies to people who live where it doesn't snow, or if it does snow the land is flat. I've never has the luxury of either.

Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
We get lots of snow. I would think it applies to hilly areas that get snow as well.
I know I would rather be driving my FWD vehicle w/Hakka’s than my Dads AWD w/All Seasons up one of the steep hills here in snow.

but no we don’t have hills everywhere.

FTM1

First Name
Fred
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RIDGELINE ACURA 3.2 TL
Just FYI Honda discontinued offering the FWD model for Ridgeline for 2021.
The 2017-2021 offered a FWD version with Traction Management settings for Normal and Snow. The Ridgeline with IVTM4 Torque Vectorng AWD mechanically simular to the Super Handling AWD System in the Acura MDX but tuned differently has Normal Snow Mud Sand modes.
The 2006-2014 Ridgeline all came with 4WD with VTM4 lock button.
But the Torque Vectorng AWD System in Ridgeline is the top AWD System offered by Honda. The price difference was about
$ 1,800 from FWD version. But the Torque Vectorng doesn't only work in Snowy condition it works in All Weather conditions even dry helping the vehicle corner.
I'm sure Ford is not offering their best AWD System in the Maverick. I don't know about. Hyundai HTRAC AWD offered in Santa Cruz.
But sales of FWD Ridgeline probably was issue for Honda to discontinue.
They can easily sell a Pilot with FWD but not Ridgeline.

Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Ranger F350’s
One of Mav’s appeal is price so guessing FWD will not be discontinued. People buying Ridgelines arnt looking for sub 20k trucks. .