Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

We've spied a Ford Maverick prototype, equipped with a new independent rear suspension design, providing our first visual evidence of an AWD variant for the entry-level pickup.

Earlier this year, we managed a detailed look underneath a Maverick prototype which revealed a simple coil-sprung twist beam rear suspensionā€”something befitting a low-cost front-wheel-drive vehicle. Autoblogā€™s analysis noted the similarity to Fordā€™s FWD Transit Connect courier van, and went on to state: ā€œThis configuration as it sits would be incompatible with powered rear axles by virtue of the rear spring location alone, so if there is to be an all-wheel-drive variant, it stands to reason that it would have to use of an entirely different rear subframe.ā€

Well, it appears that weā€™ve now spotted an AWD Maverick prototype with that different rear subframe, made up of a more complex, independent rear suspension design. The new design appears to be an adaptation of the four-wheel-drive Bronco Sport's rear multi-link set-up. The newly-spotted suspension design is a clear departure from the majority of Maverick prototypes running the streets of Dearborn, so it now seems a certainty that the Maverick will pursue a standard FWD strategy, augmented by an optional AWD variant that should yield ride and handling benefits in addition to its better traction.

The independent rear suspensions control arms appear to be enveloped by skid plates, for an added level of protection.

Ford Maverick AWD Ford Maverick Prototype Caught Testing + Independent Rear Suspension MaverickAWD.d07.KGP

Ford Maverick AWD Ford Maverick Prototype Caught Testing + Independent Rear Suspension MaverickAWD.d06.KGP

Ford Maverick AWD Ford Maverick Prototype Caught Testing + Independent Rear Suspension MaverickAWD.d05.KGP

Ford Maverick AWD Ford Maverick Prototype Caught Testing + Independent Rear Suspension MaverickAWD.d04.KGP

Ford Maverick AWD Ford Maverick Prototype Caught Testing + Independent Rear Suspension MaverickAWD.d03.KGP

Ford Maverick AWD Ford Maverick Prototype Caught Testing + Independent Rear Suspension MaverickAWD.d02.KGP

Ford Maverick AWD Ford Maverick Prototype Caught Testing + Independent Rear Suspension MaverickAWD.d08.KGP

Ford Maverick AWD Ford Maverick Prototype Caught Testing + Independent Rear Suspension MaverickAWD.d09.KGP

Ford Maverick AWD Ford Maverick Prototype Caught Testing + Independent Rear Suspension MaverickAWD.d01.KGP
Sponsored

FutureOwnerInTN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV/Car
Engine
Undecided
Thank you...great news. This will allow my idea of the lifts they are offering for the Bronco Sport. From the videos ive seen of the Bronco Sport the AWD will be more than capable of any of the off-roading i plan to do.

Last edited:

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I like how that appears to be the same exhaust system from the FWD model thrown on the AWD prototype and it runs right where through where the rear diff would be sitting. Id love to be in the factory slapping these mules together like this and testing them.

Im honestly not sure which way id go. The front wheel drive works great for most bad weather situations and is far better than my current open diff Grand Marquis. Plus Id just prefer the simple torsion beam rear axle and no complex all wheel drive system anyway. If they can do the awd for cheap enough Ill consider it but Im not looking to pay over $25k. The more it seems to be taking awd inspiration from the Bronco Sport though though the less likely I think that is. I could see prices for this thing easily over $30k for some of the models which (to me) is absolutely ludicrous for something that slots under the Ranger for all its capabilities.

Xtreme Thunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota
I was getting a bit worried only seeing the FWD twist-beam rear suspension. It is nice to see some confirmation it will be available in such AWD and independent rear suspension design configuration.

Last edited:

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
@Administrator delivered šŸ„³

I'm relieved they're also going the AWD route, I'm a bit skeptical of how much weight you'd get over the front wheels and how it would handle on an icy road, not so much a problem on dry, now the question is AWD 3 Cyl or 2.0 2wd? I suspect those would be in the same price range...

Sponsored

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
The price difference for the AWD and the 2.0 ecoboost when adding it to the Escape is very different from each other. AWD when you can option it is only a $1500 option BUT that uses the same rear suspension design setup no matter if its 2wd or AWD (I assume). With this if they use two different rear setups, which I assume they will to keep costs down on the 2wd, it may be more than the $1500.

To get the 2.0 ecoboost optioned in the Escape though its a $3385 option but the choice only exists on the SEL model. So thats a base point to consider for price of that but that could fluctuate im sure.

If they can do the 2.0 and AWD for around a $25k base price that would sell like hotcakes.

MarcusBrody

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect, BMW 318ti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I'm definitely interested in only in the AWD for my uses, so this is good news for me. I actually hadn't considered that it wouldn't be available. I have (what I imagine is) a version of the torsion beam suspension on my Transit Connect and it works well enough while allowing good payload/cargo space packaging attributes, so I'm not against such setups. The angles of the TC's makes it very hard to lift at all though, and I very much want a sand mode on this vehicle for the loose, sandy roads near where I love, so I'l be going AWD if I end up with a Maverick.

DesertMav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Scion FRS, 2007 Toyota Tacoma
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I do like the ability to have the AWD as an option, since I personally would like the AWD so that I can go into the desert and tackle mild trails.

ElMaverick

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Engine
Undecided
Does anyone notice a slight lift on the AWD prototypes compared to the recent front-drive ones?
You're not wrong, the wheel center seems to line up with the bottom of the body where in the other pics it was slightly higher...it could also be that these prototypes don't have the side skirts on? Time for some wheel gap analysis!

Sponsored

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I like how that appears to be the same exhaust system from the FWD model thrown on the AWD prototype and it runs right where through where the rear diff would be sitting. Id love to be in the factory slapping these mules together like this and testing them.

Im honestly not sure which way id go. The front wheel drive works great for most bad weather situations and is far better than my current open diff Grand Marquis. Plus Id just prefer the simple torsion beam rear axle and no complex all wheel drive system anyway. If they can do the awd for cheap enough Ill consider it but Im not looking to pay over $25k. The more it seems to be taking awd inspiration from the Bronco Sport though though the less likely I think that is. I could see prices for this thing easily over $30k for some of the models which (to me) is absolutely ludicrous for something that slots under the Ranger for all its capabilities.
Not for me! Iā€™d gladly pay over $30K for a Maverick Lariat with leather seats, GOAT mode AWD from the baby Bronco, skid plates, etc.

I donā€™t want or need the size of the Ranger, but I do want this to have the options..

If a stripped down version is all thatā€™s available, then Iā€™m out.

Sticker on a fully loaded Ranger Lariat is around $47K (or thatā€™s what mine was), so Iā€™d gladly pay in the upper $30ā€™s for a fully loaded Maverick Lariat.

Last edited:

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Last time I buuil
Not for me! Iā€™d gladly pay over $30K for a Maverick Lariat with leather seats, GOAT mode AWD from the baby Bronco, skid plates, etc.

I donā€™t want or need the size of the Ranger, but I do want this to have the options..

If a stripped down version is all thatā€™s available, then Iā€™m out.

Sticker on a fully loaded Ranger Lariat is around $47K (or thatā€™s what mine was), so Iā€™d gladly pay in the upper $30ā€™s for a fully loaded Maverick Lariat.
Last time I built a Ranger on the website how id want it I think i was right around $32k. The absolute biggest plus the Ranger has for me is you can get it without the crew cab. I loath crew cabs trucks so the Maverick HAS to be priced low for me. If im already sacrificing usable bed room for more useless interior space I wouldn't pay more than $25k or so for how id want the Maverick. Any higher priced and it makes no sense since you could get similarly equipped Rangers for only a little more and have a better truck in every way.

If they can give me a basic model with the 2.0 engine and AWD at or below the $25k mark we're golden. I dont want any gimmicky self driving crap and lane departure warnings and all that nonsense. Give me the most basic interior options you can. As long as I get my preferred better powertrain Im good.

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Last time I buuil

Last time I built a Ranger on the website how id want it I think i was right around $32k. The absolute biggest plus the Ranger has for me is you can get it without the crew cab. I loath crew cabs trucks so the Maverick HAS to be priced low for me. If im already sacrificing usable bed room for more useless interior space I wouldn't pay more than $25k or so for how id want the Maverick. Any higher priced and it makes no sense since you could get similarly equipped Rangers for only a little more and have a better truck in every way.

If they can give me a basic model with the 2.0 engine and AWD at or below the $25k mark we're golden. I dont want any gimmicky self driving crap and lane departure warnings and all that nonsense. Give me the most basic interior options you can. As long as I get my preferred better powertrain Im good.
But there are a lot of buyers like me who like the crew cab, want the bells and whistles and would prefer a smaller truck than the Ranger. Why would Ford want to leave that on the table? šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø

if a tricked out, loaded Maverick came in at say $38K, that would still be about $10K less than a similar Ranger.

For buyers like me, itā€™s size more than price. I like the size of the Maverick, I just want Ford to build a real off-road capable truck in a trim level Iā€™d be interested in.

Basic has never been in my vocabulary when it comes to vehicles

ghost1986

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Grand Marquis
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
If I wanted to spend $38k, hell, I could actually go right past the Ranger and build an F150 exactly how I wanted. Ive toyed with that idea MANY times too. Regular cab, V8, 4wd and the FX4 package. Basically perfection right there. I just cannot see the value proposition on spending that much on a vehicle purchase though. Its completely absurd how pricey cars have gotten.

For the Maverick Ill probably go as low model as I can go just to avoid those silly "nanny" electronic systems that are difficult to disable(and ill still have to figure out how to disable the start-stop and A/C, I already know that). For me the best thing that could ever happen is to wait and see what they're planning for a fleet model. I can only assume at the price point(and honestly the low capability point itll be) the Maverick will be a goldmine for fleet usage. Im SUPER excited to what kind of stuff the aftermarket makes for goodies to make it into a good usable hauler for materials and equipment. My first priority would be some sort a roof rack/ladder rack combo to use for longer items like lumber/ladders/recreational equipment on top of it. Also I hope they do something like the Tacoma does and do a rear seat delete option to save me the time of throwing that stuff out. Build a nice beefy storage box in the rear for tools and whatnot.

As far as the size thing too, isnt a new ranger only like 210" long? Its only like 6" longer than the old Ranger. I dont foresee the Maverick being too noticeably smaller than that. Maybe a foot at BEST. I mean even the old single cab Ranger was 189" long. Do people honestly think its going to be in that size range? What I DO see is the Maverick being a lot less capable in every respect than the Ranger platform. Ive said it many times, a lot of people are aiming for the moon with the Maverick and i think a lot of people are going to be disappointed in relation to the supposed price point they're aiming for.

------

Also to keep it back on topic of these different subframes I find it very odd they would develop two different rear suspension designs for such a cheap little budget truck like this. I wonder if the torsion beam was just a thrown together thing for testing and the more normal wishbone is a newer design closer to what the Maverick will actually get (on all the models). I just cant fathom how its more cost effective to offer two entirely different subframe and suspension setups on the same model of vehicle like this. My only counterargument to this is MAYBE they plan this thing to be a huge fleet seller and across a bunch of those a seperate FWD setup with a torsion beam setup would make sense. Otherwise I dont really see the FWD models being a big enough seller to even warrant the need of two different rear setups.

Edit: Or wait.... Does the FWD Escape and what not use this same torsion beam setup already? I hadnt thought of that really.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

TruckGuySC

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
If I wanted to spend $38k, hell, I could actually go right past the Ranger and build an F150 exactly how I wanted. Ive toyed with that idea MANY times too. Regular cab, V8, 4wd and the FX4 package. Basically perfection right there. I just cannot see the value proposition on spending that much on a vehicle purchase though. Its completely absurd how pricey cars have gotten.

For the Maverick Ill probably go as low model as I can go just to avoid those silly "nanny" electronic systems that are difficult to disable(and ill still have to figure out how to disable the start-stop and A/C, I already know that). For me the best thing that could ever happen is to wait and see what they're planning for a fleet model. I can only assume at the price point(and honestly the low capability point itll be) the Maverick will be a goldmine for fleet usage. Im SUPER excited to what kind of stuff the aftermarket makes for goodies to make it into a good usable hauler for materials and equipment. My first priority would be some sort a roof rack/ladder rack combo to use for longer items like lumber/ladders/recreational equipment on top of it. Also I hope they do something like the Tacoma does and do a rear seat delete option to save me the time of throwing that stuff out. Build a nice beefy storage box in the rear for tools and whatnot.

As far as the size thing too, isnt a new ranger only like 210" long? Its only like 6" longer than the old Ranger. I dont foresee the Maverick being too noticeably smaller than that. Maybe a foot at BEST. I mean even the old single cab Ranger was 189" long. Do people honestly think its going to be in that size range? What I DO see is the Maverick being a lot less capable in every respect than the Ranger platform. Ive said it many times, a lot of people are aiming for the moon with the Maverick and i think a lot of people are going to be disappointed in relation to the supposed price point they're aiming for.

------

Also to keep it back on topic of these different subframes I find it very odd they would develop two different rear suspension designs for such a cheap little budget truck like this. I wonder if the torsion beam was just a thrown together thing for testing and the more normal wishbone is a newer design closer to what the Maverick will actually get (on all the models). I just cant fathom how its more cost effective to offer two entirely different subframe and suspension setups on the same model of vehicle like this. My only counterargument to this is MAYBE they plan this thing to be a huge fleet seller and across a bunch of those a seperate FWD setup with a torsion beam setup would make sense. Otherwise I dont really see the FWD models being a big enough seller to even warrant the need of two different rear setups.

Edit: Or wait.... Does the FWD Escape and what not use this same torsion beam setup already? I hadnt thought of that really.
I certainly hope youā€™re wrong... they make a ā€œcheap & cheerfulā€ stripped down Ranger all the way to the Lariat. Same as the F-150, why would they make this vehicle any different? šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø

I think it will be noticeably smaller than the Ranger... think of the cool and weird Subaru BRAT, just more capable and wo the weird. šŸ˜†

a friend of mine bought a BRAT. He didnā€™t need/want a pickup w a bed even the size of the original Ranger. He said that BRAT was the best vehicle he ever owned. Drove it until it wouldnā€™t go anymore (and thatā€™s a long time for a Subaru!)

Subaru replaced the BRAT w the boring Baja, and lost their audience/market..

maybe this market is one of them Ford is hoping to bring back.

if Subaru brought the BRAT back, Iā€™d buy it!
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc