First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight, E350, Toyota Sequoia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Humbly disagree. They may have started planning pre-COVID but the chip shortage was well known BEFORE they announced and opened the ordering on 8 June of 2021. COVID was already over a year old so I don't think you can blame COVID on this failure to communicate.
But you missed the part where I said they want to dominate that market segment. That means accumulating orders before Hyundai could accumulate orders. NO company is going to tell you all their plans because when they tell you the competition is also listening.
Sponsored

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lexus ES300h Ultra Luxury
But you missed the part where I said they want to dominate that market segment. That means accumulating orders before Hyundai could accumulate orders. NO company is going to tell you all their plans because when they tell you the competition is also listening.
True, I wasn't debating you on that part as I know nothing about that vehicle. I was only pointing out the chip shortage existed before the Maverick was announced and orders started being received.

But what you've said makes total sense.

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Break out your fountain pen and write him a snail mail letter.
I found this on his Twitter feed. This is hilarious. Do you think he knows there won't be any Mavericks there? Let's not tell the dumb ass.

Ford Maverick August 2021 Ford Maverick Production Numbers Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 19.37.26

JKinPA

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mountaineer
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

PLEASE TAKE THIS IN THE CONTEXT THAT I AM NOT ATTACKING YOU!!

I use to work for the Fisher Body Div of GM years ago and have never owned a Ford product in my life. I have owned Hillman(English), AMX, Lotus, MGB's, Plymouth Duster, Audi, Fiero's, Pontiac GrandAm, Odyssey, Saturn's, Suburban, Sequoia,

All this planning for a new build was started prior to the pandemic. No one can predict the future, the production of chips included. We all have every right to go buy another vehicle or a used car that already has a chip in it. Why aren't people here, on the forum sites of GM, Chrysler (Stellantis), Hyundai etc. because they are all having the same issue, a shortage of chips and other commodities. WE seem to have lost our patience with everything.

So, Maybe they, Ford, should just shut everything down and wait. Send everybody home and have them collect unemployment checks.

All this was put into motion months ago. They, Ford,are steering a large vessel while you and I are only steering a small paddle boat. They are a $140 Billion company that is investing $27 Billion into electric cars. They also want to dominate the truck market(which is their strength). That ship takes a long time to change direction. Each decision affects many people on that ship which numbers over 180,000. Yes, dollars in sales support that ship, but you still can not get what is not available and its unavailability was not predictable.

Contracts already signed and being implemented by the Advertising Agencies and vendors and then the demand surpasses your expectations...and people don't want to go back to work because they can make more being unemployed, and not pay rent because of government policies.

We need to look at the total environment rather than concentrating on what may affect us personally. Given that we have the freedom to buy another vehicle, FOMOCO is not responsible for my happiness or ANYONE'S. If anyone is not happy with this aspect of the marriage they can either work their way through it, or get a divorce. I understand the passion for this product and I want to be a part of it so I will wait. My wait time is longer than most I bet because I did not hear about the Maverick until late July. I initially ordered 2.0 EB w/4K towing. (So I know disappointment). WE can't always get what we want and I have to get another truck to tow, but I WILL NOT RELINQUISH MY MAVERICK SPOT. I think this vehicle is that important in so many ways.

The ship is plowing through the rough water. They want to deliver more than any of us wish to take delivery because they want to dominate the truck and stock market. The more vehicles seen drives future sales. Did they fumble the ball, NO! they are still moving toward to goal line.

Maybe I should be encouraging all that are disappointed to jump ship; that would push me towards the front of the line. Just hang in there because when the dealer calls you and says your truck is in, all this disappointment will be washed away and you will say it was worth the wait.
Truth right here. They canā€™t share what they donā€™t know. Trust me I work in supply chain and itā€™s a cluster for reasons mentioned and more. If they start making commitments and fail to deliver that would be catastrophic And destroy all credibility.
They donā€™t know what they donā€™t know and the worlds supply chain is worse than bad

Sponsored

pxpaulx

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Humbly disagree. They may have started planning pre-COVID but the chip shortage was well known BEFORE they announced and opened the ordering on 8 June of 2021. COVID was already over a year old so I don't think you can blame COVID on this failure to communicate.
I agree about the chip shortage, but probably for a different reason. Also, everything he said is 100% on point overall, a large company can only pivot so much just because of their sheer size.

I think that Ford did pivot on chips as much as they could. The obvious ones are the 8 inch infotainment center stack, with sync 3 only on the lariat. The other being relating a couple of the radar based safety features to the lariat as well. Those really make more sense as part of a tech package that could have cost twice as much as the 360 package. It probably would have made more money too if available to all trims.

I also don't think the weird grip options will change until at least my2024, if not longer until the chip issue is resolved... Which is not looking to be any time soon unfortunately.

That could prove a win for Ford in the end too. If there is a refresh 3 years from now I would highly likely consider an xlt AWD hybrid with full tech safety features. Heck I'd even go to a lariat if they, ahem, offer different interior options...

SgtLip

Banned
Banned
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truth right here. They canā€™t share what they donā€™t know. Trust me I work in supply chain and itā€™s a cluster for reasons mentioned and more. If they start making commitments and fail to deliver that would be catastrophic And destroy all credibility.
They donā€™t know what they donā€™t know and the worlds supply chain is worse than bad
So are you saying Ford buried their head in the sand and ignored all of the messaging way back in 2018-2019 about chip problems? It was in 2018-2019 the US ā€“ China trade war and the Japan ā€“ Korea trade war that led to market turbulence for chipmakers and added to rising concern over the effects geopolitical conflicts had on manufacturing and distribution. Both trade wars caused increased lead times, raised pricing and contributed to constraints on raw materials. So Ford had to know it was an issue. They were already starting to feel the pain with the F-Series trucks. So to think it wouldn't be a problem for the Maverick is ludicrous.

My memory isn't as good as it used to be but I thought I read somewhere it took Ford 1.5-2 years from conception to market for the Maverick. If that is correct, they had to know about the chip shortages. It was right after Ford starting accepting orders for Maverick they put the brakes on the F150's.

So all the talk about not being able to turn on a dime is nonsense to an extent. That extent is if you sit on your ass and do nothing and it bites you, then it is hard to turn a massive ship. Had they done something to curtail it earlier they could have slowed the affect on building.

I'm saying offer only one or two models in the initial offering. If the Lariat is the chip hog, then don't offer the Lariat until 2023-2024 model after they see how the Maverick was accepted. Sure it would have stopped a lot of orders (me in particular) but those who ordered there would be plenty on hand for the XL & XLT.

As for being in supply chain, been there, done that and retired. I know what you're saying and understand the process. But I also understand timing. And Ford knew about this problem back in 2018-2019 and decided they were powerful enough that it wouldn't affect them and did nothing. And here we are today.

WesM

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
As for being in supply chain, been there, done that and retired. I know what you're saying and understand the process. But I also understand timing. And Ford knew about this problem back in 2018-2019 and decided they were powerful enough that it wouldn't affect them and did nothing. And here we are today.
To be fair I think all Automakers could be accused of that. I suspect the hope was that semi conductor production would return to normal, probably around now.

I realize this semi conductor shortage has been a huge issue, and probably will be for sometime. But on the upside it has revealed a major issue the USA has and is leading to large infrastructure investments in high tech manufacturing, these are good things. I just saw several articles about how different manufactures like Intel see an opportunity to grow into the auto chip manufacturing arena.

I think its a significant strategic weakness the US has right now with a large portion of its semiconductor supply coming from overseas. Taiwan is a huge supplier, so what happens when China makes a play at them in earnest? Not things I like to think about, but maybe this shortage will be the jolt the US needs to get its supply lines in shape.

hcforde

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Hawley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight, E350, Toyota Sequoia
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
To be fair I think all Automakers could be accused of that. I suspect the hope was that semi conductor production would return to normal, probably around now.

I realize this semi conductor shortage has been a huge issue, and probably will be for sometime. But on the upside it has revealed a major issue the USA has and is leading to large infrastructure investments in high tech manufacturing, these are good things. I just saw several articles about how different manufactures like Intel see an opportunity to grow into the auto chip manufacturing arena.

I think its a significant strategic weakness the US has right now with a large portion of its semiconductor supply coming from overseas. Taiwan is a huge supplier, so what happens when China makes a play at them in earnest? Not things I like to think about, but maybe this shortage will be the jolt the US needs to get its supply lines in shape.
Whether you like him or not, that is what Trump was trying to accomplish.
Sponsored