First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 Supercrew w/EcoBoost engine, Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The biggest complaint from me is that there are several known issues and either ford is slow addressing them or don't have the parts.
Exactly. For those of use who have Maverick hybrids before a certain date, the issue of the wiring harness is still there. But to have to occasionally hit it with the external power pack is a small price to pay as far as I am concerned, for a vehicle we like and are getting amazing gas mileage with.
Sponsored

rightmuch

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I am curious, and this may kick a hornet's nest. But it qualitatively speaking it seems like there are more issues with the hybrids than the ecoboosts. Its to the point where I find myself reading posts and saying "thank goodness I didn't order a hybrid". But this could also be selective memory based upon the fact I did order an ecoboost. So is it just me, or are there way more issues with the hybrids than the ecoboosts? Is it to the point where one would say getting a hybrid is a problem vehicle?

Thoughts?
I have 25K on my Mav. No problems whatsoever. Best vehicle I've ever owned.

OP
OP
gte105u

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So for the "I went to accelerate and it died" threads, has this been figured out? Was it the wiring harness as well? I could have missed them but haven't seen that on any EB but seen several (not a ton but enough to concern me) on Hybrid.

An issue that needs time and money to fix but is just a long term service item is one thing (like a transmission or turbo going out). But major safety concerns like this is another.

Again, could be confirmation bias on my side so I'm just floating for discussion.

Gunnar88

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick xlt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Turbos need good clean oil to keep them from having premature failures (of the turbos). Well known Ford tech on youtube (Ford Boss Me) talks about this all the time with Ford turbo engines, warning owners about it. He figured the Maverick, being a 4 banger would be one to be very careful with, strongly recommending to stick to a 5k cycle.

Turbos spins around 100,000 rpm and higher and uses engine oil for lubrication and cooling, in the old days you were supposed to let your vehicle idle for a minute or two before you shut it off to cool down the turbo. If I had a turbo I would probably do that as well as short the oil changes and use very high quality oil.

Gunnar88

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick xlt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
According to a Ford Technical Service Bulletin dated June of this year, Ford acknowledges that some of their models with the 4-cylinder 2.0 L EcoBoost engine are experiencing a common problem of coolant escaping into the cylinders manifesting as white smoke, engine misfiring, loss of coolant and will need engine replacement.

I have two family members that own a 2.0 Ecoboost Fusion and both, yes both need engine replacement. One with just 61k. The other is a year newer but I don't know the mileage. Bottom line is, the Hybrid system has an 8 year/100,000 mile warranty so to be fair, you have to consider $6,000 out-of-pocket if you're one of the unlucky ones with a Ford 2.0 Ecoboost out of warranty. Unless, of coarse, the class action law suit against Ford is successful.

That would be called blowing a head gasket, right?

Sponsored

Gunnar88

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick xlt
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The Mav's eCVT is very similar to the Prius eCVT. Ford improved some of the design, which Toyota has incorporated similar changes into theirs. The transmission design is very simple, compared to a conventional automatic, and rock solid.

I researched this before I ordered my mine. I usually think of the transmission as the weak spot it older vehicles that are known to otherwise be reliable, and the ruggedness and simplicity of the transmission as well as the fact that the ICE is not direct injection and has a long history of reliability settled it for me. I waited 16 months for mine and I've only got 2500 miles on it but so far so good.

Tonyd322

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
So I am curious, and this may kick a hornet's nest. But it qualitatively speaking it seems like there are more issues with the hybrids than the ecoboosts. Its to the point where I find myself reading posts and saying "thank goodness I didn't order a hybrid". But this could also be selective memory based upon the fact I did order an ecoboost. So is it just me, or are there way more issues with the hybrids than the ecoboosts? Is it to the point where one would say getting a hybrid is a problem vehicle?

Thoughts?
The hybrid engine and trans should go for far more miles than the ecoboost with the 8 speed automatic.

Jimd57

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Dodge Dakota

Thoughts?
I have had my XLT Hybrid since March 10 2022 and I love it great mileage 42 to 58 mpg depending on how I drive weather and where. I had one recall taken care of where they had to drill some holes in a shield and waiting for side Air Curtain recall repair but they don't have the part. Can't say I've had any other issues so far knock on wood! Jim

crazymomlv

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mary Macioce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT on order and Subaru outback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Thoughts?
Love mine

Jumpin John

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

Thoughts?
Hello,
My 2022 Maverick is in the shop with a transmission problem and there have been two recalls, one for engine compartment fires (the fix was drilling holes in the underpinning) and the other for side airbag replacement. The airbag problem has yet to be fixed as Ford does not have the replacement parts. Other than that, I love my Maverick.

Jumpin' John

Sponsored
OP
OP
gte105u

gte105u

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat, '17 Rogue SL, '14 Altima SV
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

TedTX

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Odd, they can. They should really wait 1 year and one day, at least!
Point is valid, but design barely changes over past 10yrs for the Hybrid method. No issues popped up in those major wire type and magnet shape changes done just for Maverick for the first customer year ( not even a year yet for the first delivery of Hybrids)

Bwinter1701

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
BRYAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Mustang GT, 2010 Honda Insight, 2020 Kia Sore
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Perhaps there will be more Ecoboost problems when more miles are put on them? Hopefully not of course, but tables have been known to turn
You are absolutely correct. Carbon issues as well as turbo issues are just around the corner for the Ecoboost.