John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Stingray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

How do I play music in the background while using the Waze App. Must everything go trough you phone? I have the regular XLT unit. :unsure:
Sponsored

billbillw

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Stream with Spotify, Pandora, Radio Paradise, etc. Yes, with Android Auto, the sound comes from phone apps.

You may be able to play the radio and have the Waze App run on the phone, but not show on the screen. I'm not sure if that will give the directions over the phone speaker or if it will be lost to bluetooth. There is probably a navigation setting on the phone that gives the choice of sending nav direction over bluetooth or not.

I haven't experimented yet with the Maverick, but on my last car (a VW), I couldn't get Google Maps to send the directions over the phone speaker (even with the option to send nav over bluetooth disabled). I had to have the bluetooth media selected.

crgator

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
How do I play music in the background while using the Waze App. Must everything go trough you phone? I have the regular XLT unit. :unsure:
I use either Pandora on my phone, Android Auto, or music through an MP3 player using USB when using the Waze App. I almost never listen to the radio anymore, so I'm not sure if you can play music through the radio while using the Waze app, but I would think you could. I've got the XLT.

PanchoBarrancas

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick 2.0 AWD
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
From this I assume you have a music player/source you want to play music from, instead of from your phone, right?

You can keep playing the radio while Android Auto/Carplay is connected, but any bluetooth source that is not the phone plugged to the infotainment will not connect while the phone is projecting on the screen.

OP
OP
Grand Nat.

Grand Nat.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Stingray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I use either Pandora on my phone, Android Auto, or music through an MP3 player using USB when using the Waze App. I almost never listen to the radio anymore, so I'm not sure if you can play music through the radio while using the Waze app, but I would think you could. I've got the XLT.
From this I assume you have a music player/source you want to play music from, instead of from your phone, right?

You can keep playing the radio while Android Auto/Carplay is connected, but any bluetooth source that is not the phone plugged to the infotainment will not connect while the phone is projecting on the screen.
I was just using the phone I was able to get a map voiced directions and was able to listen to music at the same time and of course I was tethered to the radio. :giggle:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Grand Nat.

Grand Nat.

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Stingray
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Stream with Spotify, Pandora, Radio Paradise, etc. Yes, with Android Auto, the sound comes from phone apps.

You may be able to play the radio and have the Waze App run on the phone, but not show on the screen. I'm not sure if that will give the directions over the phone speaker or if it will be lost to bluetooth. There is probably a navigation setting on the phone that gives the choice of sending nav direction over bluetooth or not.

I haven't experimented yet with the Maverick, but on my last car (a VW), I couldn't get Google Maps to send the directions over the phone speaker (even with the option to send nav over bluetooth disabled). I had to have the bluetooth media selected.
Good info. I will try a little of all the suggestions by the members on this post. I was able to use Waze and get voiced directions a map and listen to music. I downloaded Music player from the Google play store. But works only by using a cable. The only other bonus I got from Music player that was I was able to listen to all my music through the Bluetooth from my phone without being connected and get the convenience of using all the Ford steering wheel and radio controls .I assume that most of the other player apps work the same way.

billbillw

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Maverick Lariat FX4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
So, I was somewhat wrong. I finally did some experimenting today and I was surprised to find that you can start Android Auto (usb connected), then press the 1st button on the radio and get the choice of audio. I started playing from my USB, and then pressed the AA button and it went back to showing Google Maps, with the USB audio still playing. I was able to put in a destination and start navigation. The USB audio and turn by turn directions worked together without any issues.
I use Google Maps, but I would assume Waze works the same way.
Sponsored