Anyone looking at +40 offset wheels?

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
I know OEM wheels are 37.5mm. 40mm would put them just a hair closer on the inside. But it looks like 40mm is pretty popular for our aftermarket wheel options.
Sponsored

Dan00Hawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTI, 2019 Beetle, 2000 Firehawk TransAm
Normally I'm a fan of going with a lower offset compared to OEM on most vehicles so the wheels are pushed out more flush with the fender line. But from photos I've seen, it appears Ford did this nicely with the OEM wheel offsets already. So a 40mm offset (on the same width wheel) will still look fine as that 2.5 mm difference is nearly imperceptible, and shouldn't cause any rubbing issues when going to a larger tire, like a 245/65 R17 for example.

Reactions: Mav
OP
OP
Mav

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
Normally I'm a fan of going with a lower offset compared to OEM on most vehicles so the wheels are pushed out more flush with the fender line. But from photos I've seen, it appears Ford did this nicely with the OEM wheel offsets already. So a 40mm offset (on the same width wheel) will still look fine as that 2.5 mm difference is nearly imperceptible, and shouldn't cause any rubbing issues when going to a larger tire, like a 245/65 R17 for example.
I would more than likely fit the widest tire I can fit on an 18” wheel. The wheels I’m looking at are 9.5” wide. So they are going to stick out a little

Dan00Hawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTI, 2019 Beetle, 2000 Firehawk TransAm
I would more than likely fit the widest tire I can fit on an 18” wheel. The wheels I’m looking at are 9.5” wide. So they are going to stick out a little
A little poke out should still look good. Just avoid the Indy car look. :)

OP
OP
Mav

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
A little poke out should still look good. Just avoid the Indy car look. :)
Yup. Just looking for the widest footprint possible. If they stick out a little too much I’ll start looking at flare options

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mav

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
Has the +37.5mm been confirmed or are we just going off of Bronco Sport numbers? I know the Escape is +50mm. I figured Maverick specs would be more in line with Bronco Sport vs Escape though.
Yeah, still going by the 37.5mm everyone has accepted as correct. I really need to know if that’s not right. Don’t want to order wheels with the wrong offset

OP
OP
Mav

Mav

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Maverick
Same here! I bet it's safe to assume though. The wheels look very near flush with the body, whereas the Escape they are clearly tucked in quite a bit. I'll probably have wheels/tires ready to go long before I get a Maverick at this point :LOL:
Same. Had to stop myself from just ordering them. I’m not pulling the trigger until I get shipping confirmation. Might just wait until I can inspect it first. With Fords track record lately

Cubican

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ridgeline, viper, c8
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If anyone wants a set of bronco sport wheels and tire let me know I’m in texas dfw

Ford Maverick Anyone looking at +40 offset wheels? 1F058AFB-0B6C-4E63-AC6E-DE313F96C91C

HarrisonFordMaverick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Everyone needs to remember that offset is relative. +38 on a 7” wide wheel is not the same as +38 on a 8”, 9”, or 9.5” wheel. For example +38 7” wide wheel (which is factory width) is further away from the strut assembly than +38 on an 8” wide wheel (common aftermarket width). See the backspacing chart below. Basically the wider a wheel gets without the offset decreasing the closer it get to your strut assembly.
Ford Maverick Anyone looking at +40 offset wheels? 6F1D9CDA-FC41-4C12-B55F-23ADD22DEF42

flyjum

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
17x8 with ET40 should fit just fine ET30 should also fit. The lower the offset the more the wheel sticks out. Center bore should be 63.5 but larger will work if the wheels are lug centric

Its the same setup as the bronco sport from what I can tell.

The above poster
Everyone needs to remember that offset is relative. +38 on a 7” wide wheel is not the same as +38 on a 8”, 9”, or 9.5” wheel. For example +38 7” wide wheel (which is factory width) is further away from the strut assembly than +38 on an 8” wide wheel (common aftermarket width). See the backspacing chart below. Basically the wider a wheel gets without the offset decreasing the closer it get to your strut assembly.
6F1D9CDA-FC41-4C12-B55F-23ADD22DEF42.png

17x8 with ET40 should fit just fine ET30 should also fit. The lower the offset the more the wheel sticks out. Center bore should be 63.5 but larger will work if the wheels are lug centric. Its the same setup as the bronco sport from what I can tell.

The section underlined is somewhat incorrect. Wheel offsets are based on the centerline of the wheel not the backspacing length. If you have a 0 offset wheel that is say 7 inches wide it will have 3.5 inches of backspacing and 3.5 inches of spacing toward the front(face) side. If the wheel is 8 inches wide with zero offset it will have 4 inches of backspacing and 4 inches of front.

If the offset/ET is not changed and you increase the wheel width from 7 to say 8 inches you will gain .5 inches of both back spacing and front spacing. This would be the same effect as reducing the ET by 12.7mm in terms of inner strut clearance.
So if the Maverick wheel is 17x7 ET 37.5 and you switched to a common wider size of 17x8 ET40 it would be 15.2mm closer to the strut but also stick out 10.2mm further from the fender. If you choose a 17x8 ET 30 wheel it will be 5.2mm closer to the strut but also stick out 20.2mm.

Sponsored

flyjum

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nope.

17x7 0 offset = 4" of back spacing.
17x8 0 offset = 4.5" of back spacing.
Wheels do run wider than the actual width listed due to the wheel rim/lip thickness. The above was just an example. It will vary depending on how thick the lip section is. Cast wheels tend to run thicker in that area than a forged wheel because they need more material. Offroad wheels tend to run much thicker as well to strengthen the lip area. If your wheel has a bead lock on it it could be a full inch thicker adding to the back spacing. Back spacing is an old outdated method of measure wheel offsets because of the inherent design differences among wheels. Nearly all wheels made today offer an offset measurement not a backspacing measurement.

Offset is the distances that the hub to wheel mounting flange is offset from the center of the wheel. Not the distance from the flange to the edge of the inner side of the while.

flyjum

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I wouldn't say it's outdated, all of the potential wheels I've looked up have had both offset and backspacing posted in the specs.

I was just looking up these Motegis I like and they are 17x8 +40mm Offset 6.07" backspacing. Per your earlier post this wheel should only have 5.57" backspacing from center.

1628725900322.png

1628725920065.png

Either your math isn't adding up or all of these manufacturers are posting incorrect specs...
The earlier post is just for refences on what offset is and how it relates to wheel centerline positioning.

My point was not exact math for each and every wheel made. Rather that changing the wheel width will increase the amount of space needed on both the inside (back spacing) and the outside(front spacing) if the offset is not changed. That is if you add 1 inch of width to a wheel and keep the same offset you will gain .5 inches of back spacing and .5 inches of front spacing. Some wheels will simply have more backspacing even if the dimensions are the same and offsets the same. This is because of the thickness of the wheel lip area varies. Wheel widths are measured from tire mounting face to tire mounting face and does not include the thickness of the outer barrel or lip in the measurement. Tire positioning should be static and consistent if both width and offset measurements are given. But the backspacing can vary a bit as a result of the outer barrel thickness.

Some other things to consider with tire selection and limited backspacing is some tires have wheel protection built into them. This means the tire has extra rubber right were the wheel lip is and can stick out 1/4 of an inch or more off the edge of the wheel face which will add even more to the "backspacing" of the wheel/tire assembly.

flyjum

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I understand what you're saying now, definitely valid points to look out for. I'm just curious where this additional 1/2" seems to be coming from.

17x8.5 0 offset I owned had 4.75 backspace
17x8 +40 I'm looking at has ~6 backspace

If the offset is from the direct center, those published specs are wrong by exactly 1/2" just like all of the other wheels I've looked at recently.

Definitely some good points though. I don't think any of us will truly know what works and what doesn't until we start getting our Mavericks and start fitting up wheels. I think there should be plenty of room to go wider on these considering they come stock with +37.5 and the Escape comes with +50. Should be good to go at least an inch wider with the proper offset/backspacing.

For example, something like a 265 wide tires on a 9.5" wheel +40 offset might be pushing it though as far as inner clearance goes. I'm sure some are going to want to go lower with meaty street tires. Will be cool to see in time.
A good slightly wider size on an 18 inch wheel would be a 245 55 18. The tire height is within .3 percent of the factory 225 65 17 so you won't need to change the speedo either. This should fit on the C2 chassis on a 18x8 et40 wheel. It will give you that street truck look. The federal st-1 is a great tire in that size for the price.

TE37Mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Just got my wheels. TE37 17x7.5 +48.
Think I can make them fit with a 16-19 mm. Adapter. 🤞. It’ll be a tight fit with 245/65 AT tires.
Ford Maverick Anyone looking at +40 offset wheels? 6567261B-1B69-4AFB-977E-5A638DB3CBEA