Sponsored

Anyone install a tailgate light bar below the tailgate?

dc73pdsgt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

anyone install a tailgate light bar below the tailgate? any issues with hyper flash? Im looking at installing one and hooking it up to the usual brake lights, turn signals, reverse lights and running lights. don't want to deal with the hyper flashing though.... please advise and let me know how the wiring went. will be hard wiring it as I don't have a hitch or hitch plug.
Sponsored

MM Mav

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Hybrid Lariat Luxury w/CP360 + CP360A
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

GduB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Garl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

If you wire everything into your tail lights you’ll be fine - don’t recommend tapping the hitch plug wiring even if you have it.

OP
OP
dc73pdsgt

dc73pdsgt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

If you wire everything into your tail lights you’ll be fine - don’t recommend tapping the hitch plug wiring even if you have it.
Yea that’s what I did on past trucks just didn’t want to deal with hyper flashing. Only other concern I have is I’ve been reading about the drivers side taillight not working with these light bars. Don’t know if that’s hard wired or through the hitch connector

Drift

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Not a light bar but real nice. HitchMount LED Pod Reverse Kit
Had to hardwire because I didn't have 7 pin connection but real bright and easy.

Sponsored

GduB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Garl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Yea that’s what I did on past trucks just didn’t want to deal with hyper flashing. Only other concern I have is I’ve been reading about the drivers side taillight not working with these light bars. Don’t know if that’s hard wired or through the hitch connector
I tapped into the driver side tail light for my light bar and the hitch pods another person mentioned, took awhile to find the right wires to match the light bar wires but it all functions as it should. I didn’t hook up the “running” portion of the light bar though, have to tap into a different wire harness on the tail light for that. I initially plugged it into the 4pin and 7pin, both times my dash told me my tail lights were out.

OP
OP
dc73pdsgt

dc73pdsgt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

yea I don't have a hitch so Im not looking to use the harness from the hitch.

SteveW12TCA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I tapped into the driver side tail light for my light bar and the hitch pods another person mentioned, took awhile to find the right wires to match the light bar wires but it all functions as it should. I didn’t hook up the “running” portion of the light bar though, have to tap into a different wire harness on the tail light for that. I initially plugged it into the 4pin and 7pin, both times my dash told me my tail lights were out.
How did you go about determining which wire is the reverse light wire? Thanks!

GduB

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Garl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

How did you go about determining which wire is the reverse light wire? Thanks!
I did a lot of digging through the forums, somewhere down the rabbit hole someone posted on here a picture I’ll attach - I’d love to give credit but can’t remember what forum I found the photo since I just screenshot it. Someone had also posted in the comments section of a YouTube video - just be aware, I have an XLT and the wiring may not be exactly the same if you have a different trim package. You could always use a meter as well; turn your e-brake on, shift into reverse with your tail light disassembled, then test the ports of the wire harness to find the right wire. The only wire I didn’t connect was the “running” portion of the light bar.
Ford Maverick Anyone install a tailgate light bar below the tailgate? D01302C9-E556-4268-9A32-D6FB26F9349B
Ford Maverick Anyone install a tailgate light bar below the tailgate? 17B4B8D0-12DC-4ED5-B4F9-E6BC8A796917

RedRider

2.5L Hybrid
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Fusion, 2023 Maverick on order
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Nice idea, but I'm sure not liking your wire taps in a high-dirt and water area of the body. In a few years you're going to have weird light faults due to corrosion. At a minimum, swap those taps for something that is completely watertight.

Sponsored
OP
OP
dc73pdsgt

dc73pdsgt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Info on the light bar please and any issues with your taillights not working correctly?

CTYankee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.catvert68.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I used the Putco Split Blade to keep the spare tire access clear but then relocated the lights down to the top lip on the bumper for better visibility. It's wired in to the taillights with a Curt Manufacturing T-harness.
Ford Maverick Anyone install a tailgate light bar below the tailgate? 20230316_121145

OP
OP
dc73pdsgt

dc73pdsgt

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I used the Putco Split Blade to keep the spare tire access clear but then relocated the lights down to the top lip on the bumper for better visibility. It's wired in to the taillights with a Curt Manufacturing T-harness.
20230316_121145.jpg
Ah but you have a trailer hitch and associated wiring and I don’t. I want to hardwire to the rear taillights but am concerned about the “drivers side rear light not working” issue

CTYankee

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.catvert68.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Ah but you have a trailer hitch and associated wiring and I don’t. I want to hardwire to the rear taillights but am concerned about the “drivers side rear light not working” issue
None of the trailer wiring is used. The T-connector plugs into the taillight harness (no splicing).
Sponsored