Sponsored

Anyone find a source for factory steel wheels?

OP
OP
GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

Deleted member 6544

tom_tucker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Dunno about "way more sunk in", but they do sit about an inch or so further inboard than the stock aluminium wheel/tire combo. This is with Michelin X-Ice Latitude tires on Escape compatible aftermarket cheap steel wheels.

20211030_142931.jpg
Sick. That's exactly with I have on my 06 Sub. For. XT. Michelin X-Ice on TireRack black steel (16 in). Hope to put these on the Maverick Hybrid for Winter 2023. Was thinking go all the way to Bridgestone Blizzacks. I've had good luck with front wheel drive and Blizzacks in deep snow.

Jakb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Did you have to get new TPMS sensors or are you tolerating the light being on?

Does the Mav have the ability to store two sets of tires?

OP
OP
GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Sick. That's exactly with I have on my 06 Sub. For. XT. Michelin X-Ice on TireRack black steel (16 in). Hope to put these on the Maverick Hybrid for Winter 2023. Was thinking go all the way to Bridgestone Blizzacks. I've had good luck with front wheel drive and Blizzacks in deep snow.
I was reading and watching some snow tire reviews. The Michelin X-ice seem to be optimized for control in icy conditions rather than deep snow. At least that's what this comparison testing seems to indicate. The Blizzaks were better in the snow:

https://alltyretests.com/michelin-latitude-x-ice-xi2-test-review/

I'm with you on the FWD thing, traction can be quite good with proper snow tires.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Did you have to get new TPMS sensors or are you tolerating the light being on?

Does the Mav have the ability to store two sets of tires?
No TPMS on the steelies. I keep getting alerts on the FordPass Connect app on my phone! Can't remember if I'm getting a caution or warning on the dash.

Jakb

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Jak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XLT Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid

tom_tucker

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick XLT
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I was reading and watching some snow tire reviews. The Michelin X-ice seem to be optimized for control in icy conditions rather than deep snow. At least that's what this comparison testing seems to indicate. The Blizzaks were better in the snow:

https://alltyretests.com/michelin-latitude-x-ice-xi2-test-review/

I'm with you on the FWD thing, traction can be quite good with proper snow tires.
Thanks for the link! I'm in the West Virginia mountains above 3000ft elevation. It's either raining, snowing heavily or slush. Some ice, but not like up North. 120'' of snow last season and it stuck around, which is unusual. I was packing the driveway by running the X-ICE back and forth.

Nothing can touch the Subaru with snows, but the FWD Maverick should be O.K? I believe the hybrid has traction control, low gear and slippery drive mode. Maybe some cable chains for the occasional 3 foot Nor-Easter.

bcayo

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Probably could, but I don't want to. They use a lot of salt up here on the roads (tough winters). Lots of people put good winter tires on steelies, and use basic lug nuts... to spare the aluminium wheels and chrome lug nuts from corrosion. Looks weird seeing nice newer vehicles with black basic steelies, no hubcaps, but that's the norm up here in winter (lots of people do it).
I've never really thought about it before, but with steel wheels leaving the hub nut exposed, is that something to be concerned about? Doesn't look like anyone is selling center caps for these like come on the stock XL steel wheels.

bcayo

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Sponsored

fordtruckguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford truck
Hoping to find a set of XL take offs, but I if that doesn’t happen good to know escape steel wheels work despite the offset difference

OP
OP
GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 XLT
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I've never really thought about it before, but with steel wheels leaving the hub nut exposed, is that something to be concerned about? Doesn't look like anyone is selling center caps for these like come on the stock XL steel wheels.
I found my hubs had some light surface rust on 'em (new!), and that was very noticeable with the steel wheels/no center cap. I scrubbed the corrosion with a 3M Scotchbrite pad & WD40, then sprayed the hub recess with anti corrosion compound. Will do it again in spring. They use lots of salt on the roads up here.

The Michelin X-ice snowtires on steelies are working out well, the Maverick performing well in the snow.

Ford Maverick Anyone find a source for factory steel wheels? 20211210_140206

BootXL76

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick XL
If anybody is looking for a set of XL takeoffs with stock tires, mine have less than 50 miles on them with caps, original lug nuts and TPMS sensors…. I’ll let the whole set go for basically what you’d pay Ford for a single steelie (I’m about 25 minutes out of concord, NH and roughly an hour and a half from Boston)

fordtruckguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford truck
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pacer-83B-...p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

17x7 Rim
  • Please Note: standard use uses 60 Degree Conical Seat Lugs
BASIC INFO
  • Style Name: BLACK FWD MOD
    Width: 7 in.
    Diameter: 17 in
    Weight: 34.0 lbs.
    Load Rating: 1500.0 lbs.
    FINISH: Matte Black
    Quantity: 4 PC
CUSTOM INFO
  • Offset: +35 mm
    Bolt Pattern - Standard: 5X4.50 / 5X4.25 in.
    Bolt Pattern - Metric: 5X114.3 / 5X108 mm
    Center Bore: 72
    Center Cap Part Number: N/A
    Back Spacing: 5.38 in.

I was thinking about going with these steelies for winter tires. Closer offset than escape wheels. I’m no wheel expert, is there any reason the ones linked here wouldn’t work?

_Daleyplanit_

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
If anyone has a reliable, affordable source for white steelies (I do love the factory ones but those prices, yikes!) hit me up. I'm thinking of getting on top of next winter's wheelset now :)
Sponsored