Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
Here are some of the points for leasing:
  1. New model.
  2. Less monthly payment.
  3. We are in the middle of transition to EVs (5 years+/-), therefore the resale value is uncertain. Plugin Maverick likely even next year.
Your thoughts, especially about the 3rd point?
Sponsored

buckaroo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit
If it was strictly electric leasing would be the safer option then buying I would think. But as a hybrid for me anyway I'll be buying. The only thing leasing really does for you is get you into a vehicle you could not afford otherwise, from that point on unless you can write it off on your tax's you are losing money.

At one time leasing was generally for those who used their vehicles in their work. And now even Ford won't let you sell it to make some money, you have to return them to the dealership when the lease is up. Because the dealers are hurting for used cars.

And nobody in their right minds buys a used electric anything be it hybrid and especially full electric.

Your 3rd point is a gimmick. The only reason I'm even interested in this hybrid is because it charges while you drive and even has regenerative braking to the charge.

Last edited:
OP
OP

pointillistic

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
If it was strictly electric leasing would be the safer option then buying I would think. But as a hybrid for me anyway I'll be buying. The only thing leasing really does for you is get you into a vehicle you could not afford otherwise, from that point on unless you can write it off on your tax's you are losing money.

At one time leasing was generally for those who used their vehicles in their work. And now even Ford won't let you sell it to make some money, you have to return them to the dealership when the lease is up. Because the dealers are hurting for used cars.

And nobody in their right minds buys a used electric anything be it hybrid and especially full electric.

Your 3rd point is a gimmick. The only reason I'm even interested in this hybrid is because it charges while you drive and even has regenerative braking to the charge.
Let's say everything goes EV in 3-5 years. This truck would be like a smartphone from 3 years ago, would it have the resale value to justify the regular payments.

Rexus99

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Tacoma
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

I bought a certified used Toyota Highlander Hybrid. 12 month 12,000 mile warranty plus the drivetrain warranty is extended to 7yrs 100,000 miles. 10 year 150,000 factory hybrid battery warranty and now I find out I am not in my right mind.

buckaroo

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit
@pointillistic,

It won't be EV in 20 years unless the government mandates it. EV only truly works if you own your own home, and despite what you may have heard less than 40% in America own a home. The rest of us are in apartments. The extension cord to the street might be a little long. And we can't afford to hire a security guard to watch over things. :)

In case you didn't know this electric cars have been around for well over 100 years now, the problem is you can only do so much with batteries and the technology has been basically dead since the 1960's. What they are doing now is playing around with various chemical mixtures and most of it is extremely volatile.

Don't be fooled by all of this, the movers and the shakers don't give a r ats a-- about the environment, it's merely to create a new industry hiding behind global warming to make money. And they only have to sell one vehicle for every 2-4 gas models, which means less labor and less overhead.

As far as you last point who's to say. The batteries start degrading the moment they install them, by year 3 you'll be lucky if you even have 75% charge life left. And they are anywhere from $3k-$5k to replace and who knows how much the electric motor cost to replace.

Like I said the only way EV gets wide adoption in America is if the government forces it on us. But then only 1/4 of the population will be able to afford it. The rest of us will be on public transport sitting next to the crazies and the smellies. Which is part of the over plan as well.
They want vehicles off the road, but not solely base on emissions alone.

Sponsored

OP
OP

pointillistic

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
@pointillistic,

It won't be EV in 20 years unless the government mandates it. EV only truly works if you own your own home, and despite what you may have heard less than 40% in America own a home. The rest of us are in apartments. The extension cord to the street might be a little long. And we can't afford to hire a security guard to watch over things. :)

In case you didn't know this electric cars have been around for well over 100 years now, the problem is you can only do so much with batteries and the technology has been basically dead since the 1960's. What they are doing now is playing around with various chemical mixtures and most of it is extremely volatile.

Don't be fooled by all of this, the movers and the shakers don't give a r ats a-- about the environment, it's merely to create a new industry hiding behind global warming to make money. And they only have to sell one vehicle for every 2-4 gas models, which means less labor and less overhead.

As far as you last point who's to say. The batteries start degrading the moment they install them, by year 3 you'll be lucky if you even have 75% charge life left. And they are anywhere from $3k-$5k to replace and who knows how much the electric motor cost to replace.

Like I said the only way EV gets wide adoption in America is if the government forces it on us. But then only 1/4 of the population will be able to afford it. The rest of us will be on public transport sitting next to the crazies and the smellies.
I will get you a really broad brush for the strokes you are making...

es7129

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Unless Ford is offering significant incentives to lease I’ll be purchasing. Between the fees and the higher interest rate IMO it’s not worth it otherwise.
If the used market stays this hot for the next 2-3 years depreciation will be minimal on the purchase and you may be able to get out just as easily.

fishinmagician

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 maverick hybrid XL
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

I've considered it, but I'm not sure what the rv will be, and my build is so cheap it's probably better to just buy it

OP
OP

pointillistic

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
You are under 30, everyone at one time had ideas about saving the world. By 45 the harsh reality gets exposed.
even a much broader brush in guessing age, more importantly nothing to do with the fact that transition to EV is inevitable and much faster than you think.

Sponsored

Fred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Let's say everything goes EV in 3-5 years. This truck would be like a smartphone from 3 years ago, would it have the resale value to justify the regular payments.
There will still be plenty of gas vehicles on the road. IMO we are screwed if everything goes all EV. Power goes out, then what?

EV‘s are marginally better for the environment, and certainly worse for the countries with the minerals needed....like Afghanistan, for example.
The electricity must be made and that is where the pollution will now be.

lmaccherone

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Maverick Hybrid
I too am thinking about leasing mostly because of the worry that all-electric will be the best option in a few years. In theory, they should become less expensive and more reliable than gas-powered vehicles. Rapid charging batteries will also be more common such that recharging on the road becomes a 20-minute pit stop. It'll take a decade before it's a good choice for everyone including apartment dwellers but it's coming and I think it'll be preferred for homeowners within five years.

I don't agree with the blanket statement that leasing is more costly. It all depends upon a number of factors primarily the lease's equivalent interest rate. Take the sum of the payments for purchase and compare that to the sum of the payments for a lease + the residual value if you want a rough comparison.

The biggest complication with leasing is the mileage commitment. If you want to return the vehicle at the end of the lease and you are over that, it can be more expensive than the reduction in actual value. That said, CarMax and their ilk can get you out of that problem. My last lease went to CarMax at the end of the lease term because of this.

OP
OP

pointillistic

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
I too am thinking about leasing mostly because of the worry that all-electric will be the best option in a few years. In theory, they should become less expensive and more reliable than gas-powered vehicles. Rapid charging batteries will also be more common such that recharging on the road becomes a 20-minute pit stop. It'll take a decade before it's a good choice for everyone including apartment dwellers but it's coming and I think it'll be preferred for homeowners within five years.

I don't agree with the blanket statement that leasing is more costly. It all depends upon a number of factors primarily the lease's equivalent interest rate. Take the sum of the payments for purchase and compare that to the sum of the payments for a lease + the residual value if you want a rough comparison.

The biggest complication with leasing is the mileage commitment. If you want to return the vehicle at the end of the lease and you are over that, it can be more expensive than the reduction in actual value. That said, CarMax and their ilk can get you out of that problem. My last lease went to CarMax at the end of the lease term because of this.
Could you please clarify the CarMax comment. How does it actually work?

bombast

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Maverick XL, Hybrid
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
@pointillistic,

At a certain point, EVs are going to become common enough that property owners are going to start installing charging stations. And it really shouldn't be hard for a company to make them require user authentication so you don't have rando's coming in to steal your power.

In 20 years things are gonna be weird.

altomav

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Keven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick, '71 GMC
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Unless Ford is offering significant incentives to lease I’ll be purchasing. Between the fees and the higher interest rate IMO it’s not worth it otherwise.
If the used market stays this hot for the next 2-3 years depreciation will be minimal on the purchase and you may be able to get out just as easily.
I agree with you. Also, with a lease there will be a written requirement that you have a minimum amount of Insurance coverage (usually the Max). On my Jeep lease I had at one point, there were other fees and monthly taxes as well. Leaser beware.
Sponsored