Sponsored

Anyone changed the oil WITHOUT a lift/ramps?

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I want to change my Maverick's oil (hybrid specifically) myself the first time, but for future oil changes I'll probably just take it to the dealer so I don't want to invest in ramps. Anyone changed their oil without ramps or a lift? Just curious how feasible it is/how tight it'll be under there - particularly with regard to getting that skid plate thing off and on.
Sponsored

kcamp317

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ford Escape Titanium Hybrid 16 Ford Escape SE
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I can do my escape without ramps by jacking up the front (both sides) and putting a 4x4 block of wood under the front tires. and letting the jacks down. Gives me enough comfortable room to pull out the under vehicle cover and change the oil and filter. Ive seen one of those plastic ramps fail and fortunately no one way laying under the vehicle when that happened so I'm not a big fan after witnessing that honestly. I'm not skinny, average sized 6'0 200 pound guy. I can't imagine the maverick being any more difficult but can't say for sure since I don't have one yet. The annoyance on my 1.6 eco boost escape is the horizontally mounted oil filter that inevitably spills oil and takes some brake cleaner and a rag to tidy up. Both mavericks (hybrid or EB) have vertically mounted filters I think so thats easier yet.

OP
OP
Bj517

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I can do my escape without ramps by jacking up the front (both sides) and putting a 4x4 block of wood under the front tires. and letting the jacks down. Gives me enough comfortable room to pull out the under vehicle cover and change the oil and filter. Ive seen one of those plastic ramps fail and fortunately no one way laying under the vehicle when that happened so I'm not a big fan after witnessing that honestly. I'm not skinny, average sized 6'0 200 pound guy. I can't imagine the maverick being any more difficult but can't say for sure since I don't have one yet. The annoyance on my 1.6 eco boost escape is the horizontally mounted oil filter that inevitably spills oil and takes some brake cleaner and a rag to tidy up. Both mavericks (hybrid or EB) have vertically mounted filters I think so thats easier yet.
Thanks. I'm a pretty thin guy. I have some scrap 2x4 - I was thinking I could easily drive up on those and at least gain an inch and a half

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
It appears the hybrid's oil filter is essentially in the same spot as the EB. I had no problem changing my oil with no lift or ramps, though I do have a jack and stands.

Remove about 8 screws for the plastic cover then you can access the oil filter. Oil pan drain plug is reachable from underneath. Forgot what size socket is required.

Large guys/gals may find it a bit more difficult, however.

OP
OP
Bj517

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
It appears the hybrid's oil filter is essentially in the same spot as the EB. I had no problem changing my oil with no lift or ramps, though I do have a jack and stands.

Remove about 8 screws for the plastic cover then you can access the oil filter. Oil pan drain plug is reachable from underneath. Forgot what size socket is required.

Large guys/gals may find it a bit more difficult, however.
You didn't have to take the cover all the way off?

Sponsored

Platinum2

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
You didn't have to take the cover all the way off?
I took it all the way off because without a lift you're going to need to because the cover won't drop and swing out of the way enough.

Plus, it's not that big of a deal.

19mustang65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
You can do it with the hybrid but bbn its uncomfortable. I ended using ramps for the second time.

Gpp

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I think i would pay someone i trusted to change it for me if I didn’t have proper tools and equipment.

Gullzway

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Ford Mustang Fastback
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I just changed mine for the first time yesterday at 4,000 miles. It was easier than I had expected and took less than 30 minutes. The filter was on there Very tight.
I bought these harbor freight ramps last week for $44 with their 20% coupon. Well worth the price.

13,000 lb. GVWR Portable Vehicle Ramp Set (harborfreight.com)

Gpp

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 ford maverick
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Im sure plastic ramps are fine but something about solid wood 2x8 ramps sounds a little safer.just my opinion🙂

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bj517

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Update: successfully changed the oil this morning. 2400 miles (about 1500 of those on ICE). I drove it up on 2x4s to give myself a little more room to work with. Still tight, but very doable for a skinnier guy like me.

The factory filter was EXTREMELY tight. You're gonna need filter pliers. Otherwise, it was a pretty easy process.

I refilled with 5.7 quarts (per the manual) of mobil 1 advanced fuel economy 0w-20. Motorcraft fl910s filter. I noticed on my spin around the block in sport mode that the ICE seemed much quieter.

Old oil was quite black. Also, less than 5 quarts came out which is a little concerning. I did actually check the level a few weeks ago and it was within spec per the dipstick, so who knows.

Last edited:

Zotman

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Lux Hybrid, Focus
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Fibre skid pan on Hybrid is mounted with 15 T30 screws, all the same. There is also a small tab which supports the skid, so note its location before removing the skid. Not only was the filter tight, the oil pan drain plug was really wrenched in also.

19mustang65

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pinti
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah that filter was on tight. Drain plug was normal for me. Oil was clean for 2k miles

OP
OP
Bj517

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Yeah that filter was on tight. Drain plug was normal for me. Oil was clean for 2k miles
Hybrid or Eco? I was a little surprised how nasty the oil looked after only 1500 or so ICE miles. My drain plug was real tight, but only took a little muscle

OP
OP
Bj517

Bj517

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I
Fibre skid pan on Hybrid is mounted with 15 T30 screws, all the same. There is also a small tab which supports the skid, so note its location before removing the skid. Not only was the filter tight, the oil pan drain plug was really wrenched in also.
I think they're actually T27 (on the hybrid) - at least that's what I used and it was perfectly snug
Sponsored