Sponsored

Any unused USB ports on the back of the 'headunit'?

shizelbs

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

My chief complaint - I no longer have wirless Apple CarPlay and I don't want a big usb cable dangling around in my cabin.

My question, are there any unused usb ports on the back of the 'headunit'? Is the wiring such that one port could be disconnected and rerouted to a more discrete location in the center console stack?

What are you all planning on doing?
Sponsored

RonFLA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

Do yourself a favor and don’t buy that Carplay2air device, off their website. Read the “real” reviews and verify that it doesn’t just work in the Lariat Sync radio. The XL and XLT have limited features and compatibility.

I wouldn’t order any of these adapters unless you can guarantee a hassle free return. I normally don’t promote Amazon or Walmart but in this case, their return policy is more suitable for these types of things.

A_Turkey_Sammich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150
Engine
Undecided
I dunno about these mavericks. The typical setup with late model Fords with touchscreen is 3 parts….. 1) the screen assembly which is just that…2)the ACM which is the actual radio unit…and 3) the APIM which is both the interface between the ACM and screen and also the processor for sync/nav/apps/etc. they are all separate modules. Assuming the Maverick carries on this configuration, the APIM is what has the USB ports. You can try digging up the part number(via the better online ford parts sites)and search for a good picture of that part number to get a good look at it without pulling your car apart, and also determine if one may be open by looking at what connects in the parts diagram.

it is possible on some of them though. I had an 09 escape for a little while, when voice enabled radios, expanded connectivity, etc were still relatively young. It had the standard am/fm/cd radio with sync (voice, no fancy screen or nav) and a USB port on the dash. The APIM had 2 ports and vehicle used only 1. I ran a typical usb cable between that unused port to the inside of the armrest storage where I kept a typical 2.5” external hard drive full of MP3’s semi-permanently installed (left in place and plugged in, but just had to pull the cord to bring it in to update/change content). Was all plug and play with no programming, as built changes, or other work arounds needed. Worked great! On the other hand, if I recall correctly my current F150 has no unused usb ports on the APIM. So I guess possible but not a given is the bottom line.

Sponsored

Decayed

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
yes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Well, they make shortie cables. Or if you want to disassemble the console you could put a splitter in there and run the cable wherever you want. It's a PITA and it's kind of unreal that is doesn't run on bluetooth.

OP
OP
shizelbs

shizelbs

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

Well, they make shortie cables. Or if you want to disassemble the console you could put a splitter in there and run the cable wherever you want. It's a PITA and it's kind of unreal that is doesn't run on bluetooth.
Shorty cable is the plan for now. Eventually I'll dig around in there and probably run a hidden cable.

Red Ryder

2.5L Hybrid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Maverick XLT Iconic Silver
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I would have much preferred the USB jacks for be tucked away for better cord management. Most of my previous vehicles have them at the back of the tray. Easy to leave a short cable plugged into the jack and makes plugging in the phone easy. This one will require a right-angle USB plug and it will still be more unsightly and in the way.

propp2531

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XLT FX-4
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
I dunno about these mavericks. The typical setup with late model Fords with touchscreen is 3 parts….. 1) the screen assembly which is just that…2)the ACM which is the actual radio unit…and 3) the APIM which is both the interface between the ACM and screen and also the processor for sync/nav/apps/etc. they are all separate modules. Assuming the Maverick carries on this configuration, the APIM is what has the USB ports. You can try digging up the part number(via the better online ford parts sites)and search for a good picture of that part number to get a good look at it without pulling your car apart, and also determine if one may be open by looking at what connects in the parts diagram.

it is possible on some of them though. I had an 09 escape for a little while, when voice enabled radios, expanded connectivity, etc were still relatively young. It had the standard am/fm/cd radio with sync (voice, no fancy screen or nav) and a USB port on the dash. The APIM had 2 ports and vehicle used only 1. I ran a typical usb cable between that unused port to the inside of the armrest storage where I kept a typical 2.5” external hard drive full of MP3’s semi-permanently installed (left in place and plugged in, but just had to pull the cord to bring it in to update/change content). Was all plug and play with no programming, as built changes, or other work arounds needed. Worked great! On the other hand, if I recall correctly my current F150 has no unused usb ports on the APIM. So I guess possible but not a given is the bottom line.
No APIM on non sync 3 versions on this truck. There is a single usb chord that goes directly into the ACM with no other ports available

OP
OP
shizelbs

shizelbs

2.0L EcoBoost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick XL
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Clubs

I would have much preferred the USB jacks for be tucked away for better cord management. Most of my previous vehicles have them at the back of the tray. Easy to leave a short cable plugged into the jack and makes plugging in the phone easy. This one will require a right-angle USB plug and it will still be more unsightly and in the way.

100%. This is what I have done. Right angle USB cable following the curvature of the console, under the dividing line of the removable tray and then finally through a puncture to allowed connection whilst in the cradle.

Sponsored

jalbano2

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Maverick Lariat Lux, EB , 4k , FX4 , Moonroof
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost
Do yourself a favor and don’t buy that Carplay2air device, off their website. Read the “real” reviews and verify that it doesn’t just work in the Lariat Sync radio. The XL and XLT have limited features and compatibility.

I wouldn’t order any of these adapters unless you can guarantee a hassle free return. I normally don’t promote Amazon or Walmart but in this case, their return policy is more suitable for these types of things.
This is not an item that you buy on Amazon or Walmart. And it works great.

RonFLA

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
Clubs

This is not an item that you buy on Amazon or Walmart. And it works great.
I’m happy that you’re happy with your Lariat but unfortunately, doesn’t work on the XL and XLT radio! READ:

Last edited:

spydox

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Maverick Lariat
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
I have a camera, radar and other USB items high on the windshield, all for power, none for data.

I have some 12v to USB convertor/receptacles I'm considering wiring into the overhead lights so I can use like a 6" hidden cable instead of cables hanging down over the dash.

Thoughts?

Hot Runr Guy

2.0L EcoBoost
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Edge SEL, 2024 Lariat AWD BAP 4K
Engine
2.0L EcoBoost

AutobahnSHO

2.5L Hybrid
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, Hybrid Mav, Odyssey
Engine
2.5L Hybrid
The interior fusebox is under the passenger foot rest. I wired up stuff there and ran cable up the passenger side A pillar.

In fact there's room next to fuse box for a cigarette lighter USB adapter connected to a USB port connected to empty fuse slot. I wrapped a wire around a washer and soldered so the wire can't move and put it under one of the nuts down there for the ground.
Sponsored